How often do you Ride? Winter Trail Trips...

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Obviously being winter, many folks seem to put away their toys until spring. Do you guys find the time to intermittently ride either the trails at or near home during the freezes of old man winter? It was like summer here today and having about 2 miles of home trail gives me an advantage of being able to play every day. Some days are obviously better than others, so when I get home from dealing with all the pink, blue and green hair ninnies and nitwits of Asheville, it gives me great joy to fly down the trail. Or, like today, up a mud slinging rutted bouncing blast of fun! I like and appreciate my trails but as we get deeper into winter and I'm feeling cabin fever start to take it's toll, I'm starting to contemplate farther trails afield. Last winter I did Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I'm vaguely contemplating Florida but that's mostly flat and where I grew up (boring). I'm not sure if I can hold out until the Takeover in May. I'm thinking about a wee road trip somewheres fun and exhilarating. HHHMMMMMMMM...................

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I dont ride sxs during deer season. We use 4 wheelers for hunting. I dont want to cut our wide trails for everyone to use where I hunt. I'm ready to start riding now. Was gonna ride tomorrow since its gonna be 60 but my fatass needs some physical activity. We going hiking in Big South Fork instead.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a 3 mile loop I try to ride it a couple of times every few days.

Here lately I’ve been riding a good bit on weekends got out of hunting for fun, just lost interest. I have a source for 3-4 deer a year and all I do is pay processor and pick it up.

Reactions: 100Acre and sharp
D

Deleted member 3748

I get out once a week to check on neighbors properties while they are in warmer climates for the winter. Now that the lake is frozen over, I can get more distance than on the snowy trails.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The southwest in winter IMHO, is the best time to go. The weather is so much cooler and not like the typical oven, like much of the rest of the year. It can get down to some really cold temperatures as well, but nothing you cannot guard against. The benefits are the lack of crowds, so no competition for trails or places to camp. I also really like the contrasting colors of the snow against the typical desert colors. I've been a lot of places but there are still many I have not seen or driven across in my truck or SXS. Especially in Utah. That place is really a Mecca for off road sports and as much as I love the camaraderie of riding with groups of friends, going in winter enables the spectator to really get a feel for the vast open expanses and geological formations. It is a truly spectacular place to explore. @SouthParkColorado and I only rode a few trails around Moab but there was so much more to see. The ones we did ride were so Forking amazing that few words could truly describe the visual spender and grandeur of the deserts of Utah. Tempted to take a little ride...
IMG 3872
IMG 3873
IMG 3876
IMG 3877
IMG 3884
IMG 3885
IMG 3886
Fullsizeoutput daa
IMG 0033
IMG 0034
IMG 0035

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Obviously being winter, many folks seem to put away their toys until spring. Do you guys find the time to intermittently ride either the trails at or near home during the freezes of old man winter? It was like summer here today and having about 2 miles of home trail gives me an advantage of being able to play every day. Some days are obviously better than others, so when I get home from dealing with all the pink, blue and green hair ninnies and nitwits of Asheville, it gives me great joy to fly down the trail. Or, like today, up a mud slinging rutted bouncing blast of fun! I like and appreciate my trails but as we get deeper into winter and I'm feeling cabin fever start to take it's toll, I'm starting to contemplate farther trails afield. Last winter I did Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I'm vaguely contemplating Florida but that's mostly flat and where I grew up (boring). I'm not sure if I can hold out until the Takeover in May. I'm thinking about a wee road trip somewheres fun and exhilarating. HHHMMMMMMMM...................
I ride year round somewhere.....

SouthParkColorado

SouthParkColorado

Feb 4, 2018
Hartsel, CO & Aurora, CO
www.flickr.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
DBP 2357
DBP 2361
DBP 2384
DBP 2515
DBP 2517
DBP 2528
DBP 2587
DBP 2627

Quoted: "The southwest in winter IMHO, is the best time to go. The weather is so much cooler and not like the typical oven, like much of the rest of the year. It can get down to some really cold temperatures as well, but nothing you cannot guard against. The benefits are the lack of crowds, so no competition for trails or places to camp. I also really like the contrasting colors of the snow against the typical desert colors. I've been a lot of places but there are still many I have not seen or driven across in my truck or SXS. Especially in Utah. That place is really a Mecca for off road sports and as much as I love the camaraderie of riding with groups of friends, going in winter enables the spectator to really get a feel for the vast open expanses and geological formations. It is a truly spectacular place to explore. @SouthParkColorado and I only rode a few trails around Moab but there was so much more to see. The ones we did ride were so Forking amazing that few words could truly describe the visual splendor and grandeur of the deserts of Utah. Tempted to take a little ride..."

