ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well after some intermittent starter issues, she finally bit the dust.

This is a hard one boys, so stay with me!

Step one- get new starter

Remove old starter. It is accessed through the drivers side of the machine. It might be a bit easier if you remove the drivers side rear wheel, but it’s not needed.

NOTE: you will need to reuse the nut that holds the starter wire to the starter terminal. Do not remove the new nut that comes on the new starter - the wire goes over it.

Two bolts hold the starter in. You need a 12mm socket or wrench. Remove the bolts. One of them is also holding a ground wire. Then use a 10mm socket to remove the nut holding the hot wire to the terminal on the starter.

Move the wires out of the way and start yanking on the starter. It won’t be eager to come out. You can stick a screwdriver under the ear (where the bolt goes through) and pry while wiggling it. Eventually the old starter will come out.

Pic of where the starter was:

C4ce95f2238bcf8fae29a76d2daacaff

Now take your new starter and put some grease on the Oring.
990d9417080acbb5f7ce8f25b2a85a92

Stuff it in the hole!

Aa2914744f79acd747ceb2d8a4d18ce5

Replace the bolts, making sure to run the passenger side bolt through the ground wire...

Attach the starter wire to the terminal.

Efd1e41ae743a2401bda637d91d5d89a

Start the machine and ride. It probably took me longer to type this post than to make the repair. Didn’t even take long enough to finish a beer. :(

Also, this job could be done on the trail if needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

Remove old starter. It is accessed through the drivers side of the machine. It might be a bit easier if you remove the drivers side rear wheel, but it’s not needed.

NOTE: you will need to reuse the nut that holds the starter wire to the starter terminal. Do not remove the new nut that comes on the new starter - the wire goes over it.

Two bolts hold the starter in. You need a 12mm socket or wrench. Remove the bolts. One of them is also holding a ground wire. Then use a 10mm socket to remove the nut holding the hot wire to the terminal on the starter.

Move the wires out of the way and start yanking on the starter. It won’t be eager to come out. You can stick a screwdriver under the ear (where the bolt goes through) and pry while wiggling it. Eventually the old starter will come out.

View attachment 122436

View attachment 122437

Stuff it in the hole!

View attachment 122438

Replace the bolts, making sure to run the passenger side bolt through the ground wire...

View attachment 122439

Start the machine and ride. It probably took me longer to type this post than to make the repair. Didn’t even take long enough to finish a beer. :(

My starter sounds like a dentist drill is that what yours was doing?

H

HondaTech

Not trying to say you did it wrong, as that seems to be the simplest way.

But for me, I remove the 8 bolts holding the rear rack on, remove 1 mud clip holding the air snorkel tot rear fender, unplug the taillight harness and remove the rack and fender in 1 piece.

Now you have all the room in the world to get that bad boy out.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Not trying to say you did it wrong, as that seems to be the simplest way.

But for me, I remove the 8 bolts holding the rear rack on, remove 1 mud clip holding the air snorkel tot rear fender, unplug the taillight harness and remove the rack and fender in 1 piece.

Now you have all the room in the world to get that bad boy out.

Yeah, taking the rear rack and fenders off is easy in its stock form but depending on what's been added to the rear? It's a full days job taking mine off and probably 2 days putting it back together. I'd opt for the wheel well access in my situation.

J

Judge

Apr 15, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Followed your instructions and put in my new starter today. One tip.After you get the hot wire off (10mm) and the two bolts (10mm) i could not get the old starter out. No place to pry or grasp.I tied a piece around one of the "ears"that the bolts go through and pulled the rope out the back of the sxs. one tug and it popped right out

B

BigRedMac

Aug 15, 2020
Vermilion, OH
Ownership

1. 500
Same thing happened to me....started just stopped about 2-3 weeks ago. But now after replacing it, it starts & runs, but the paddle shifters don't work? Any ideas?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
This may help also.

Attachments

• P5 Starter Removal Install.pdf
    476.4 KB · Views: 377
Y

Yukon_Jon

Nov 17, 2018
Yukon Territory
Ownership

1. 500
I recognize this is a two year old thread, but it just became all of a sudden very relevant to me, unfortunately. So thanks! Made things very straightforward. I was going to pull the whole rear off, as suggested elsewhere. But this is definitely faster. If a little more cramped :)

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
C

CTRCME9

Jun 11, 2021
Nc
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 122436

View attachment 122437

Stuff it in the hole!

View attachment 122438

View attachment 122439

Thank you for the step by step on replacement of a bad starter. I must ask about how long did it take to remove old starter and install the new one. I decided to take my machine to a Honda sales/repair shop and I don't want to be charged for idle hours at $90 an hour. According to the manufacturing plant technicians it should take now longer than 2-hours for a novice to change it. Since I am new to this forum any and all information is a plus. Thanks again for your input.

Reactions: Bigtee
C

CTRCME9

Jun 11, 2021
Nc
Ownership

1. 500
I joined the forum yesterday, 11June, I have had no idea what was available out here on the web, especially a forum like this. I live in NC, and purchased my P500 after joining a hunting club since the club parking area and hunting areas are about 1/2 mile from each other and I hunt the far back side. My grandchildren call the machine the big Red bike and love riding in it. My wife takes it out as often as she can. I think she has more hours in it than me. The P500 is/was a great choice for us. Glad to be a member here.🙂🙂

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
After a recent washdown of a muddy p500 my starter is whining like a little b****. Was fine until I took the hose to it.
Wow can't say b****? b****.

• Haha
Reactions: CID
L

Labeef

Jun 18, 2016
Hope, MI
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 122436

View attachment 122437

Stuff it in the hole!

View attachment 122438

View attachment 122439

Just did this starter swap. I removed the left back wheel and used my loader to lift the sxs up a few feet. This allowed my 74 year old body to sit on a crate and do the job. Only trouble I had was getting the new starter to seat all the way in the hole, the o ring offered some resistance so I installed the mounting screws and carefully tightened them a turn at a time to draw the starter in and seat it. Overheating was the cause of failure, the glue holding the magnets came loose and locked up the starter.

Reactions: PJ1 and trigger
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just did this starter swap. I removed the left back wheel and used my loader to lift the sxs up a few feet. This allowed my 74 year old body to sit on a crate and do the job. Only trouble I had was getting the new starter to seat all the way in the hole, the o ring offered some resistance so I installed the mounting screws and carefully tightened them a turn at a time to draw the starter in and seat it. Overheating was the cause of failure, the glue holding the magnets came loose and locked up the starter.
What caused the over heating?

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
Overheating was the cause of failure, the glue holding the magnets came loose and locked up the starter.
I think water is the issue dissolving the glue holding the magnets.

L

Labeef

Jun 18, 2016
Hope, MI
Ownership

1. 500
No water involved, grand son was ridding around our property in low gears on a hot day (first time driving alone) and when he shut it off after 15 minutes of driving, I went to start it and the radiator fan came on and when I keyed the starter, only the click of the relay. Checked the coolent temp and it was high. Took the starter apart and many of the magnets were detached and were locking up the starter.
I use this machine everyday, year round on our farm so 5 years of use was a good run for the original starter

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!