"Honda reliability, I guess."

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got my Talon shortly after moving to Utah after I learned they could be licensed and driven on the street pretty much anywhere I wanted to go, and the offroad sticker was usually enough in most rural areas such as mine. With literally hundreds of miles of trails just in my county alone, I knew I would be able to enjoy my pricey new toy often, instead of going through the hassle of trailering it to some random spot just for a weekend ride, then storing it for months until the next chance to camp and ride came along. Besides the trails through national forest and BLM land, the hops to the grocery store or post office make the Talon useful as well as ornamental.

Fast forward to this past 4th of July weekend, I had a nice ride planned out exploring the geology of the Markagunt plateau and the various stream tributaries eroding away from Cedar Breaks that eventually join the Virgin River and continue to carve out Zion Canyon. Either that or just a good excuse to blast along some new trails around southern Utah. Near sunset, I deviated from my planned route to dash up to the top of 11k+ft Brian Head peak in order to catch the full moon rising along with a colorful sunset enhanced by CA wildfire smoke. While up there, I bumped into some weekend tourists riding SxSs together. They were a couple in a non-memorable belt driven unit, and a solo guy in a new Yamaha YXZ. I was mildly interested in the YXZ since it was the only other option with an actual transmission when I was shopping. We chatted a bit, they asked for some local advice on trails to explore, and I mentioned I was about 90 miles into a 120ish mile trip. This revelation totally flabbergasted them; the concept of a SxS riding solo that far with no support team or chase vehicle on standby was apparently entirely foreign to their belt driven life. That part of our conversation ended with the YXZ dude saying :”Honda reliability, I guess.”

Rides like the one above are common for me. A couple times a week I’ll hop in my Talon and go explore. Short trips are 50ish miles long, longer ones extend to 120-130 miles, and lately these are usually at night since it’s cooler at 10k feet than at home. My main limit on trip length is how long do I want my dogs left home alone. That Honda reliability quote popped back into my head the other evening when I was out in the middle of the Escalante Desert, after dark, and roughly 30 miles from the nearest known outpost of civilization. The GPS said I was on a trail, but the only signs I had to follow were wild horse hoof prints and piles of horse crap. Actual tire tracks were rare as I slalomed between the juniper and pinyon trees in a pitch black no-name canyon. I made my way out of the canyon and eventually found signs of man again, unfortunately those signs were where all the local pig farms were tucked safely away from towns and people. Since I was now on a network of graded gravel roads, I was able to leave the swine stench behind with a quickness and dive back onto the desert trails that led home.

So, I have to wonder, am I nuts to depend on “Honda reliability?” I know that riding alone has increased risks, I’ve taken steps to mitigate those risks by carrying gas, water, recovery equipment, two independent GPS systems, and a first aid kit. Since I am often well beyond cell tower range, I am working towards adding HAM radio and learning how to use that, too. I ride (usually) established trails, but I do hustle along, averaging about 25 - 30 MPH for many trips. I don’t often need 4WD or low gear, instead, throttle and momentum get me through most trail challenges I come across.

On a side note, I’ve not needed the gas yet. My farthest run to date is 136 miles, with 6.0 gallons added for ~22.5MPG. Those are the raw, uncorrected for 30” tires figures. In theory I went about 7% farther on the larger tires, which bumps the MPG to about 25. (In reality, the 7% theory seems closer to 3% at the sidewall squish zone.)

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you can’t believe in the ability of you machine to get you back, I’d get something different.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I dunno.
I grew up in a place where solo bush travel was the norm.
Carry a weeks worth of water and 10% extra gas.
Watching the US overlanding YouTube shows they seam to think you have to travel in a group (and have winch training and a $500 sleeping bag).

It dosent bother me to head off in my p500.
I'm so over confident I usally take my wife with me (if I ever strand her in the middle of nowhere you know she will inflict a Bahama boat cruise on me).
I carry enough stuff to survive over night if needed (plastic tarp, para cord and blankets).

The only time I worry is when I'm halfway threw a bad wash out or somthing, the p500 feels like it just might want to roll over and it dawns on me the nearest tree looks more than my winch cable away.
Gun it and keep going.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I live in northern Canada where you can be hundreds of miles from people, so I guess it’s kinda normal to me... just carry water, always have a winch to pull yourself out (not useful in the desert I suppose) and a way to call for help. Worst case scenario hit the emergency button on the spot gps thing and wait for SAR. That is part of the reason I bought the talon though, no belt and Honda reliability

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I live in northern Canada where you can be hundreds of miles from people, so I guess it’s kinda normal to me... just carry water, always have a winch to pull yourself out (not useful in the desert I suppose) and a way to call for help. Worst case scenario hit the emergency button on the spot gps thing and wait for SAR. That is part of the reason I bought the talon though, no belt and Honda reliability
Of the few KRX's I see, they are bought and ridden in groups of like minded people so when they break you got a ride. It's good to see Honda folks venturing out on their own covering many miles alone.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So, I have to wonder, am I nuts to depend on “Honda reliability?” I know that riding alone has increased risks, I’ve taken steps to mitigate those risks by carrying gas, water, recovery equipment, two independent GPS systems, and a first aid kit.
I routinely do 50, 60, even occasionally 100+ (rare at the moment) mile rides solo.
Is it crazy? I don't think so...Not if you're not stupid. Part of being "not stupid" is buying a machine that will bring you back, and that, for me, is a Honda, despite their shortcomings. Honestly, anything Japanese would be fine.
Another part of being "not stupid"...as you mentioned, is being prepared. In addition to what you listed, I now carry a personal satellite locater/communication device, since cell service usually doesn't exist in the bottom of canyons.

