BOX1

Honda talon stiff power steering

R

Rdj936

Aug 6, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I am having issues with my power steering on my talon x4. It gets stiff from time to time. I have checked the battery by load test, connections, grounds and loose wires. Has anyone else had this issue?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am having issues with my power steering on my talon x4. It gets stiff from time to time. I have checked the battery by load test, connections, grounds and loose wires. Has anyone else had this issue?
@my99svt

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like product improvement campaign is coming

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yup, acts like the front diff is locked, notice it most on dry pavement when going slow

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Only if i run the tires at less than 10 psi. If your front tires are low and you are on a hard surface like pavement or hard pack then the your power steering unit will not be able to keep up.

Reactions: Remington and 906UP
R

Rdj936

Aug 6, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I’m running 10-12 psi in the tires. I aligned the front also. It turns better when in the garage on slick concrete, but if I get on pavement or the dirt it gets hard to steer. It’s not throwing any codes. Only other thing I’ve though of is recalibrating the steering torque sensor.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I notice it occasionally since I put 30X10X15 tires on (stock tires never did it and neither to my 28" sand tires). Mostly dry pavement when stopped or going real slow but it is not consistent and doesn't happen very often. I have learned to roll slightly when it happens and after a couple thousand miles, I really don't pay much attention to it anymore.

Reactions: CID and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I notice it occasionally since I put 30X10X15 tires on (stock tires never did it and neither to my 28" sand tires). Mostly dry pavement when stopped or going real slow but it is not consistent and doesn't happen very often. I have learned to roll slightly when it happens and after a couple thousand miles, I really don't pay much attention to it anymore.
This is where I'm at.... do I notice it? occasionally.... I really don't see it as a flaw or defect, just a quirk

Reactions: lowranger and CID
R

Rdj936

Aug 6, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Ownership

1. Talon x4
That’s kind of where I’m at with it. It’s weird though, went on a trip to Colorado rode almost 200 miles with no problems. Then got back home and got it it one day to go for a ride and started noticing it. If sitting still it doesn’t assist at all.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How old are you? Most Leo's are dickheads. I turn 46 tomorrow. Lol
This is where I'm at.... do I notice it? occasionally.... I really don't see it as a flaw or defect, just a quirk.
Mine does it when I'm making a U-turn (doing K-turns on a narrow trail). I back uphill, usually pretty steep and the nose down attitude with lots of weight on the front, it'll occasionally hang up until I let it roll a foot and everything returns to normal. Occurrence may be once or twice a day. Stock wheels and tires.

Reactions: lifeisgoodsteve
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
ePowersteering.com has come up with an upgrade. Fully adjustable and is so powerful it requires you to use the big winch power cables for the power source. It is a direct fit kit with on modifications required.

If I get tired of the occasional "blip" or if it goes out completely, I will probably upgrading it. It is slightly more expensive than a stock EPS unit...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
ePowersteering.com has come up with an upgrade. Fully adjustable and is so powerful it requires you to use the big winch power cables for the power source. It is a direct fit kit with on modifications required.

If I get tired of the occasional "blip" or if it goes out completely, I will probably upgrading it. It is slightly more expensive than a stock EPS unit...

They also have a YouTube video and the installation looks fairly straight forward and looks like it can be done in an hour or so...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
They also have a YouTube video and the installation looks fairly straight forward and looks like it can be done in an hour or so...
The dummies put the power and ground studs where the winch contactor lives. 🤔

R

Rdj936

Aug 6, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I
The dummies put the power and ground studs where the winch contactor lives. 🤔
I have seen this setup. I didn’t want to pull the trigger on it if someone had answers to what may be going on with mine.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have seen this setup. I didn’t want to pull the trigger on it if someone had answers to what may be going on with mine.
If it's new enough, it's Honda's problem to fix. If it's only once in a while like mine, I can live with it. If mine poops the bed, I'll keep this in mind but I'll have to relocate the power studs. I'll have an auxiliary battery by then running the winch and steering so everything will be a bit different. It still irritates me that they aren't aware that's where Honda expects the contactor to be, mine was installed by the dealer before I took it home.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If your running 28"s with 12 psi the power steering is ok and may be a bit stiff occasionally on a paved surface. My 19 and 20 Talons are hard to turn on a paved surface with 30's at 10 psi. Off road both are turning ok. I think the power steering is on a 40 amp circuit. A more powerful power steering may damage the steering rack. If you need to run on pavement with large tires try 25 PSI. I'm over 12,000 miles on my 30's so I will be going back to 28's in a month or so. The 30's make it hard to use 6th gear in the high speed sand washes. The long fast wide sand wash sections are annoying when I can't pull 6th gear and the Turbo's are getting away more then I like. With 28's I'm not that far behind I can get a bit over 70. There is only a few places where is is fairly safe to go that fast in this 30 mile long sand wash.

J

Jeremyx4

Apr 29, 2020
New river
Ownership

1. Talon x4
How do you recalibrate the torque sensor? I am having the same sporadic problem. Not bad but noticable

M

martymoe

Jan 6, 2021
wylie tx
Ownership

1. Talon x4
mine has done that since day one, i can be turning and all of a sudden it gets hard (way short of the lock)
the first time i noticed it was when i was picking it up from the dealer and turned it to get it on the trailer, i asked and they said it was normal and it would work its way out.. well it hasnt..
feels the same on the stock tires as it does on the 32's i have on it now..
maybe someone will come up with a fix..
21 x4lv

Reactions: terratrooper
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
mine has done that since day one, i can be turning and all of a sudden it gets hard (way short of the lock)
the first time i noticed it was when i was picking it up from the dealer and turned it to get it on the trailer, i asked and they said it was normal and it would work its way out.. well it hasnt..
feels the same on the stock tires as it does on the 32's i have on it now..
maybe someone will come up with a fix..
21 x4lv
Same issues.

I plan on upgrading to one of these sometime soon.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The design is for 9 inch wide 28 inch tires at 12 psi and Dirven off road. I have the problem on both my 2019 and 2020 talon with wide tires at low pressures.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!