P500 How full is full, can i over fill the fuel

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
So finally got some alone time with my machine. Put about 500km up at my cottage. First off, I love this great machine.
D82ed371788ced57f4bce4d323c4a9e3
Ef5746a94af71448de04b1ee3a0f2fbd

Now the gas gauge needs black tape over it, its full or 2 bars, lol. I have seen others comment on the issue.
What range are you getting out of a full tank?
Can i overfill the tank.
When i hit the bottom of the neck i found i could easily add 3-4 litres of fuel which would make a huge difference in distance.
I could probably get another couple litres in but didn’t have the need.

I always carry extra fuel, i do plan on riding till i run out just to see the distance from low fuel flashing.
Is low fuel to advise of running out, or is it a saftey feature for the fuel pump.
4d5e54be7318594dc305a1bfbc4d5635

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I usually pack an extra 4 litres in a small flat fuel container. To increase fuel capacity I pulled the anti spill collar out of the tank mouth. It’s the white nylon collar that extends down into the tank after you take the fuel cap off. With a sharp knife, with blade facing away from black tank I cut the white nylon collar 1/2 down its length into the tank. Next with small vice grips pulled the white collar out, voila extra tank capacity. Thinking an extra litre or so, which is significant with these fuel sippers.

To date no problems (bought in 2014), never ran mine out of fuel nor paid attention to Max kms, guessing 130 kms per tank? My gauge seem to show full most the time then drops quick.
Cheers,
j

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The low fuel, or "reserve" is just to advise. It does nothing like older atv's.

Fill that sucker up. Removing the anti spill collar is great advice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
I usually pack an extra 4 litres in a small flat fuel container. To increase fuel capacity I pulled the anti spill collar out of the tank mouth. It’s the white nylon collar that extends down into the tank after you take the fuel cap off. With a sharp knife, with blade facing away from black tank I cut the white nylon collar 1/2 down its length into the tank. Next with small vice grips pulled the white collar out, voila extra tank capacity. Thinking an extra litre or so, which is significant with these fuel sippers.

To date no problems (bought in 2014), never ran mine out of fuel nor paid attention to Max kms, guessing 130 kms per tank? My gauge seem to show full most the time then drops quick.
Cheers,
j

I didn’t remove it but parked on a hill, tank side high.
I will look at removal, thanks.
I havent ran out of fuel in years and i dont intend to start now. Lol

Reactions: rtn001 and Chooglin
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I didn’t remove it but parked on a hill, tank side high.
I will look at removal, thanks.
I havent ran out of fuel in years and i dont intend to start now. Lol

Oh I see relating to overfilling. Think worst case would be to fill when cool then if fuel where to expand on a hot day might leak out the vent tube.

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
Oh I see relating to overfilling. Think worst case would be to fill when cool then if fuel where to expand on a hot day might leak out the vent tube.

I only fill it like this prior to a ride, and know that i will be burning it off,

Reactions: rtn001 and Chooglin
Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Most of the time when i fill up mine i rock the bike side to side a few times to remove air bubbles and i can add more fuel till you know you can't fill any more "go slowly"...I use to do this lot with my 420 rancher.....RIP.lol
I'm getting about 10L per 100 Km not bad at 15.4 Liter tank that's about 150 KM range on a tank plus the 10L i bring along with me,so i should be good for at least 270 km to 300 km day...
Biggest run for me is 250 km run and i still see 3 bars when i arrive home.
That with the extra 10L tank that i bring along of coarse
Also i seen my empty fuel light flash about 3 or 4 times so far and trip Odo reads 130 Km.
They say or i read that you have about 4.2 liters reserve when it starts flashing....
Safe Trail Riding...

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
Thanks for the replies, they confirm what i was thinking and doing. Also a mod to look at.
A quick 3/16 hole drilled in the splash guard should allow me to leave it in place yet allow air to escape while cramming in the fuel.

Reactions: rtn001
B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I got about 30 mpg with desert driving...a combination of good dirt roads as well as some rough stuff with hills. I figure about 100 miler per tank for safety, but always carry spare fuel.

So finally got some alone time with my machine. Put about 500km up at my cottage. First off, I love this great machine.
View attachment 147493
View attachment 147494

Now the gas gauge needs black tape over it, its full or 2 bars, lol. I have seen others comment on the issue.
What range are you getting out of a full tank?
Can i overfill the tank.

When i hit the bottom of the neck i found i could easily add 3-4 litres of fuel which would make a huge difference in distance.
I could probably get another couple litres in but didn’t have the need.

I always carry extra fuel, i do plan on riding till i run out just to see the distance from low fuel flashing.
Is low fuel to advise of running out, or is it a saftey feature for the fuel pump.
View attachment 147495

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!