BOX1

Talon Honda survey....

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’m skipping ST, mine are going out to Weller. Fox makes them, the podiums are on multiple brands of SXS, the biggest issue is they are setup and valved to Honda specs. I don’t mind that they chose the spring rate and valving that they did because I would have them reworked anyway. Manufacturers cant set them up for how a single person rides or where they ride. My biggest beef is the lack of adjustment, wish they had the hi-lo and rebound adjusters.

There is also MTS Offroad in PHX, and they have done Talons. They may also have a location in Utah???

Reactions: CincyCuda68
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m skipping ST, mine are going out to Weller.
My biggest beef is the lack of adjustment, wish they had the hi-lo and rebound adjusters.

Both these companies are relatively local to me and seem to have good reputations. ST offers the high and low speed adjuster modification to the Talon's Fox shocks. I bought my Talon used and the previous owner had ST do the suspension so I have no idea if the end result is the same, curious as to why you picked Weller over Shock Therapy.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Both these companies are relatively local to me and seem to have good reputations. ST offers the high and low speed adjuster modification to the Talon's Fox shocks. I bought my Talon used and the previous owner had ST do the suspension so I have no idea if the end result is the same, curious as to why you picked Weller over Shock Therapy.
Well I spoke to both and Weller asked many more questions as well as asked about the build to determine the correct spring rate and valving. ST didn’t give me a good feeling. ST felt more like ok you ride in the woods, this is what you need. Weller actually races machines and has that experience in setups. And lastly and most important I had conversations offline with several people that had bad experiences with ST and two of them were local to ST and Weller and both had ST remove their stuff and went to Weller. So that’s how I came to my decision. I’m sure both companies have many satisfied customers but I feel like Weller had way more interest in fine tuning exactly what I want.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's good info, thanks. I always try to pay attention to which way my gut steers me, doesn't always pan out the way I hope but sharing these experiences will hopefully help others make informed decisions.

I didn't have any experience riding my Talon with stock suspension so I have nothing to compare it with but I was very happy with the suspension performance until I added a couple of hundred pounds (actually probably about 300 counting the full skid plate) of weight. I increased the preload and it helped but I couldn't be sure I had the proper spring rates. I just got my Talon back today from ST and they set the ride height, adjusted the crossover rings and told me I still had the proper spring rate for the current weight of the car. They also added a bit of nitrogen, said it was a little low, they recommend 200psi.

I was happily surprised when it was time to settle the bill, I was told there would be no charge! I gave them enough to cover lunch for the guys to show my gratitude. No business can please everyone but my experience so far has been very positive. I hope to have the chance to give Weller Racing a try if the need arises. We cant have enough businesses doing right by the customer as far as I'm concerned.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's good info, thanks. I always try to pay attention to which way my gut steers me, doesn't always pan out the way I hope but sharing these experiences will hopefully help others make informed decisions.

I didn't have any experience riding my Talon with stock suspension so I have nothing to compare it with but I was very happy with the suspension performance until I added a couple of hundred pounds (actually probably about 300 counting the full skid plate) of weight. I increased the preload and it helped but I couldn't be sure I had the proper spring rates. I just got my Talon back today from ST and they set the ride height, adjusted the crossover rings and told me I still had the proper spring rate for the current weight of the car. They also added a bit of nitrogen, said it was a little low, they recommend 200psi.

I was happily surprised when it was time to settle the bill, I was told there would be no charge! I gave them enough to cover lunch for the guys to show my gratitude. No business can please everyone but my experience so far has been very positive. I hope to have the chance to give Weller Racing a try if the need arises. We cant have enough businesses doing right by the customer as far as I'm concerned.
I don’t have anything bad to say about ST, I just didn’t get the feeling that they were as in depth as Weller and after speaking to people that weren’t happy with them and hearing how things were handled I made my decision. The bad part is I have no way to verify the stories. So it really just came down to my gut instinct on which to go with.
I’m glad they took care of you, I went through all that, every accessory I have, weights of me and my GF, where we ride, how hard I push the machine etc etc.
the other thing that they suggested was the adjustable sway bar so when it all gets here and I have a chance to test, I’ll post in this thread.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh yeah, the Eibach sway bar, I got one but haven't experimented with adjustments yet.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well I spoke to both and Weller asked many more questions as well as asked about the build to determine the correct spring rate and valving. ST didn’t give me a good feeling. ST felt more like ok you ride in the woods, this is what you need. Weller actually races machines and has that experience in setups. And lastly and most important I had conversations offline with several people that had bad experiences with ST and two of them were local to ST and Weller and both had ST remove their stuff and went to Weller. So that’s how I came to my decision. I’m sure both companies have many satisfied customers but I feel like Weller had way more interest in fine tuning exactly what I want.
I spoke with Weller as well as Shock Therapy, but at the time Weller wasn’t doing shocks for the X model, so that closed that door for me. ST asked me a bunch of questions beyond what kind of riding, like, driver/passenger weight, winch?, skid plate... material?, Cargo box w/contents?, Roof... material?, tools?, spare tire?, tires/wheels size?, Spare tire?... size?, etc. so, hopefully they got me all dialed in!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!