Talon How does front drive shaft clutch work?

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone have any information on what is in the electric clutch for front drive. Dealer here does not know what is inside and how it works. I can't find anything in service or parts manual thank gives a clue as to how it engages front wheel drive. Not looking for guesses I can do that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Are you talking front diff or transfer case? Not sure what asking because that’s not really correct information on the system

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I haven't seen any info on this.
Honda shows it as non-serviceable.
12v engages it.

Not looking for guesses I can do that.
lol... Just a spring-loaded coupler.... but how is the question we don't know.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I read that but didn't respond.
Owners manual overrides dealers "opinion".

Now before with all Pioneer models, It was a manual cable operated unit.
Its always been the rule to STOP to engage.

However, this one is electronic.

Side note. Even with the manual Pioneer version. There has not really been any issues and many of us don't stop before engaging.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i thought it is just a electric shift motor in place of the manual one. but from what iv been looking at thats just to engage the front driveshaft to the diff. the way it looks maybe electro magnet selenoid style. but i dont see an actual locking mech left to right which would be basically an open front end with brakes actually making the 4wd work .

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
i thought it is just a electric shift motor in place of the manual one. but from what iv been looking at thats just to engage the front driveshaft to the diff. the way it looks maybe electro magnet selenoid style. but i dont see an actual locking mech left to right which would be basically an open front end with brakes actually making the 4wd work .

It's not a typical open diff though, look at items 11 & 12 (cam face & follower set), looks sorta like a "torq locker lite", not really a locker but not open either. o_O

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
#20 looks like it is a electro magnetic clutch.....yes, I know it's just a guess. Until someone tears it apart we may never know, maybe @HondaTech knows.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's not a typical open diff though, look at items 11 & 12 (cam face & follower set), looks sorta like a "torq locker lite", not really a locker but not open either. o_O
cam style is what i was looking at. what if the i4wd sensor didnt count spins but actually outward movement. aka cam is doubles sided. side spinning triggers outward movement? then brakes start doing their jobs.
it definitely not any kind of locker in there that is for sure.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
120 0 0 0 10000 10000 1050
Looks a whole lot like a LSD

Reactions: Mudwing
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Search "Cam & Pawl LSD" in google images, there's lots of pictures of them that all look like what's depicted in the parts diagram

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read that but didn't respond.
Owners manual overrides dealers "opinion".

Now before with all Pioneer models, It was a manual cable operated unit.
Its always been the rule to STOP to engage.

However, this one is electronic.

Side note. Even with the manual Pioneer version. There has not really been any issues and many of us don't stop before engaging.

We got the must stop out of the way at the dealer. The owner knew that was not true. Owner rode with me and heard the noise. Service mgr was wanting to say a little louder (not true at all). Dealer still has it and they seem like to me they want to tell me it is normal since it is difficult to figure out and just get rid of me. Waiting to hear from them today.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Search "Cam & Pawl LSD" in google images, there's lots of pictures of them that all look like what's depicted in the parts diagram
yeah it really does look like it. but it doesnt act like it. a cam and pawl lsd doesnt require brakes to actuate and lock. itll do it on its own most the time faster than a geared lsd.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
OP is not asking about the diff or i4wd.
Op is asking about the front driveline engagement mechanism located before the differential.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
OP is not asking about the diff or i4wd.
Op is asking about the front driveline engagement mechanism located before the differential.
i vote elctromagnet selenoid style. test with a piece of metal close by and flipping the switch back and forth if the magnet is strong enough should feel it outside the barrel

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!