Damnit, Ya know, turns out, you had me back at the word "tempted"....

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 106094 View attachment 106095 View attachment 106096 View attachment 106097 View attachment 106098 View attachment 106099 View attachment 106100 View attachment 106101

Quoted: "The southwest in winter IMHO, is the best time to go. The weather is so much cooler and not like the typical oven, like much of the rest of the year. It can get down to some really cold temperatures as well, but nothing you cannot guard against. The benefits are the lack of crowds, so no competition for trails or places to camp. I also really like the contrasting colors of the snow against the typical desert colors. I've been a lot of places but there are still many I have not seen or driven across in my truck or SXS. Especially in Utah. That place is really a Mecca for off road sports and as much as I love the camaraderie of riding with groups of friends, going in winter enables the spectator to really get a feel for the vast open expanses and geological formations. It is a truly spectacular place to explore. @SouthParkColorado and I only rode a few trails around Moab but there was so much more to see. The ones we did ride were so Forking amazing that few words could truly describe the visual splendor and grandeur of the deserts of Utah. Tempted to take a little ride..."

Damnit, Ya know, turns out, you had me back at the word "tempted"....
Damn, looks like you’re using a red filter on those pics.....:D

Reactions: SouthParkColorado
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Southern Utah is a magical place.

Sadly, i have yet to take a SxS/ATV there (done rental jeeps).

Snow on red rocks is awesome...
IMG 4069

@SouthParkColorado , do you have any close ups of your bed?

SouthParkColorado

SouthParkColorado

Feb 4, 2018
Hartsel, CO & Aurora, CO
www.flickr.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Southern Utah is a magical place.

Sadly, i have yet to take a SxS/ATV there (done rental jeeps).

Snow on red rocks is awesome...
View attachment 106174

@SouthParkColorado , do you have any close ups of your bed?

Here's a few that I zoomed into and cropped...
Used scraps: OSB, 2 by 2's, screws, glue, 2 by 4's on the underside which mesh with the factory rack, scrap aluminum on both sides to latch it to the factory rack, and a couple coats of fine deck stain. Removable in about one minute with an impact wrench.
DBP 1395
DBP 1409
DBP 1410

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: SouthParkColorado
seig

seig

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The southwest in winter IMHO, is the best time to go. The weather is so much cooler and not like the typical oven, like much of the rest of the year. It can get down to some really cold temperatures as well, but nothing you cannot guard against. The benefits are the lack of crowds, so no competition for trails or places to camp. I also really like the contrasting colors of the snow against the typical desert colors. I've been a lot of places but there are still many I have not seen or driven across in my truck or SXS. Especially in Utah. That place is really a Mecca for off road sports and as much as I love the camaraderie of riding with groups of friends, going in winter enables the spectator to really get a feel for the vast open expanses and geological formations. It is a truly spectacular place to explore. @SouthParkColorado and I only rode a few trails around Moab but there was so much more to see. The ones we did ride were so Forking amazing that few words could truly describe the visual spender and grandeur of the deserts of Utah. Tempted to take a little ride...
View attachment 106005 View attachment 106006 View attachment 106009 View attachment 106010 View attachment 106011 View attachment 106012 View attachment 106013 View attachment 106016 View attachment 106018 View attachment 106019 View attachment 106020
God those are awesome pics, can't wait to ride out there some day. If it wasn't so damned far from here i'd meet you there! lol So I'm stuck riding in this...wind chill was -35*F a couple days ago at 3:30pm (warmest part of the day this time of year). Try to do a couple laps around the fields once or twice a week, 2-3 miles a lap depending on which route i take lol.
Snowday

shoplizard

shoplizard

Nov 27, 2016
Great Falls, MT 59405
Ownership

1. 500
I use my P500 year round to run errands, groceries, hardware store etc.. In Montana we can drive our SxS's on the streets, so I use it instead of starting and driving my truck to do these trips. As long as the temps are at least above 0 degrees F I can bundle up and with my windshield to break the breeze and the heat coming from between the seats, (a common P500 issue) I am ready to go.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!