BOX1
Resource icon

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs submitted a new resource:

Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide! - Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

The Pioneer 1000 is a little different from your past Honda ATV or SxS's. With the 1000, there are 3 different categories that need to be discussed. We will try out best to cover them in detail. The idea is to help you complete the oil change at home on your own vs paying a dealer $$$ to do it!
  1. Engine Oil and Filter
  2. DCT Filter
  3. Sub Transmission -...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Not a problem hope it helps some people out. Note I am running Trail Armor skid plates so it will not look exactly the same underneath with OEM skids referring to the picture pointing out the three drain plugs.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
I used the exact same funnel, but removed the screen and the flexible extension on it. It sits nicely in place then.
GREAT WRITE UP! Wish I had looked at it yesterday! My "Eng" is not facing up, but I didn't see any reason why it would have to be.... Very good point about the filter spring, mine sprung away and I had to go looking...but only because I KNEW it was supposed to be there!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Up2It. Thanks.
Reviewing the images, your right! Cant really see a reason for the ENG or DCT to be faced one way or the other.

Reactions: Smitty335
Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
@Up2It. Thanks.
Reviewing the images, your right! Cant really see a reason for the ENG or DCT to be faced one way or the other.
Thanks! I figured that Honda would make the bolt holes not line up if it did make a difference...

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! I figured that Honda would make the bolt holes not line up if it did make a difference...
Never know with these guys. I had front-end rebuilt on my Foreman last fall. Came to pick it up and the a-arms were on backwards lol. I wouldn't have noticed if not for the guards being towards the rear. Still kills me that they would bolt up backwards. That's what I get for letting someone do work that I normally do myself. Lesson learned.

F

fredlp6582

Jul 7, 2015
good I need all the help I can get, thinks fred

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I just used this guide today to change my oil. I did the sub trans as well. I decided to take the skid plates completely off, making it a real clean project. Used Honda Synthetic 10 w 30.
Props to @Hondasxs , @JACKAL , and @hondabob for these instructions. Hondabob suggested putting an old license plate below the oil filters to guide the oil into pan...great idea.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for this. Saved me from looking up which plug is which. Wife and I are heading to the mountain for a quickie (pun intended) lol. This is her first time in the 1000 other than riding on the property

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just changed all mine... Made a heck of a mess with factory skid plate on while doing it...oil comes out of there like a garden hose...but the directions were awesome...can do it in half the time and no mess next time...thanks Jackal...you save us time and money!
Whats your plan to do it with "no mess" next time!

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Have any of you guys tried one of those vacuum oil sucker things? I'm wondering if it would make less of a mess if you got more out first. I've had luck with other vehicles using a piece of folded paper or the box from an oil filter to redirect the oil. Works especially good on GM vehicles that have the factory skid plate to use the oil filter box

BATTLEBOY

BATTLEBOY

Mar 3, 2016
Wilkesboro, NC
Duct Tape some cardboard lips around the drain plug...just had no idea it would come out with so much pressure...lucky I was outside in mulch...LOL

What is anyone's opinion on oil brands...Amsoil? Lucas? motorex?
Anything to improve the terrible shifting sound that the 1000 makes

BATTLEBOY

BATTLEBOY

Mar 3, 2016
Wilkesboro, NC
I put the recommended Honda back in just because it says too. But if anyone had any better luck with smoother shifting...I am all ears (I am a previous Polaris owner) not use to clicking noise of the 1000 yet

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Noob question: Is there any stipulation regarding the warranty when service is done? Either factory tech and/or Honda parts? Not so Noob question: Is there some kind of silcock adapter like the easylube guys install to facilitate an easier draining. Last thing. Thanks again for details like these, it's this kind of thing that makes this site such an amazing resource. I cant wait to revisit these instructions when the time comes.

Reactions: dale5740
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Noob question: Is there any stipulation regarding the warranty when service is done? Either factory tech and/or Honda parts? Not so Noob question: Is there some kind of silcock adapter like the easylube guys install to facilitate an easier draining. Last thing. Thanks again for details like these, it's this kind of thing that makes this site such an amazing resource. I cant wait to revisit these instructions when the time comes.

- You can perform your own general maintaince without voiding the warranty.
- No adaptor
- Thanks, That's why we are here.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!