BOX1

Talon Honda Talon pricing Game 2.0

Honda Talon “X” and “R” price quesstimate (one vote for each, total of 2votes)

• X under 16,500

• X 16,500-17,500

• X 17,500-18,500

• X 18,500-19,500

• X 19,500-20,500

• X over 20,500

• R under 17,500

• R 17,500-18,500

• R 18,500-19,500

• R 19,500-20,500

• R 20,500-21,500

• R over 21,500

Results are only viewable after voting.
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
all depends, i havent bought a honda before this one, in all my years buying powersports, there has been some other machine that is decent enough quality wise for far less money typically kawi or yamaha. but now the pioneer 500 and 700 are fairly priced in the market and even might think about the forman eps for my next quad when that happen just because they are now the same price or a little less than the kawi and grizz, thet was never the case before, honda was always like 50 percent more take it or leave it for the same class machine, because they sold anyway. so if they start changing everything price wise like the pioneer with the talon they will have a bunch of sales but i dont think so, they are more thinking yxz and can am for comparisons, which are 20s

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cuoutdoors, that's kind of how I figured their company make up would look. I don't expect them to do everything I was talking about, I was more or less just saying that's what they would need to do if they wanted to get ahead of the game in the side-by-side Market. But like you pointed out, that isn't where the money is for them. And I certainly don't blame them for chasing the money and growing their company. I guess the real question now would be, should we continue to be brand loyal and faithful to a company who only devotes 1% of their resources to the product we are considering purchasing?
I hope you didn't feel like my comments were directed at you. I did not intend to sound that way. I just decided to put some numbers down to add to discussion.

I grew up riding hondas so like many of us they have some sentimental value. I will buy a Honda based on 2 things.
1. They provide a machine that does what I need it to do.
2. They are at a "reasonable" price.

I used to race hair scrambles on Can Am Outlanders and renegades because Honda didn't have a machine anywhere close to that level of performance. I was very happy with can am.

Now the pioneer does everything I need and I couldn't be happier. I know of several people with over 15000 miles on their Honda side-by-side. On the average Honda still has incredible reliability.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope you didn't feel like my comments were directed at you. I did not intend to sound that way. I just decided to put some numbers down to add to discussion.

Not at all man :)

I'm glad you posted that info. I was googling that stuff the other day without any luck. I guess I could just read their annual reports... but it seemed like Google would have answered the question faster lol.

I'm curious how big of a piece of the pie each brand gets in a chart showing side x side sales in the US only. Would be sweet to see number of units sold, sales in dollars, and profits made, all in separate pie charts.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know how many of you are interested in business economics but Honda makes their decisions based on money and not based on weather or not some redneck in the middle of America wants better shocks, better 4 wheel drive, better seats, more suspension travel, blah blah blah they don't give a damn what you all want and here is why.

I like numbers - I do think Honda cares what the mass of the people want and more importantly will buy. I guarantee they have spent a ton of time figuring out the potential market share and how long it would take to impact that. There is also as you mention @Cuoutdoors the size of the pie - because we are enthusiast our view is a little different. Be interesting to see % breakdowns on accessories added to our Hondas...

Here is a snapshot of the Market in 2016 - Granted a lot has changes with new models and new players stepping up - wish we could see market share for 2017/18 to see the change
Upload 2018 12 20 16 45 6

I recreated to add in some % measurements -
Upload 2018 12 20 16 47 1

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda has never been a company that gets aggressive about taking market share and that won't be starting any time soon. Polaris built the first Ranger in 1999 and Honda came along at lightning speed and built the BIG RED 12 years later in 2011. It was a big flop and it took 5 more years until 2016 to produce a full size SXS to compete and released the Pioneer 1000. Artic cat released their first Prowler in 2006 and Polaris released the first RZR in 2007. Again Honda is working at the pace of geriatric sea turtles and has decided to join in the fun. They are once again 12 years late to the party with the Talon.

I don't know how many of you are interested in business economics but Honda makes their decisions based on money and not based on weather or not some redneck in the middle of America wants better shocks, better 4 wheel drive, better seats, more suspension travel, blah blah blah they don't give a damn what you all want and here is why.

