P700 How much slop in rear final drive?

R

Rat_Patrol

Feb 28, 2022
MN
I would figure it would be tight (few thou play), but I have quite a bit of slop between the ring and pinion. It is loud enough that you plainly hear gear slap from the rear end from turning on loose rocks or letting off the throttle for negative torque. Took the oil plug out, oil looked fine. It was dark outside, so I'll have to get a better look at the ring gear, but it looked new still. Oh, this is a '21 with only a few hundred miles on it, all babied giving kids rides around the property at 10-15 mph.

Dealer said they can take a look. If they deem there is an issue, they will tear it down for warranty and order parts, but my machine could be down for a few months, depending on parts availability. I have trips planned, so I'll either run it as is (have been) or just fix it myself.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Bevel cut gears. More play then typical automotive diff and very noisy. Probably nothing wrong. The rear on these sounds like a box of rocks.

R

Rat_Patrol

Feb 28, 2022
MN
Thanks for the replies, since the ring gear looked OK it is probably normal. Yeah, a quieter rear would sure be nice!

Reactions: Smitty335
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes, it's normal. The gears Honda uses for the diffs, front & rear are straight cut, hobbed green then hardened. There is no finish machining on the gear teeth. This is a cheap way of manufacturing gears, while very strong they require a lot more clearance (backlash) than a ground set of gears. The exception is the rear gears on the Talon, they are spiral bevels that are ground after heat treat and can run much tighter clearances.

FWIW... when I was with GM in the mid 90's we customers complain of a clunk from reverse to drive on the Silverado, we sat down and added up all the clearances from the engine crankshaft to the wheel.... it was over an inch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!