BOX1

Honda Talon 1000 i4WD rock crawling - Impossible without a locker!

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
This video does a great job of showing off the i4wd of the Honda Talon.
Worth a share.

Did he brake any axles?

You are correct slow speed creeping up rock is not going to work.

Time tell's all.

A year from now when there is plenty of seat time to sort the Talon out my money is going to be on the fact that the Talons are not going to be breaking parts.

When you get a machine spinning and bouncing the stress on axles and the diff's on a fully locked machine is off the charts the I 4WD using the brakes will offer enough slippage as not to snap as many axles and break things.

Wait and see I 4WD all the way baby!

When they first released the Talon I was very disappointed the more I see and read about it the better I like it and it is getting harder and harder not to buy one. LOL

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did he brake any axles?

You are correct slow speed creeping up rock is not going to work.

Time tell's all.

A year from now when there is plenty of seat time to sort the Talon out my money is going to be on the fact that the Talons are not going to be breaking parts.

When you get a machine spinning and bouncing the stress on axles and the diff's on a fully locked machine is off the charts the I 4WD using the brakes will offer enough slippage as not to snap as many axles and break things.

Wait and see I 4WD all the way baby!

When they first released the Talon I was very disappointed the more I see and read about it the better I like it and it is getting harder and harder not to buy one. LOL
I agree.
I expect we will see this in other Honda sxs's 2021 and even other brands by 2022.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wow, that was quite the ledge to get over. Impressed it made it without much if any momentum like it did. I know I have bee in a few situations with the P1K5LE thinking it probably wouldn't pull through or over especially with OEM tires, but I have always gotten through with I-4WD doing its thing.

J

JTW

Worth a share.

Interesting.. I sure the advantage when you’re talk wheel hop. I’d have to drive one to be converted. I just don’t see it with regards to slow crawling.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There was some pretty good wheel hop at the end of the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’ll cut you!

To which @lee could say......
Images 1

Oilcan

Oilcan

Feb 17, 2019
Sackville NS
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Worth a share.

Sure does... I've had a Rincon and a Rancher since 2003.. The front ends work exactly the same except you (the human) need to apply a little front brake to make the non spinning wheel spin. Now with the inclusion of electronics, the Talon does the same job only the user input (us humans) is no longer required.... Bet we will still see those who insist on a locker of some sort, which in my humble opinion is like putting 33" BFG K2's tires on a Bicycle.

J

JTW

Sure does... I've had a Rincon and a Rancher since 2003.. The front ends work exactly the same except you (the human) need to apply a little front brake to make the non spinning wheel spin. Now with the inclusion of electronics, the Talon does the same job only the user input (us humans) is no longer required.... Bet we will still see those who insist on a locker of some sort, which in my humble opinion is like putting 33" BFG K2's tires on a Bicycle.
That’s not exactly correct

Reactions: Isaiah and dpnorth
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Just because you can make something work doesn't mean that it's a good way to do it and it dang sure don't make it superior. I love almost everything about the Talon and I want one, but not until either Honda or the after-market offers a real, actual locker for the front end. I don't want any wheel spin or hop when rock crawling. I don't want to wait on the machine to determine when I need to be fully locked. Sorry, but this type of pseudo-locker is not the answer. Honda did such an amazing job with this machine, and then they killed it for me by not offering a true locker in the front.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Oooooh are we talking about I-4wd in here!? Sounds fun,Just remember it’s pretty terrible and if you lose brakes you lose 4wd which Im not sure what brakes are I lose them so often. Make a true locker for those that aren’t scared of using it as an option on the machine, not a hard solution.

Let me break as many damn axles as I want, so I can learn to drive correctly vs letting sensor apply a brake that I probably won’t have for me.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
You’re still around! Good to hear from you again
Hey man; it's good to see you again! I sold my Pioneer 1000-5 after owning it for only a few months (it was burning my back from the heat, I'm sure they've developed a fix for it by now?) but the Talon has a firm grip on my attention. I have absolutely no practical use for it at all, but I just want one. Bad. :) When somebody develops a real front locker for it, I'll bring home an R in red.
I still use my Rhinos and Teryx around the ranch and I bought a Kubota RTV with a front mounted PTO powered snowblower for moving snow. I've never bought a machine before just for fun though, and I'm thinking the Talon is just what I need for my mid-life crisis. It was that or a younger woman, and I think the Talon will bring far less drama. :D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey man; it's good to see you again! I sold my Pioneer 1000-5 after owning it for only a few months (it was burning my back from the heat, I'm sure they've developed a fix for it by now?) but the Talon has a firm grip on my attention. I have absolutely no practical use for it at all, but I just want one. Bad. :) When somebody develops a real front locker for it, I'll bring home an R in red.
I still use my Rhinos and Teryx around the ranch and I bought a Kubota RTV with a front mounted PTO powered snowblower for moving snow. I've never bought a machine before just for fun though, and I'm thinking the Talon is just what I need for my mid-life crisis. It was that or a younger woman, and I think the Talon will bring far less drama. :D
I guess I’m kinda in same boat, never bought a sxs just for me. This time I’m waiting for a couple things I want to become available for the machine and for someone else to get all the bugs out. Not to mention the aftermarket open way up with options. I’ll be going for a white X myself.

Reactions: JACKAL and TripleB
Oilcan

Oilcan

Feb 17, 2019
Sackville NS
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Oooooh are we talking about I-4wd in here!? Sounds fun,Just remember it’s pretty terrible and if you lose brakes you lose 4wd which Im not sure what brakes are I lose them so often. Make a true locker for those that aren’t scared of using it as an option on the machine, not a hard solution.

Let me break as many damn axles as I want, so I can learn to drive correctly vs letting sensor apply a brake that I probably won’t have for me.
If's and maybes sound reasoning um hum

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!