P1000 Honda Warranty Lead Times Help

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hi Everyone,

So a little background real quick. I purchased a 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 SE and had a few issues right out of the gate. Luckily between this forum and the dealer I have been able to get some fixes and answers. For those of you familiar with the Honda warranty program, this question is for you.

At around 40-50 miles I realized that my driver-rear fox shock was not functioning properly. Members on here suggested that since the adjuster was not working, and with the ride quality being as if I am just on the coil alone with 0 shock engagement, the shock may need replacement. I went to a dealer near me and sure enough they said the shock is bad and needs a full replacement. They contacted Honda, got approval to replace my shock, and have it on order....

However, they said that currently Honda is backordered on this shock and that they expect it to take upwards of 6 months to a year, based on the last one they did a warranty on for a customer. Customer had a similar issue but on both front shocks. They placed the order in January and received the parts July 12.

So my question is this. Does Honda give me options on this replacement. Could I simply have a local shop rebuild it and have Honda cover the cost? Or would they allow me to purchase the shock from a dealer in the US that does have one of these in stock and then does Honda cover all that? Or are they similar to other brands and they require you follow their exact process?

I have some major hunts planned this fall and driving 24 hours away and back to get this machine so I could be ready to go for fall was a big part of this for me.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I love the way this set up is, the ride, and the machine itself. Regardless of outcome, Ill be sticking with it for a long time, provided this is the last of my issues (at least for this first 1,000 miles) 100 miles in.

Reactions: ChadD
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m certain that Honda’s not going to cover the expense of another shop rebuilding it. But if you can find one at another dealer, by all means get your dealer to call them and make a swap if they would…👍

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I picked up my SE, the Fox "shock shortage" was given as one of the reasons assembly of new SE's was delayed. That and lack of trucking for shipping had the flow of SE's to just a trickle. Guess staying at home enjoying enhanced welfare benefits is more appealing than driving trucks for some.

You might check with your dealer to see what warranty options, if any, might be available to you.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I would have the shock repaired and send them the bill, and if they don't want to pay it, take them to small claims court.

Reactions: Smitty335
B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
When I picked up my SE, the Fox "shock shortage" was given as one of the reasons assembly of new SE's was delayed. That and lack of trucking for shipping had the flow of SE's to just a trickle. Guess staying at home enjoying enhanced welfare benefits is more appealing than driving trucks for some.

You might check with your dealer to see what warranty options, if any, might be available to you.

Sad but very true. My options are wait for the part, if I want Honda to cover the cost. I put a call in to Honda corporate. Was not happy with the lack of options and requested a call back from a superior. Will see how that goes. I would think, giving the circumstances, they would allow me to have a little leeway.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I would have the shock repaired and send them the bill, and if they don't want to pay it, take them to small claims court.

As a backup plan, I am going to take tomorrow to go get quotes from other shops that work with Fox series equipment. I mean if this is a throw $100 at it and the issue goes away, Im glad to gamble.

I surely cannot wait past September 15th. Thats go time for me and mine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As a backup plan, I am going to take tomorrow to go get quotes from other shops that work with Fox series equipment. I mean if this is a throw $100 at it and the issue goes away, Im glad to gamble.

I would ask them if the Fox's are worth rebuilding.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Yeah, if you’re willing to do that, buy a shock and install it and have one on the shelf once honda gets you one. Keep an eye on the “Buy, Sell, I Wanna” forum here for another member selling Fox shocks.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

If you sue in small claims court you will win because the Hondroids will never show up.

Go ahead, ask me how I know this.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
In situations like you described Honda corporate is not going to offer to work outside of their normal warranty policies.

A lot depends on your dealer. If you bought from a big regional powersports dealer they have influence with Honda and may be able to obtain an outside the box solution. Alternatively, if your dealer will step up and purchase the part out of another dealer's inventory they may be able to obtain reimbursement from Honda - at least for the labor to install. Your dealer might have to eat the cost of the part.

Another alternative is you might be able to contact Honda direct and negotiate a solution. Honda and a big powersports dealer can create a solution to almost any problem if they want to. Your persuasive skills might be the key.

Ultimately, your ability to use and enjoy your machine for scheduled events is most important. The easiest solution is to simply reach for your wallet and make it happen. It's not a lot of money.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If you sue in small claims court you will win because the Hondroids will never show up.

Go ahead, ask me how I know this.
Ill bite..... What happened?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ill bite..... What happened?
I have seen it many times, on one occasion, end user seizes engine on power washer. Both dealer and tech rep agree, no oil thus no warranty. End user files small claims for price of power washer. No Hondroid is going to show up in court for $399. End user wins.

I have seen Honda pay bills sent to them if they were wronged. If you can get it repaired, I would say do it, and send Honda the bill. And if they fail to pay, send them to small claims court.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!