Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I4wdclutch

This community has been great about sharing DIY projects.
Many DIY projects have progressed into products for several companies including our own store.
Today I am posting the DIY I4wd delete info to return the favor.

Here is how to I-4wd Delete/Bypass your i-4wd system on your Honda Talon.

WHY?

The Talon 4x4 system electronically controlled. If it defaults into safe mode the 4x4 system no longer works and the user is left with 2x4.
This bypass will allow you to keep 4x4 outside the i4wd system.

HOW?
By electronically engaging the 4x4 clutch independent of the factory system.
Do do this, you just need to find the Green connector behind the plastic guard just in front of the differential. Here you will supply 12v to the red and ground to the green wires both independent of the factory system. Energizing the line engages the 4x4 clutch and you now have 4x4 with a limited front differential.

NOT A 100% I4WD DELETE!
This is not a complete I4WD delete solution. It only allows you to engage 4x4 without turning ON the I4wd system. While might could completely remove the i4wd system, there may be other systems that depend on this to function.

i4wd SIDE EFFECTS.
After doing this mod. Your I4wd will no longer be able to control the 4x4 engagement. i4wd will still work but this "override" must be in the ON position beforehand.

DIY HARNESS KIT!

We have built a simple DIY I4WD bypass kit to help you bypass your factory system. It includes a 5ft wire and a dummy plug. The user end will just be bare wires. Adding in an ON/OFF switch will work as a controller.

I4wdclutch

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will I4WD work with this?
YES. But this should be turned on before turning on i4wd.

Can i have both i4wd and override?
YES. Using a DPDT you can wire the switch to choose I4WD Or OVERRIDE mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaiah
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Just wondering what the status is for the plug n play setup to make this work with still having the usability of i4wd along with the override

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks for the info I would like to spend money here in store if possible but if I have to I will go with hess

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the info I would like to spend money here in store if possible but if I have to I will go with hess
I understand 100%. My bypass switch came from this site and works flawlessly. 😎 I didn't need I4wd at all for the type of racing I do so completely bypassing the system works for me.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The HESS (and all other) kits works the same as our DIY kit.
Both allow i-4wd to function as designed if the "override" is ON.
Meaning, you must flip the "override" on then you can choose to engage i-4wd or not.
With both kits, if the i4wd throws an error code, the 4x4 will stay engaged, unlike the factory system.

Our "future" kit, was designed to combine these functions into 1 unit. But until the market gets under control we are unable to take on any new items. I currently have no ETA.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The HESS (and all other) kits works the same as our DIY kit.
Both allow i-4wd to function as designed if the "override" is ON.
Meaning, you must flip the "override" on then you can choose to engage i-4wd or not.
With both kits, if the i4wd throws an error code, the 4x4 will stay engaged, unlike the factory system.

Our "future" kit, was designed to combine these functions into 1 unit. But until the market gets under control we are unable to take on any new items. I currently have no ETA.
Longshoreman's strike that no one knows about?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the Talon the only way to get 4x4 is to have it in i4wd, if the Talon FAULTS, it goes into 2wd and you have no other options. The Override allows the user to bypass this function and keep it in 4wd without the i4wd being on. OR if wired correctly, the 4wd will stay engaged even if the i4wd faults.

The Pioneer. It is manually cable-operated. So if the i4wd FAULTS, you are still in 4wd. So the override is not needed.
While I guess you could make a wire kit to NOT turn on i4wd for the LE.. Its kinda useless. But I guess one could.

greghonda350

greghonda350

Mar 5, 2021
ORLANDO FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the Talon the only way to get 4x4 is to have it in i4wd, if the Talon FAULTS, it goes into 2wd and you have no other options. The Override allows the user to bypass this function and keep it in 4wd without the i4wd being on. OR if wired correctly, the 4wd will stay engaged even if the i4wd faults.

The Pioneer. It is manually cable-operated. So if the i4wd FAULTS, you are still in 4wd. So the override is not needed.
While I guess you could make a wire kit to NOT turn on i4wd for the LE.. Its kinda useless. But I guess one could.
Ok I understand.. so I Guess the reason why I originally asked was because I was told by the dealership the I-4wd is very annoying for going in mud from what hes been told by customers so I thought this kit was to avoid the i4wd will and use manual for will drive only on the LE model...

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I understand.. so I Guess the reason why I originally asked was because I was told by the dealership the I-4wd is very annoying for going in mud from what hes been told by customers so I thought this kit was to avoid the i4wd will and use manual for will drive only on the LE model...
Yes, But for the Talon models only.

Pioneer does not have the issues Talons have with i4wd.

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are talon owners having i4wd issues with their rigs?
Not me. Never had an issue on my 2019 R in 3500 miles so far and I use it a lot. Mine has never failed me or left me stranded and now works flawlessly in sand, snow and rock crawling (3 areas that some complain about). I avoid mud so I can't tell you how it works in mud.

Mine was "OK" at first but I learned a trick from Jeff Proctor. Anyone having traction, pedal pulsating or what I call "hunting" (where the i4WD keeps switching from left to right) should try thoroughly bleeding the entire brake system (front and rear). If there is any air in the system, it makes the i4WD motor work more to apply the brakes to the slipping tire and slows the system down. Bleeding air out usually improves the i4WD reaction time and it make it work much better. Once I bled my brakes, I noticed better traction and the "hunting" I occasionally experienced pulling a hill in sand went away.

That is my experience, YMMV!!!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If I install torque locker and this override, what does the i4wd switch do at this point?
You don't "need" the bypass if you have the TL, It will provide some redundancy in case the i4WD goes out but it won't do anything different than the i4WD switch. As a matter of fact, you lose a couple features with the bypass...

The bypass only engages the front diff clutch

i4WD engages the front clutch, enables the traction control (but really only anti-lock brakes) and enables the power steering boost.

With the TL, the i4WD traction control is still active but it no longer does anything because the front tires will no longer spin at different speeds.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!