Honda pioneer oil change

H

Honestone

Apr 30, 2021
Corcoran
Ownership

1. 500
Can I use the same oil if I just changed the oil the day before but just want to check and make sure the oil filter is not back wards?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Can I use the same oil if I just changed the oil the day before but just want to check and make sure the oil filter is not back wards?

Yep.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So you want to check your oil filter?
Don't drain your oil.
You can remove the cover just to check without losing much oil.
BUT. I can't speak for removing the actual filter tho..
You could tilt it with something to the passenger side to even lose less.

Should be cover, spring on the metal side of the filter. The rubber side goes on the engine side.
be careful with those o-rings... and for god sake... Please don't use a torque wrench.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can they be installed backwards on a 500?

Reactions: Honestone
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Just changed mine in my P500 2 days ago. For the 500 the filter is stamped on each metal cap end which side goes to which engine part. Spring goes in first, then the end of the filter with the rubber seal in the middle goes to the filter cover side - seal goes around nipple in cover to seal oil flow through the cover to the oil passage towards the front of the engine.

Also as HondaSxS pointed out- you do not need to drain your oil to remove the filter, just put a clean drain pan under the engine - lined up with the filter housing and catch the oil that comes out. After you check the filter and re-install it, dump that oil in the clean pan back into the oil fill hole. Or, use the oil in the pan to judge how much new oil to add back in to bring the level back where it should be.

Reactions: Honestone
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If u put it backwards it will run about 5 min before locking up. I've fixed and seen this happen more times than I can count, biggest complaint on hondas is why haven't they went to a spin on filter.

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Talk about "cheaping out"...Why could Honda not put an o'ring in with the oil filter.....Not impressed

R

rickoshea

question on oil changing.anyone know or tried to suck out the old oil like on an outboard motor and a vac tank?i need to pick one up for the new boat and if it works on the honda i'll spend the extra $on a good one,maybe pneumatic.we all know how clean it is to do an oilchange on a pioneer 🤣

Reactions: Prntckt

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!