Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
2FB3BC1C 0363 4214 9FE2 B02EB1185D26

Planning to take it in this weekend for this and to see if they can figure out the chatter/ rattle that I am getting under load. Curious how widespread this is and how many people have it this fixed.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
View attachment 171203

Planning to take it in this weekend for this and to see if they can figure out the chatter/ rattle that I am getting under load. Curious how widespread this is and how many people have it this fixed.

I don't think I would call that a leak, more of a seep. Would like to know what Honda calls it.

Is you noise the same in two versus four wheel?

My front drive leaked all the oil out and was making a lot of noise in four wheel drive but I wouldn't call it a chatter more of loud whine. It was so loud that Polaris owner that I let drive did not buy a Honda because of the noise. That was right before I discovered the leak that explained the excessive noise.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't think I would call that a leak, more of a seep. Would like to know what Honda calls it.

Is you noise the same in two versus four wheel?

My front drive leaked all the oil out and was making a lot of noise in four wheel drive but I wouldn't call it a chatter more of loud whine. It was so loud that Polaris owner that I let drive did not buy a Honda because of the noise. That was right before I discovered the leak that explained the excessive noise.
same in 2wd and 4wd. Yea seep would be a better description, but its been growing and only 175 miles

here is the noise, bugging the crap out of me

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I do as well. It is very minor, less than yours, but I should get it fixed while still under warranty.

H

HondaTech

After having multiple shafts off Pioneers and 1 Talon I dont believe you have a leak.

The amount of grease in the end of those splines is probably the culprit. I'd say the grease is getting hot and seeping out, that in turn causes dust to attach to the area and look like a leak.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After having multiple shafts off Pioneers and 1 Talon I dont believe you have a leak.

The amount of grease in the end of those splines is probably the culprit. I'd say the grease is getting hot and seeping out, that in turn causes dust to attach to the area and look like a leak.
thanks, good info. Could save me a un-needed trip to the dealer

Reactions: 70Bones
D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mine has the front differential leaking. Been in the shop for over two weeks.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
same in 2wd and 4wd. Yea seep would be a better description, but its been growing and only 175 miles

here is the noise, bugging the crap out of me
The rattle that I hear in your vid sounds metallic, heat shield related. I have squeaking and rattling on my 700 caused by the heat shielding around the exhaust that I am this week weather permitting!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My left front dif seal just started leaking at 7,200 miles. My dealer ordered the seal and I got an appointment in a morning. I will take it in and get it back after lunch. I check the dif oil level after each 100 miles and add an ounce if necessary.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Mine has the same thing around the rear output shaft. It does appear to be grease and not oil from the sub transmission. I’m also hearing some drive line noises but not the high pitched whine/ rattle in the clip. I will continue to check fluids regularly and learn my machine. I’m assuming there will be unique Talon noises like the clicking and other drivetrain noises my buddies RZR’s make that they consider normal.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The picture of the dirt around the drive shaft is normal. If it leaks you will have a wet spot at the bottom like my front dif. I add about 2 ounces every 200 miles but I will get it fixed this month. It started leaking at 7,200 miles, I'm at 7,600 now.

20191222 164315 resized

D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I had the same leak as the op.it was not just an over application of assembly grease, it ran down the case and left a mess in the skid plate. The boot on the drive shaft was destroyed on the sub transmission end(seal end) but fully intact on the drive shaft. I found this on my 100 mile service after putting around on gravel roads doing the break in and getting used to a new machine. I was told Honda will not warranty boots, so I paid another shop to repair it.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Sounds like honda got a bad batch of seals. I was reading another forum where quite a few guys had diff leaks. Specifically front left and a few right rear. My right rear is leaking at about 20 hours. There was something leaking from the front diff area also, but it didn't smell like gear oil to me, I thought it might be coolant.

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
my rear output shaft seal got replaced at 500 miles just noticed at 2500 miles both front diff seals are leaking going in after moab trip

E

ec2021talon

Dec 28, 2021
california
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
These are pictures of mine at 800 and 1250 miles,(450 miles since dealer cleaned it). I took it to the dealer at 800 miles for warranty repair. They cleaned it off, drove it a few miles then let it sit overnight. Since it did not leak onto the floor overnight they refused to replace it. They claimed the buildup was simply dust and dirt and not oil. Now I have to wait for a month before the same dealer will even look at it again.

I also have the same situation with my driver side front diff seal. I found lots of info on this forum about this problem and before taking it in to the dealer I checked the vent line and confirmed it was not plugged. First time I took to the dealer they did the same clean, drive, sit overnight routine and ended up doing nothing, claimed it was not leaking. Since then it has been back twice, both times they replaced the seal with the new improved version. Last seal was replaced at 800 miles and I noticed it leaking again at 1100 miles.
The dealer is now telling me that Honda claims this is normal weeping and will no longer replace the seal under warranty. The dealer is also telling me that Honda is refusing to pay them for the second time they replaced the seal.

Seal leakage 800 miles Seal leakage 1250 miles

• Angry
Reactions: CID
H

HondaTech

These are pictures of mine at 800 and 1250 miles,(450 miles since dealer cleaned it). I took it to the dealer at 800 miles for warranty repair. They cleaned it off, drove it a few miles then let it sit overnight. Since it did not leak onto the floor overnight they refused to replace it. They claimed the buildup was simply dust and dirt and not oil. Now I have to wait for a month before the same dealer will even look at it again.

I also have the same situation with my driver side front diff seal. I found lots of info on this forum about this problem and before taking it in to the dealer I checked the vent line and confirmed it was not plugged. First time I took to the dealer they did the same clean, drive, sit overnight routine and ended up doing nothing, claimed it was not leaking. Since then it has been back twice, both times they replaced the seal with the new improved version. Last seal was replaced at 800 miles and I noticed it leaking again at 1100 miles.
The dealer is now telling me that Honda claims this is normal weeping and will no longer replace the seal under warranty. The dealer is also telling me that Honda is refusing to pay them for the second time they replaced the seal.

View attachment 333671 View attachment 333672
Thats pretty much what we're being told, if its not pooling oil, than its not "leaking".

Id love to replace the diff seals, since Honda paid 3 hours for doing just one (flat rate called for pulling the differential).

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 333671 View attachment 333672
Haronda?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!