How does Polaris own 41% of the market?

Alphonse

Alphonse

Sep 10, 2018
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw some data today on SxS market share by brand.

Polaris owns a whopping 41% market share of the SxS market. The nearest competitors are Can-AM at 13% and John Deere at 12%. Honda is tied at 4th place with Artic Cat at 9% each.

How does Polaris have that much of the market? They are clearly number one by a huge margin from a market perspective.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Polaris owns a whopping 41% market share of the SxS market. The nearest competitors are Can-AM at 13% and John Deere at 12%. Honda is tied at 4th place with Artic Cat at 9% each.

How does Polaris have that much of the market? They are clearly number one by a huge margin from a market perspective.
Last time I saw any data ( thought it was on this site)Ranger was really the model that had the market share. Granted Rzr has a good share but think of how many Rangers are in service for work, comericial, farm use etc.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is
Projected global side-by-side all-terrain vehicle market share in 2018, by vendor
Download 4

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Some people need the newest baddest ass machine at any cost. Polaris is ready to meet that need. People would rather shinny stickers and every bit of power possible even if it sacrifices longevity knowing it’s going to fail over a more subdued vehicle that will last. Showing a Camry or Accord off to your buddies isn’t near as cool as A Vette or Viper right?
I see it at the dealer when someone is looking at a Honda and the salesman so easily persuads him to the Polaris. The salesman does this because there’s more kickback for himself, the dealer, and the service, parts departments do better overall. Why would you sell a vehicle that brings less money in. People are greedy. Polaris uses this to their advantage, it’s the consumers fault for preferring crap.

J

JTW

I’ll also say this... I know we bash Polaris because of issues.. but if Honda has 41% of the market that would be 400 times the complaints and issues. It’s amplified by the squeaky wheels on the Internet. But it’s like you local high school basketball allstar talking s*** to MJ! Now with all that said... f*** Polaris s***!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ll also say this... I know we bash Polaris because of issues.. but if Honda has 41% of the market that would be 400 times the complaints and issues. It’s amplified by the squeaky wheels on the Internet. But it’s like you local high school basketball allstar talking s*** to MJ! Now with all that said... f*** Polaris s***!
Honda has had its problems with the 1000 but they are taking it in the shorts and doing what they can to rectify the situation. Seems like all brands with 1000 have a few issues. Honda is proactive because of the voices we raise, they are known for dependability so mouth matters. Polaris just puts out brighter stickers and another 10hp and continues to build the same issues regardless of the government mandates for safety even.
I guess you can’t fault them though because people are stupid enough to continue to buy. The service department at the dealership is free storage for some.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Shortscuts... lol.
Another polaris recall last week for the Ranger 500 and 570.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Marketing, getting the jump on the Sport Models by at least 5 years over anyone else. By putting out the latest go fast whiz bang each year and advertising the heck out of it with several group event all over the country. The run a fully corporate ran forums that had 80K members in 2012. They make and market is at a way of life, and are doing remarkably well of still selling to people despite all of thier products issues and recalls.

They were giving away $4000.00 vouchers to thier high end machine owners to trade up whenever they were hit with bad press in order to keep people from switching brands. They made thier killing early while the only game in town and are reinvesting in their customer base to stay on top.

Younger people who buying / financing Polaris are by and large the same who are paying $1000 every 18 months to get the latest smartphone. It all about appearances and social acceptance, they know nothing of Hondas legendary reputation or reliability, just that it's what grandpa has had putting around forever, and their is no other fancy options until the CanAm x3 came out.

Honda missed the boat by indecision in Japan to turn the American side loose to compete early on due to uncertainty of long term profitability. Honda had the Pilot over 30 years ago essentially what is now the Polaris RS1 but sales floundered and it wasn't profitable so it got killed.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Younger people who buying / financing Polaris are by and large the same who are paying $1000 every 18 months to get the latest smartphone. It all about appearances and social acceptance, they know nothing of Hondas legendary reputation or reliability, just that it's what grandpa has had putting around forever, and their is no other fancy options until the CanAm x3 came out.

