Not open for further replies.
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Ok..... The more I dig, the more questions I uncover. If all of this has been covered before elsewhere, I offer my sincere apologies.

First, I bought a Tab A 10.1" from Best Buy last night, but frankly, it's just a bit too big for the confines of the Talon cockpit in my opinion. So, I'm likely going to return it under their 15-day return policy.

There are several different iterations of the Galaxy Tab A 8", including the 2015, 2017 and 2018 versions. Of course, you'd expect that you'd want to have the latest and greatest, and the version you've linked above, JTW, is the 2018 version. HOWEVER... there are actually a couple of different editions within that 2018 genre: 1) the wifi only version, which you've shown above, and 2) the cellular version, be it AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or whomever. There IS a physical difference between the two, as the wifi-only version incorporates a physical home/navigation button in the chassis, whereas the cellular versions are edge-to-edge glass, just like most phones have been for a few years now.

Does it matter? Perhaps no. BUT, maybe it does. It seems to me that the buttonless *glass* version would be a better alternative, as it eliminates the concern of dust/dirt ingress through a physical button. You follow?

Regarding GPS capability: I got them to load up the cellular version with GPS Test app, which identifies the GPS satellites that the unit is currently tagging, and sure enough, it works even with the tablet in Airplane Mode (no connectivity). Therefore, it appears that the cellular tablet is as capable as the wifi-only version where GPS is concerned.

Now, there are a few caveats (and there's always caveats, right?):
  1. You can only buy the all-glass version coupled with a cell plan, which would be an extra $10/month added to my AT&T account.
  2. The outright purchase price is about $20 more expensive than the wifi-only version ($219 vs $199).
  3. You'd have to spend more money for a microSD card if you wanted to increase the memory (and all microSD cards are NOT created equal BTW, but that's another story...)
The workaround would be to buy the cellular version, pay for the first month ($10) and then cancel the line (my AT&T office assures me that no contract is required).

If you've stuck with me this long, congratulations! I'd welcome your thoughts.

Steve

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I snagged a lightly used Galaxy Tab Active2 cellular model off of eBay that I’m going to use.

It’s an 8” form factor, but is the ruggedized commercial/industrial model that has an IP-68 rating. I also ordered a pretty heavy duty case for it off of Amazon as well as a mount. When I receive everything and decide whether or not I like the hardware I plan to buy the LTM service and set it up myself.

Here’s everything I’m planning to use (tablet link is the Wifi model):

Samsung SM-T390NZKAXAR Galaxy Tab Active2 8" 16 GB Wi-Fi Ruggedized Tablet, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07856DNSX/?tag=sxsweb24-20

RAM Zinc Coated U-Bolt Mounting Base with 1 inch Ball https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TWRAO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

MoKo Case Fit Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 8.0, Heavy Duty Shockproof Full-Body Rugged 360 Degree Rotating with Shoulder Strap Stand Cover for Galaxy Tab Active 2 8" SM-T390/T395/T397 Tablet - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJCB2F7/?tag=sxsweb24-20

iBOLT TabDock Bizmount AMPs - Heavy Duty Drill Base Mount for All 7" - 10" Tablets (iPad, Samsung Tab) for Cars, Desks, Countertops: Great for Commercial Vehicles, Trucks, Schools, and Businesses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKPC4K8/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: stellarpod
J

JTW

Ok..... The more I dig, the more questions I uncover. If all of this has been covered before elsewhere, I offer my sincere apologies.

First, I bought a Tab A 10.1" from Best Buy last night, but frankly, it's just a bit too big for the confines of the Talon cockpit in my opinion. So, I'm likely going to return it under their 15-day return policy.

There are several different iterations of the Galaxy Tab A 8", including the 2015, 2017 and 2018 versions. Of course, you'd expect that you'd want to have the latest and greatest, and the version you've linked above, JTW, is the 2018 version. HOWEVER... there are actually a couple of different editions within that 2018 genre: 1) the wifi only version, which you've shown above, and 2) the cellular version, be it AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or whomever. There IS a physical difference between the two, as the wifi-only version incorporates a physical home/navigation button in the chassis, whereas the cellular versions are edge-to-edge glass, just like most phones have been for a few years now.

Does it matter? Perhaps no. BUT, maybe it does. It seems to me that the buttonless *glass* version would be a better alternative, as it eliminates the concern of dust/dirt ingress through a physical button. You follow?

Regarding GPS capability: I got them to load up the cellular version with GPS Test app, which identifies the GPS satellites that the unit is currently tagging, and sure enough, it works even with the tablet in Airplane Mode (no connectivity). Therefore, it appears that the cellular tablet is as capable as the wifi-only version where GPS is concerned.

Now, there are a few caveats (and there's always caveats, right?):
  1. You can only buy the all-glass version coupled with a cell plan, which would be an extra $10/month added to my AT&T account.
  2. The outright purchase price is about $20 more expensive than the wifi-only version ($219 vs $199).
  3. You'd have to spend more money for a microSD card if you wanted to increase the memory (and all microSD cards are NOT created equal BTW, but that's another story...)
The workaround would be to buy the cellular version, pay for the first month ($10) and then cancel the line (my AT&T office assures me that no contract is required).

If you've stuck with me this long, congratulations! I'd welcome your thoughts.

Steve
I just put clear vinyl over the home button hole. We don’t need cellular service for these. All I can tell ya is that’s what i and many others have bought and they’ve worked great.

Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just put clear vinyl over the home button hole. We don’t need cellular service for these. All I can tell ya is that’s what i and many others have bought and they’ve worked great.

Agreed. I have no desire for cell service for this tablet, but would consider signing up for it and then cancelling it right away in order to get the non-button version. But, as you've stated, having the button there is probably no biggie (you've probably noticed I'm prone to overthinking things... ;) )

Another question: Have you had any instances where you felt like the processor speed in the 8" was slow? Its clock speed is definitely below the 10.1" processor and all others in the echelons above the 8". I suspect that, since its really only performing GPS duties, clock speed is probably a non-issue too. Your experience?

Steve

Last edited:
J

JTW

Agreed. I have no desire for cell service for this tablet, but would consider signing up for it and then cancelling it right away in order to get the non-button version. But, as you've stated, having the button there is probably no biggie (you've probably noticed I'm prone to overthinking things... ;) )

Another question: Have you had any instances where you felt like the processor speed in the 8" was slow? Its clock speed is definitely below the 10.1" processor and all others in the echelons above the 8". I suspect that, since its really only performing GPS duties, clock speed is probably a non-issue too. Your experience?

Steve
I ordered both the 7” and 8” and the 8 blew the 7 out of the water.. I use mine for gps and Spotify. The only issue I’ve ran into is cold temps. Back in February in Mo on a ride my tablet came up with a too cold to operate notification and wouldn’t work. After it warmed up it was fine.. granted is was single digits. But otherwise, it’s been flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!