P1000 How deep can I go stock?

S

Spoof0ne

Aug 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 1000-5 deluxe that’s basically stock mechanically. How deep can I drive into water at a slow speed without worrying?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
H

HondaTech

Fuel and sub-trans are vented to rail under the seat, so I wouldn't go above the fuel tank opening.

They also had a service bulletin ('16 models only) to drill out the drain holes there to keep the water from filling the tank and sub-trans.

I believe the front diff vent is in the frame member directly under the fender, and the rear is in the frame member directly under rear floor about front bottom seat height.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think the best rule of thumb would be foot peddle hight to just under the seat. Wet ass and you have water in your gas at the very least. The only vulnerable water issue at that level would be the air intake duct coming from the air intake under the hood and the air filter housing behind the seat. If you have crappy quality control from the factory, like I did, you're vulnerable.

While snorkeling my 2018, I started dismantling the duct at both ends and there is a rubber hose (Fernco style) clamp in the middle, so that when I took off the top by the air filter, the duct just dropped to the frame. I put some pull to it and it popped off like nothing; I did see water marks in the form of drip lines inside the duct. This clamp is about 10" from the ground so that must be where Honda get's the 10" max depth.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a 2016 1000-5 deluxe that’s basically stock mechanically. How deep can I drive into water at a slow speed without worrying?
There’s a very good reason that the owners manual instructs you not to go into water deeper than 10” with your stock Pioneer. You must make modifications to it to safely drive through deeper water.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You need to extend the vent lines before getting in the rain or washing your pioneer. The gas vent is the most important. Honda made a bad mistake by putting the vent in the frame. Honda needs to fix it with a recall. The intake under the hood needs to be replaced if it's got the old intake. Honda should of replaced it for free but you have to pay for it and replace it too.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think you need to be careful with the answers you get to this question because most are not factoring in speed and low water levels causing water intrusion through intake due to the splash created! @CumminsPusher was the first to discover this first hand and through that discovery came extended vent lines and the @joeymt33 snorkel!

So to be safe snorkel and vent immediately. If you don’t want to snorkel add the intake mod which replaces the factory on 2016 models

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think you need to be careful with the answers you get to this question because most are not factoring in speed and low water levels causing water intrusion through intake due to the splash created! @CumminsPusher was the first to discover this first hand and through that discovery came extended vent lines and the @joeymt33 snorkel!

So to be safe snorkel and vent immediately. If you don’t want to snorkel add the intake mod which replaces the factory on 2016 models
Smart advice right there, certainly for anybody that’s asking how deep of water they can ride in. ;)

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
It's a really good idea to snorkel the machine and move the vent lines up to the roof level. You just never know how deep that water hole is, or if the sides are very steep under water and you slide down to several feet of depth. Happened to someone I know...

H

HondaTech

You need to extend the vent lines before getting in the rain or washing your pioneer. The gas vent is the most important. Honda made a bad mistake by putting the vent in the frame. Honda needs to fix it with a recall. The intake under the hood needs to be replaced if it's got the old intake. Honda should of replaced it for free but you have to pay for it and replace it too.

Where do you think the 700 is vented? they've vented to the frame on a lot of things for awhile.

I'm not sure why the 1000 is any different than the 700 when it comes to water contamination, but they did recognize the issue and told us to drill the seat rail vent holes out bigger to let it drain better.

I do agree the air intake should have at least been a free update, but I guess they figured anybody having issues with water ingress at that point of entry would've already snorkeled and it wouldn't matte to them. Guessing its not been big enough of an issue for them to notice or want to recognize.

Reactions: BWAF, sharp and JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
always snorkle, always vent, its to damn cheap not to. Has saved my ass more than once

Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Water levels are an issue if you have a heater also. The heater duct tubes fill with water long before you hit the seat bottom ! Just say for those with heaters.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!