BOX1

Talon Howling Transmission

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I put the first 125 miles on my new Talon X this weekend. The riding was mostly tight trails and rough slow speed exposed rock roads (I’ll make a separate post about my overall impressions a little later). To get to the trails, there was typically 10-12 miles of twisty gravel roads allowing for some higher speed driving. The Talon was great fun on these roads, except for the ridiculously loud high pitched howl from the trans/gear box! It was uncomfortably loud at anything over 30 mph or so. I was running in High range and it was almost unbearable in either acceleration or deceleration, as well as most of the time at a steady cruise. It was so loud my wife let go of the grab bar to plug yer ears. Is this normal? I have a hard time believing Honda Put out a machine with a drivetrain that makes that kind of noise! I checked all the fluids and all looked fine. The howl is present at lower speeds/rpm also, but not nearly as bad as at higher speeds.
Anyone else experience this? I’ve read and watched all the reviews where they talk about how quiet the Talon is when compared to other brand SXS!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Quiet as a mouse here . Get it to the dealer or at least call them and see if they want it in quick or put a few more miles on it .
We have ,in my area, 5 2019s , 4 Xs and a R and 2 2020s 1X 1R They are all quiet .
They range in miles from about 8 (got it yesterday) to 3000 .

Last edited:
T

The-Bearded-One

Mar 23, 2019
North Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have 1000 miles on mine. No noise like that. I get a little extra nose in 4wd, but nothing crazy.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a P1000 and found that even after a visit to the dealer that the sub-transmission oil level was a little low. I thought it wasn't shifting properly, but it just needed a little break-in and more aggressive application on the gas pedal. My transmission settled down after 100 miles or so, but I don't recall it being nearly as loud as what yours sounds like. Let the dealer mechanic take it for a quick ride just to make sure things are normal. Like the previous post says, check BOTH dip sticks - one on the engine and one on the transmission. Both use the same oil. The machines aren't really quiet even when running properly. A Honda mechanic can put your mind a ease or not in a very few minutes.

Reactions: Plumber32
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I took my X to the local dealership that I trust. We compared mine to a brand new X on his lot, and then to his personal R with about 35 miles on it. All sounded pretty similar at idle with the typical clutch whine. When rev’d to 3500-4000 rpm while in Park, both mine and the new unit sounded about the same with the whine increasing with the rpm’s. When reving his R, the wine increased until about 3500 rpm then seemed to fade away. He then lifted the rear tires of mine off the ground and ran it up while in gear. I wasn’t there for that part but he took a video/audio of the sound and sent it to Honda. He also drained the sub-trans reservoir and, depending on what Honda has to say, may send it in for analysis since the level was low when deliver. He was still unsure/unconvinced that the noise is unusual. He always rides his with ear plugs and full helmet so he has no reference based on the 35 miles he’s ridden his.
It’s really hard to say what all that means without actually driving them all under the same conditions, but I should find out tomorrow what Honda has to say.

Reactions: Plumber32
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
With a windshield and no helmet it may be noisy. I don't have a windshield and always wear a helmet. It may be hard to find a UTV that isn't noisy, a Jeep may be the best choice if noise is an issue.

Reactions: JTW
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
With a windshield and no helmet it may be noisy. I don't have a windshield and always wear a helmet. It may be hard to find a UTV that isn't noisy, a Jeep may be the best choice if noise is an issue.
I have a half windshield, and prefer not to wear helmets unless we are riding aggressively, which we don’t often do. I currently have a 2018 RZR 900 Trail and previous to that had a RZR XP 900, both with half windshields and roofs, just like the Talon and both typically driven without a helmet or ear plugs... and both dramatically quieter than the Talon from idle to red line. In fact I started up the RZR the other day for the first time since buying the Talon and was taken aback by how quiet it was in comparison. I guess if I’d wanted a Jeep I probably wouldn’t have bought a Talon.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had a 2011 RZR 900 and put 11,000 miles on it. I had to replace a few parts and the belt drive complete at 10,000 miles. It was a game changer and I really enjoyed it. I drove my Talon without a helmet today and I expect the noise is the same on all Talons. Looks like when your not wearing a helmet you will need ear plugs. I drove the new Kawasaki today and I think its the best belt drive sport model.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
What ever happened with your noise issue?
Still working the issue. I took it to a dealer I trust and he changed out the sub-trans oil and saved it for analysis. He didn’t have the facility to be able to take it out and drive it so it was difficult to diagnose, and at idle it sounds about like every other Talon. He drives a Talon R for his personal SXS and he and I are going to meet in about an hour and go riding. I should know this afternoon wheather mine is any louder than his. He always rides with a full helmet and ear plugs so he doesn’t really know what his sounds like without all the things muffling the sound, but today we’ll know if mine is worse than it should be. I’ll post what we find out!

