P500 Homemade windshield vs aftermarket ?

RTM1500

RTM1500

Oct 15, 2018
Treasure Coast
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey there ,

Debating on a aftermarket windshield or a homemade lexan with rubber mounts windshield. Has anyone out there done a homemade lexan or similar type material for a windshield ?

If not what is the best windshield for the P5 where riding is mostly warm climate and dust will be an issue.

Do half windshields even do anything to provide wind/rain/dirt protection ?

Don’t be shy chime in

Rick

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would recommend a hard coat aftermarket that you can open . There are many very good ones.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I will second the hardcoat recommendation. I have seen a few homemade ones and they were scratched up and worse. A couple looked like whoever cut them out was drunk. If you get a windshield you will need some sort of back cab enclosure unless you really like dust. I got a Tusk vinyl version and it has done very good so far. No problems trailering at up to 65 mph. My front is a Seizmik. It is not perfect but does OK

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree on hard coat and dust vortex issue. 1/2 summer, full OEM in winter. If buying a machine from dealer, got mine thrown in for free to make the deal. Otherwise, many good choices aftermarket. Doesn’t hurt to try.

RTM1500

RTM1500

Oct 15, 2018
Treasure Coast
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Okay good to know .. I was worried about scratching lots of trees and brush to worry about where I ride.

I’m going to be looking into aftermarket . Any specific brands anyone would recommend ? Not looking for top of the line

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
You will also have a lot more heat in the cab with the windshield. In the cooler months is actually feels good but in the warm times it can get downright hot. My windshield is the vented version which helps with the heat but by no means eliminates it. I plan on pulling the windshield off come spring and leaving it off until the woods spiders get thick about June around here

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Only recommendation I will make is to spend the money on a hard coat if you go full windshield. I started with a half windshield and ended up with a full windshield. I ride WV and can tolerate the full windshield year round. If you are in a hotter climate consider a folder or vented .

RTM1500

RTM1500

Oct 15, 2018
Treasure Coast
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Full windshield in the summer is like sitting in an aquarium. I put the half shield back on as soon as possible. :cool:

What does the half windshield offer.. does it actually provide wind protection ? or is it more for the aesthetics aspect ?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What does the half windshield offer.. does it actually provide wind protection ? or is it more for the aesthetics aspect ?

If you have a back panel, most of the wind goes over the top so it does provide some wind deflection. I like it because I can see much better and don't need to bother dusting and cleaning it all the time. Looks better too IMO. I've only been caught in one rain that was bad, we stopped under a tree and just laughed the whole time. It was warm though and we dried out once we started moving again.

RTM1500

RTM1500

Oct 15, 2018
Treasure Coast
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you have a back panel, most of the wind goes over the top so it does provide some wind deflection. I like it because I can see much better and don't need to bother dusting and cleaning it all the time. Looks better too IMO. I've only been caught in one rain that was bad, we stopped under a tree and just laughed the whole time. It was warm though and we dried out once we started moving again.

Yeah i think im going to lean towards a haf shield.. where i ride it to often gets above 90 degrees

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
when i looked into making my own windshield out of MR10 coated polycarbonate it cost roughly the same as buying one. you also didnt have to worry about finding someone to split the cost of the 4x8 sheet with, having a template, having a router, etc. EMP has ready to go hard coat windshield with fast straps for 200$. Their windshields have performed great over the years.

For half windshields id look for one that has a wind deflector, or a little lip at the top. this keeps the wind bearable even at high speeds while still giving you a breeze.

Reactions: Chadwick1968
RTM1500

RTM1500

Oct 15, 2018
Treasure Coast
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
when i looked into making my own windshield out of MR10 coated polycarbonate it cost roughly the same as buying one. you also didnt have to worry about finding someone to split the cost of the 4x8 sheet with, having a template, having a router, etc. EMP has ready to go hard coat windshield with fast straps for 200$. Their windshields have performed great over the years.

For half windshields id look for one that has a wind deflector, or a little lip at the top. this keeps the wind bearable even at high speeds while still giving you a breeze.

Thank you ! That is exactly the info I was looking for .

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
We like riding in the good weather months in the more open air. Thats why I plan on removing my windshield until the spiders get bad. The numbers of those is unbelievable to folks that don't live around where they are bad. You can run through hundreds of webs in a 10 mile woods ride. They will be building webs on the machine for weeks unless i spray or powerwash.
One suggestion about aftermarket windshields is ask about trailering speeds. Some recommend removing the windshield at some highway speeds. I did not want to be taking mine off just to trailer it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Fix for spider webs with a 1/2 windshield, $10 per spring antenna. Tusk 1/2 windshield that folds down and locks. Like it for summer breeze options, like my old FJ40. P500 - Spider web sticks

62665C39 8D3E 4112 B447 AA4A4EF40417 EFD0493F 59D5 4212 BF6D 259839395118 402DC208 15EE 4D6B 84EA F17C487924E8

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadwick1968
RTM1500

RTM1500

Oct 15, 2018
Treasure Coast
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!