I keep it on me. Not on the machine. On me...so that, if an accident should occur, I don't have to move to set off the SOS.
As @lee said, the accident scenario seems to be the most likely to cause issues, esp since I have to increasingly dodge RZR's and Can Am's heading towards me at high speed.

And I LOL and your "overlanding" comment, @lee. You know these guys are bored when the new fad is "retro" gear overlanding with equipment from the 70's. Somewhere, their grandparents are like "WTF? No way you come from my loins".

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After many thousands of miles solo on a dirt bike in Utah's backcountry, before SPOTs and cell phones, I finally aged out and bought a Talon to keep me out in the desert backcountry for the rest of my life. A SxS is orders of magnitude safer than a bike and a SPOT (or similar) seems downright boring, well except for the stunning scenery, which is why I'm there in the first place.

I may seek out other SxS riders to share in the experience though, it might add to the experience - it would at least give me a place to hook the winch. :oops: Jap rides only tho, I'm not a tow truck or rescue vehicle. :p

I sure wish we could plate them here. 😭

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I dunno.
I grew up in a place where solo bush travel was the norm.
Carry a weeks worth of water and 10% extra gas.
Watching the US overlanding YouTube shows they seam to think you have to travel in a group (and have winch training and a $500 sleeping bag).

It dosent bother me to head off in my p500.
I'm so over confident I usally take my wife with me (if I ever strand her in the middle of nowhere you know she will inflict a Bahama boat cruise on me).
I carry enough stuff to survive over night if needed (plastic tarp, para cord and blankets).

The only time I worry is when I'm halfway threw a bad wash out or somthing, the p500 feels like it just might want to roll over and it dawns on me the nearest tree looks more than my winch cable away.
Gun it and keep going.

Carry an extra winch cable with loops on each end.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not to say that nobody is prepared properly, but having been in SAR, I'd say if some folks hauled out a few body bags they might not have such a cavalier attitude.
Nah. Plenty of body bags get hauled off interstates right in the middle of major cities every day. If this is the way I die, so be it. I'll take that over a slow death on the couch or with some stranger wiping my ass in a nursing home.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
^^^ Yup. Although my younger sister doesn't like me off in the backcountry alone, she knows that if I die out there, I was right where I wanted to be when it happened.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
If I die in the backcountry, due to exposure/rolling off a cliff/whatever, it is what it is. I'll be very prepared with GPS messengers, survival gear etc, but I would so much rather that than having a cager plow into me riding a motorbike, or wither away to nothing in a nursing home. I'd much rather 50 amazing years than 50 boring years + 30 s***ty years.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your absolutely right I have no problem loading my 3 kids up and my wife and going anywhere ,a good winch couple tow straps and a honda, any honda always gets u home there's certain brands that we won't allow to ride with us, listening to people brag about how fast and powerful there 30g sxs are gets old. A hour in broken tierods ,broken belt, on something that has 150 miles on it then want u to waste your day getting there 30g sxs back out to pavement, not me p1000-5 1400 miles since May oil changes only haven't touched anything its a honda. treat it right it will treat u right.

J

JTW

If you all really think that just because it’s a Honda it won’t leave your ass stranded... LMAO!! They all fail.. false security and over confidence will get you in trouble. I’m all for having a machine for the job. But you’re nuts are lose if you think just because we have Honda's we’re somehow immune to the SHTF! Being prepared and having the right mindset to “fix” a situation is your best option. Riding with a buddy is a smart move. But if you’re prepared for a worst case scenario and you ride with some sense... I like what you’re doing!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you all really think that just because it’s a Honda it won’t leave your ass stranded... LMAO!! They all fail.. false security and over confidence will get you in trouble. I’m all for having a machine for the job. But you’re nuts are lose if you think just because we have Honda's we’re somehow immune to the SHTF! Being prepared and having the right mindset to “fix” a situation is your best option. Riding with a buddy is a smart move. But if you’re prepared for a worst case scenario and you ride with some sense... I like what you’re doing!
Yeah, I just heard someone talking about these new KRX’s leaving people stranded and having to walk miles to get back to civilization. 😂 all jokes aside, you’re absolutely right.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's no false anything, the farthest thing from my mind when I head out is the sxs breaking down.everything has problems I have put many of p1000 in e mode to get them home. Thinking like that is what makes me trust them. if u feel comfortable riding by yourself do it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!