P1000 How does the 1000-5 self leveling rear suspension work?

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone explain how the self leveling system works? I peeked under there and didn't see what I'd expect - sensors and actuators of some sort. Thanks.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone explain how the self leveling system works? I peeked under there and didn't see what I'd expect - sensors and actuators of some sort. Thanks.
Basically the more weight you put on the rear, it increases the pressure which goes to a reservoir to help increase the spring rate as the machine moves. That’s a rough answer but should be how it works.

Last edited:
JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. Hoping for a little more detail maybe HondaTech will be along in a bit.

I don't see how you can increase spring rate on the fly- the springs are fixed coils of metal that don't change.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. Hoping for a little more detail maybe HondaTech will be along in a bit.

I don't see how you can increase spring rate on the fly- the springs are fixed coils of metal that don't change.
When I said help spring rate I meant it takes some of the load to help the spring. Sorry for the confusion. @HondaTech

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's pretty slick. So it uses the energy of bouncing along to pump the shock up a bit. When load is released the relief lets the extra pressure off.

So when loaded, this pumping action causes the shock to carry some of the load normally carried by the spring.

Thanks for the explanations. I learned something today!

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are all of the Fox and Elka offerings for the P-1000-5 gas shocks? If so that would explain why they don't support this self leveling feature because it has to be an oil shock to work.

Or maybe there's some patent protection.

I want to upgrade my shocks someday, but also want to keep this feature because I do have highly variable loads in the back ranging from empty to a couple adults and gear to a dead elk and gear.

Last edited:
H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great explanation! Love learning new stuff. I always wondered how they made this kind of statement. Tech is amazing!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not technical, but a decent test of the self leveling with a tank of water and measurements

Reactions: Lady01
sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
Do the Fox QS3's not have the self leveling feature?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!