You make it sound like I’m my mother in law driving her Buick. Maybe I should drop by the Polaris dealer and see what I am missing out on.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Polaris breaks down more frequently and some simply trade in to deal with the issue attributing to a 4 to 1 sales advantage for Polaris over Honda. Most Honda owners with the exception of @CumminsPusher :eek: still have trouble free riding on their original Honda purchased

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Marketing, getting the jump on the Sport Models by at least 5 years over anyone else. By putting out the latest go fast whiz bang each year and advertising the heck out of it with several group event all over the country. The run a fully corporate ran forums that had 80K members in 2012. They make and market is at a way of life, and are doing remarkably well of still selling to people despite all of thier products issues and recalls.

They were giving away $4000.00 vouchers to thier high end machine owners to trade up whenever they were hit with bad press in order to keep people from switching brands. They made thier killing early while the only game in town and are reinvesting in their customer base to stay on top.

Honda missed the boat by indecision in Japan to turn the American side loose to compete early on due to uncertainty of long term profitability. Honda had the Pilot over 30 years ago essentially what is now the Polaris RS1 but sales floundered and it wasn't profitable so it got killed.

If Honda made a phone that lasted more than 2-3 years I’d buy that sucker.

As it is I am replacing a phone about every 2-3 years because of battery and it starts to lock up, glitch, and reset.

I don’t wear a tinfoil hat very often but I am I totally am on board with the conspiracy theory that they are programmed to screw up after 2years.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Polaris breaks down more frequently and some simply trade in to deal with the issue attributing to a 4 to 1 sales advantage for Polaris over Honda. Most Honda owners with the exception of @CumminsPusher :eek: still have trouble free riding on their original Honda purchased
I’ve been trying to clean up any issues for you all lol. Back to solid and happy as heck. Weve been through a lot but expect many trouble free miles now. (Side note we have had really bad times with other brands, other then Yami) won’t buy anything other then those two brands.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You make it sound like I’m my mother in law driving her Buick. Maybe I should drop by the Polaris dealer and see what I am missing out on.
Hey, if Honda would give the SXS Sport segment the same attention / performance / relative price as they do this machine:Screenshot 20180912 105524 Chrome

People would buy 5x as many of those SXS as they sell of the above model. Until then, if the Buick fits, drive it. :(

Alphonse

Alphonse

Sep 10, 2018
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From the Motley Fool last month:
"Even with a slowing ATV market and vehicle recalls due to shoddy manufacturing practices almost too numerous to mention, Polaris still owns the off-road vehicle market, with its Ranger, RZR, Sportsman, and General vehicles all holding a No. 1 market share position in their respective categories.

Sales were up 17% in the second quarter to $991 million, though most of that was driven by parts, garments, and accessories. Still, retail sales were up in the mid-single digit percent range as its side-by-sides and ATVs even more market share, Polaris expects the momentum it built up exiting the quarter to continue into the third, though it will face a difficult year-over-year comparison. Last year retail sales soared by mid-teen percentages."

After a brief look into this topic, it appears that they are very effective product developers and marketeers. Although their quality is suffering, from a business perspective they make up for it with push to market, promotion, and bling. Isn't their 168 hp "Fear the Beast" RZR Turbo an example of that? The presence of that model in their lineup likely has a big effect on the overall brand and pushes sales of the other models. I am betting it sure helps the showroom salesperson push the excitement over to the rest of the lineup.

To own 41% of this market is a big deal and they appear to have a strategy that they are systematically executing to keep and/or grow it. In one of their annual reports I looked at, they talk to their strategy. Interestingly, they also reported a big program of attacking costs. Reduce manufacturing and other costs and you have the funding to allow for the big rebates and promotions.

For fun I am going to visit a dealer and take a look.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!