In the power sports industry Honda sells about 700,000 units TOTAL in the United States. In Asia they sell nearly 18 MILLION! Further, take a look at the graph.
View attachment 98234

Out of Honda's total portfolio their Power sports business AKA Motorcycle business makes up just 12.3% Out of that 12.3% North American motorcycle sales are just a sliver making up 1.164% of the total sales revenue for Honda. Now the "power product and other" category is their lawn mowers, generators, and that kind of stuff.

So there you have it. We are 1.164% of the shyt Honda cares about. If you are a person makes 50,000 dollars in a year, 1.164% equates to $820. How much time are you going to devote to worrying about the crowd paying you $820 of your annual salary? You're going to take your sweet ass time addressing what they want and string them along. Money is money so you keep them around so long as it doesn't become too big of a hassle to the rest of your life.

You guys can all yell about all the things you think Honda should be doing in regards to prices in our little power sports world but its not going to change. They sell more scooters in one week in Asia than total number of SXS's sold in the USA in an entire year.
Just what are you trying to say? HA! It is rumored in Japan they go by the size of there wallet, not kahunas, to judge manhood, HA!

Reactions: jwfirebird
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I like numbers - I do think Honda cares what the mass of the people want and more importantly will buy. I guarantee they have spent a ton of time figuring out the potential market share and how long it would take to impact that. There is also as you mention @Cuoutdoors the size of the pie - because we are enthusiast our view is a little different. Be interesting to see % breakdowns on accessories added to our Hondas...

Here is a snapshot of the Market in 2016 - Granted a lot has changes with new models and new players stepping up - wish we could see market share for 2017/18 to see the change
View attachment 98285

I recreated to add in some % measurements -
View attachment 98287
You just whip that up real quick? lol. Nicely done. Would be cool had they broke Honda down too. Hope to see one for ‘18 as I’m curious on how the Pioneer/Ranger battle has changed. I’ll but there’s a chunk missing

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You just whip that up real quick? lol. Nicely done. Would be cool had they broke Honda down too. Hope to see one for ‘18 as I’m curious on how the Pioneer/Ranger battle has changed. I’ll but there’s a chunk missing
I really want to see some updated numbers too. I am not sure why now but I was surprised to see how dominate Ranger really is.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I really want to see some updated numbers too. I am not sure why now but I was surprised to see how dominate Ranger really is.
That surprised me as well at least to that degree! I’ll bet Honda has taken a chunk out of that. Between 2015-16 we only knew of 2 other Pioneers in this whole area, that’s changed.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd like to see some new numbers too. Theres an old saying in the business world that "the first one to 30% wins" . Polaris beat everyone by a long shot in getting to that number. Once a company gets to that level it is very difficult to take away market share, Not impossible but very difficult.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Cuoutdoors, that's kind of how I figured their company make up would look. I don't expect them to do everything I was talking about, I was more or less just saying that's what they would need to do if they wanted to get ahead of the game in the side-by-side Market. But like you pointed out, that isn't where the money is for them. And I certainly don't blame them for chasing the money and growing their company. I guess the real question now would be, should we continue to be brand loyal and faithful to a company who only devotes 1% of their resources to the product we are considering purchasing?

Simple, get more Asians to buy SXS instead of mopeds, If there was a market for selling 500,000 sport sxs a year you could bet your ass they would be in it to win it.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No Smitty it cannot do this...
View attachment 98206
But it would haul back enough wood for a regular campfire lol. Also skid logs back to camp and such. What I am saying is as far as a workhorse underneath it’s still there. My wife and I get by very easily with the Wolverine box and it’s not huge. I’m guessing the Talon is at least half and it would have easy ability to pull a trailer. Things that honestly I would use it for but not most other sport rigs. I would use it more then just ride from camp. I can promise Ang and I could easily take it for a weekend, and especially at a resort like a lot of people camp exclusively at.
What brand of saw, Husky?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So people think $22-$23K is way too high, check out this loaded YXZ price, doesn't include all the race stuff that puts it over $46K.

20181222 073316

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
wow yxz seems like mistake even, i saw two left over at the one dealer 17 or 18, was like 16 or 17 plus tax and fees, the sport utvs dont sell.
kinda surprised at the number of full size rangers too, you see more of those definately but hunters. far more farms and contractors around here with the mules and deeres, kubotas you see more than full size ranger too

Reactions: Plumber32
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last time I was at Ride One in Hilliard, Ohio they were still sitting on a brand new 16 model at 13,999 I believe.

Reactions: BWAF
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!