BOX1

P1000 Honda wont start. Found rat inside the machine.

C

ctark

Mar 10, 2019
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got in my Honda yesterday and went to start it. It cranks but it but never actually starts. I saw the gas gauge only had a bar and thought I'd check the gas tank just to make sure and when I went over to the passenger side to take the lid off, I see a rat tail right by the cap. After that I'm going with the assumption that the rat chewed something up. I've looked under the hood and under the dump bed. I believe the rat was making a home in the compartments behind and under the front seat. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? Should I be looking for specific wires?

Machine is a 2018. Honda Pioneer 1000-5 LE. Cant think of any reason why it wouldn't start other than the rat. Machine has less than 1000 miles on it and is primarily used around the property and city streets.

• Wow
Reactions: rtn001 and Russ989
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got in my Honda yesterday and went to start it. It cranks but it but never actually starts. I saw the gas gauge only had a bar and thought I'd check the gas tank just to make sure and when I went over to the passenger side to take the lid off, I see a rat tail right by the cap.
Was it still attached to the rat? :oops:

After that I'm going with the assumption that the rat chewed something up. I've looked under the hood and under the dump bed. I believe the rat was making a home in the compartments behind and under the front seat. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? Should I be looking for specific wires?

Machine is a 2018. Honda Pioneer 1000-5 LE. Cant think of any reason why it wouldn't start other than the rat. Machine has less than 1000 miles on it and is primarily used around the property and city streets.
Rodents gnaw everything, wiring being their favorite snack - you'll just have to look until you find the damage, it could be anywhere a rat can fit into. 😭

Reactions: rtn001 and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Have u checked for spark? Fuel? Injector plugs (wiring) seem to get loose on some of these sometimes. Sound like you might have a little bit of investigating to do just in case the little effer chewed somtn. Good luck

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
New wire dyes are soy based, so they are tasty. Particularly the blue ones. (no joke). Check every wire you can find on the entire machine! Good luck.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Tough to say where the problem could lie.

Side note: I have a habbit of shutting my machine of as I coast into the garage. One time I came out and didn't get in just reached in to start it like always and nothing happened. I dicked around for an hour looking for a problem before realizing I hadn't put it in park after coasting in last time.

Sounds like a good chance the mouse is your problem but don't overlook the simple stuff. Machine in park or foot on brake.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Tough to say where the problem could lie.

Side note: I have a habbit of shutting my machine of as I coast into the garage. One time I came out and didn't get in just reached in to start it like always and nothing happened. I dicked around for an hour looking for a problem before realizing I hadn't put it in park after coasting in last time.

Sounds like a good chance the mouse is your problem but don't overlook the simple stuff. Machine in park or foot on brake.
I wouldn't have told that one, HA!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If the damage is extensive, I would take it to a Honda dealer. Get an estimate for the repair, and call your insurance company. Sometimes you get lucky and they only chew one wire or two....I have had that happen to my old lawnmower and it was easy to fix. But, if I wouldn't have noticed the damage before using it the mower would probably have caught on fire due to large hot wires with the insulation removed.

If it looks like a mess, let your insurance company repair it with a new wiring harness and it's done right.

In the meantime, POISON, traps, etc.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If the damage is extensive, I would take it to a Honda dealer. Get an estimate for the repair, and call your insurance company. Sometimes you get lucky and they only chew one wire or two....I have had that happen to my old lawnmower and it was easy to fix. But, if I wouldn't have noticed the damage before using it the mower would probably have caught on fire due to large hot wires with the insulation removed.

If it looks like a mess, let your insurance company repair it with a new wiring harness and it's done right.

In the meantime, POISON, traps, etc.
I went down to the hardware store a few years ago to buy some mouse/rat traps, the guy ask's me if I wanted humane traps, I replied, hell no! I want it to hurt! True story.

C

ClaudClark

Jul 13, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got in my Honda yesterday and went to start it. It cranks but it but never actually starts. I saw the gas gauge only had a bar and thought I'd check the gas tank just to make sure and when I went over to the passenger side to take the lid off, I see a rat tail right by the cap. After that I'm going with the assumption that the rat chewed something up. I've looked under the hood and under the dump bed. I believe the rat was making a home in the compartments behind and under the front seat. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? Should I be looking for specific wires?

Yep, I have heard that there is something in the wire insulation that rats like to eat. I'm going to go put a rat treat in my machine. Although the package says it is illegal to poison rats in California....

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yep, I have heard that there is something in the wire insulation that rats like to eat. I'm going to go put a rat treat in my machine. Although the package says it is illegal to poison rats in California....
That’s cuz Nancy Palosi and Maxine Waters are afraid of there lives In there own state ;)
Get it...Rats! Haha

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I've posted this before:
Honda rodent tape, part #4019-2317
It's laced with capsaicin to deter chewing

This guy is cheaper:

Well, the cat was free but my wife has been feeding him canned tuna, so not so cheap after all.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I could not keep vacuum lines on my Yamaha Rhino. The rats kept knawing on the vacuum lines and the coil wires. I thought I could defeat them by putting ss braiding over them. They just moved on to other wires and hoses. I finally sold the Yamaha and bought the Pioneer. No problems since. Oh yea, I got two cats and some live traps. When I catch a rat in the wire live trap, I drop them in the bayou next to my house. After 5 min. or so I dump them out an rebait the trap. The best bait I have found is Lava bar soap. Rats love it, and you can wash your hands after your done.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've posted this before:
Honda rodent tape, part #4019-2317
It's laced with capsaicin to deter chewing
View attachment 214068

This guy is cheaper:
View attachment 214069
Well, the cat was free but my wife has been feeding him canned tuna, so not so cheap after all.
I have Black snakes, when it starts getting colder, I leave my door cracked and they winter in my shop. No rats/mice and i swear they grow a foot a year, two 5 footers. Named them Rat and Mice, can't tell them apart though?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since they were by the fuel tank, id bet its chewed either the fuel pump wiring or something around the throttle body.
Check with @Hondasxs if you find fuel pump wire chewed. A friend of mine had that problem with his 700 and Richard made up some of those fitting for the pump, which Honda does not carry. Beats buying the WHOLE harness.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I have Black snakes, when it starts getting colder, I leave my door cracked and they winter in my shop. No rats/mice and i swear they grow a foot a year, two 5 footers. Named them Rat and Mice, can't tell them apart though?
TWSS

Reactions: rtn001
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!