BOX1

Honda Talon roof mount failure

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just another problem to add to the list... I was reading the other thread about talon roof's, and went to look at how the factory one mounts, i've noticed when washing it that it's quite loose, this is why... The entire rear mount has ripped out of the roof. Lovely.

IMG 1275

IMG 1276

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've seen some folks cut that riser off flush and bolt the roof directly to the ROPS bracket to gain some overhead clearance (think toyhauler). They think it looks better too, fwiw.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just another problem to add to the list... I was reading the other thread about talon roof's, and went to look at how the factory one mounts, i've noticed when washing it that it's quite loose, this is why... The entire rear mount has ripped out of the roof. Lovely.

View attachment 283598

View attachment 283599

Interesting, yet curious, have you by chance been towing on an open trailer with the Talon facing backwards? I can see where at highway speeds it could be damaged being hauled backwards.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

View attachment 283598

View attachment 283599
Well, now you can bolt it straight to the cage and get the @Plumber32 look….😎👍

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Interesting, yet curious, have you by chance been towing on an open trailer with the Talon facing backwards? I can see where at highway speeds it could be damaged being hauled backwards.

Yes I am, which the owners manual states is perfectly fine. Obviously not. Lol

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its made to tow backwards, even on a 14' trailer id think it needs to be for weight dist. At least the 4 seat.

H

HondaTech

Honda quite literally touted the roof vents as a feature to haul the machine backwards.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Its made to tow backwards, even on a 14' trailer id think it needs to be for weight dist. At least the 4 seat.
You're right, the two roof slots at the rear are to prevent lift. This is how my 2R fits on a 14' trailer with 250 lbs. tongue weight (10%). I'd be curious to see if an X4 would have enough TW sitting forward. 🤔

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're right, the two roof slots at the rear are to prevent lift. This is how my 2R fits on a 14' trailer with 250 lbs. tongue weight (10%). I'd be curious to see if an X4 would have enough TW sitting forward. 🤔

View attachment 285004
I'd say most definitely for interstate speeds. On my 24' enclosed I pulled the talon x4 in front forward facing and the wifes wolverine behind it it, next time I'll probably back the talon in you could tell the wolverine in back offset the tongue weight enough to feel it needed more.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!