Reactions: Mudwing
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Still working the issue. I took it to a dealer I trust and he changed out the sub-trans oil and saved it for analysis. He didn’t have the facility to be able to take it out and drive it so it was difficult to diagnose, and at idle it sounds about like every other Talon. He drives a Talon R for his personal SXS and he and I are going to meet in about an hour and go riding. I should know this afternoon wheather mine is any louder than his. He always rides with a full helmet and ear plugs so he doesn’t really know what his sounds like without all the things muffling the sound, but today we’ll know if mine is worse than it should be. I’ll post what we find out!
I have about 1100 miles on my X and it wines when I accelerate or decelerate but when I feather the throttle and float the gears it is quiet. It has gotten a little better after the first 500 or so miles but I have learned to live with it. It must be the way the gears or cut or something IDK..because of this it is difficult to carry on a conversation with a passenger. It would be much nicer it I did not half to listen to the gear train all the time.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have about 1100 miles on my X and it wines when I accelerate or decelerate but when I feather the throttle and float the gears it is quiet. It has gotten a little better after the first 500 or so miles but I have learned to live with it. It must be the way the gears or cut or something IDK..because of this it is difficult to carry on a conversation with a passenger. It would be much nicer it I did not half to listen to the gear train all the time.
Exactly why I just dropped about $1700 on a Rugged Radio system with their best headphones! Only way to muffle the tranny noise so we can communicate and be able to carry on a conversation as well as listen to music without having to try and over power the tranny whine.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Exactly why I just dropped about $1700 on a Rugged Radio system with their best headphones! Only way to muffle the tranny noise so we can communicate and be able to carry on a conversation as well as listen to music without having to try and over power the tranny whine.

I didn't buy their best headphones, but I will say that headphones have really improved the ride enjoyment for both me and my wife. Rode this weekend in 35 deg temps and the Rugged headset kept my ears warm and can enjoy music, talk casually and converse on mobile radio. Glass windshield, wiper and headsets are the best purchase I made on my Talon. I wish I would have done it before buying my stereo which I never use now.

Widower

Widower

Jan 18, 2021
Southern Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
So I put the first 125 miles on my new Talon X this weekend. The riding was mostly tight trails and rough slow speed exposed rock roads (I’ll make a separate post about my overall impressions a little later). To get to the trails, there was typically 10-12 miles of twisty gravel roads allowing for some higher speed driving. The Talon was great fun on these roads, except for the ridiculously loud high pitched howl from the trans/gear box! It was uncomfortably loud at anything over 30 mph or so. I was running in High range and it was almost unbearable in either acceleration or deceleration, as well as most of the time at a steady cruise. It was so loud my wife let go of the grab bar to plug yer ears. Is this normal? I have a hard time believing Honda Put out a machine with a drivetrain that makes that kind of noise! I checked all the fluids and all looked fine. The howl is present at lower speeds/rpm also, but not nearly as bad as at higher speeds.
Anyone else experience this? I’ve read and watched all the reviews where they talk about how quiet the Talon is when compared to other brand SXS!
Mine does same as you describe. Did before first service and after, no change. I chalked it up to a tight diff ring and pinion setup. It is very noticeable. If Honda has troubles a recall may come up. It’s a beast off road machine. I will call my dealer just in case.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a P1000-3 and the transmission is very loud over about 30 mph. I find that cruising at 28 mph is much more comfortable from a noise standpoint than going at higher speeds. I don't don't know if the Talon transmission is the same as the Pioneer or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were the same. I even took mine back to the dealer regarding the noisey trans, but the mechanic told me that my transmission was fine. However, if I were you, I also let the dealer take it for a spin to make sure you don't have something wrong, or take a short ride in someone elses Talon.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've ridden in 3 Talons, the gear whine was painful in all of them even with a helmet. It's the nature of the beast. A friends Rzr was also uncomfortably noisy without the radio headsets. Since I wore foam earplugs for decades on the motorcycles, I'll continue that in SxSs. They aren't all that hard to hear through. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive, it never heals and since it doesn't really hurt, we tend to ignore it until it's too late.

I bought a jar of Mack's Ultra Soft earplugs, $9.89 for 50 pair that lives in a cup holder so I can't forget them, that would ruin my day.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!