P1000 I finally found and purchased a used P1K5 - next steps? Pics!

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After you get the new arms mounted, be sure to recheck the toe setting on the front wheels. You obviously had camber issues and to my eye the toe setting was off as well. You want about 1/8" toe in at normal ride height, split between both sides.

FWIW, I used the STRONGMADE Lift kit, instead of that upper bracket lift (SATV?). The upper bracket lift stands the shocks upright and makes the front end much stiffer, which could contribute to the bent upper arms. The STRONGMADE kit mounts on the lower shock bolt and does not change the angle of the shock, thus does not change the effective spring rate or leverage arm. The ride of this kit is much smoother that the upper bracket kits.

From the looks of that front skid plate (and other damage), the PO did some serious bashing, Be sure to take a close look at the upper control arm front mounting tabs on the frame (near the welds) for signs of failure as well. Those front upper arm mounts are a known failure point of units that have had hard use in rocks (as this one obviously has had). This is a nice rig, fix it an enjoy it.

J

Jon63ill

Feb 7, 2021
St louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own

3. Big Red
I appreciate the help.

Addressing some of the questions:
  • No wheel spacers in the front, but the back has what looks like 2” spacers, presumably to offset moving to the same size tires on front and back.
  • The wheels don’t rub except in very tight turns. Previous owner mentioned this and said if he could do it again, he’d have gone with 28’s instead.
Other than uneven tire wear and appearance, is there any other issue with the negative camber on the front wheels?
For replacing the “A” arms on both sides, what is recommended? OEM? Aftermarket?
If/when I replace them, will I need any other parts?

What are the best web sites people generally use here for OEM Honda parts for Pioneers?

As for the shocks, I assume the stock OEM ones in there are “OK”. If I were to replace them on a budget, what are some recommended ones (not wanting to break the bank – on a budget)?
If your not jumping or crazy hard just take those arms off and use a torch to get them straightened. Add a piece of angle iron welded to it for some stiffness. Use those tires up while you decide what you want.

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
Paulie86314

Paulie86314

Apr 8, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lo
I went outside and looked at it while parked in the garage. It doesn't look nearly as exaggerated in the earlier photo, but it still does have a visible negative camber to it; looks like a bit more on the passenger side front. I looked at the ball joints and hardware around the wheels and nothing stood out to me as worn, broken or an issue.

View attachment 285944

View attachment 285943

Passenger side front wheel area:

View attachment 285942

View attachment 285941

View attachment 285940

View attachment 285939

View attachment 285938

Driver side front wheel area:

View attachment 285937

View attachment 285936

View attachment 285935
ok stock to me

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased the tool "claw puller" from Amazon for about $30 along with a snap ring plier set that opens a bit wider and was able to use them to remove the snap rings and bad ball joints from the control arms and then install them on the new ones. I've inspected everything there while I have the stuff removed and nothing else looks problematic. I've got the new stock control arms on - both upper and lower and moved the arm guard over to the new ones. I've got all the nuts and bolts back in and this evening, will torque them down to spec and then set the alignment on it and check any toe in/out that needs to be adjusted. Hopefully, this will be all I need to do for a while.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice!

That sound roof looks bad@ss! I’m just using 2 oonz xl Bluetooth speaker in stereo zip tied to top roll bar behind drivers seat. Sounds good unless high speed driving.

I’d say you got a good deal with all those accessories.

If you’re near northern AZ, let me know and we can ride together.

I purchased my 2017 1000-5 used as well about 3 years ago. Had 400 miles on it. Just rolled over 2k miles.

First upgrade was the Fox QS3 shocks. Worth the money to me. I was bottoming the front with the stock shocks on dips and holes. Ride comfort is far superior and when I have it loaded with 5 people the firm setting really helps with body roll.

Damn, just saw the pics of the under body, the previous owner really railed some rocks or hard terrain. Make sure your a-arm and shock tabs aren’t cracked or tearing from the frame a known weak point. If that’s ok and main frame rails then it’s just cosmetic.

8E1F9764 9A66 4A0A 9D17 ECE15F2B2943

Last edited:
jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, she's all put back together and the camber looks normal now. I do need to do an alignment as it pulls to the left; hopefully I can avoid having to buy more stuff to do that.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, she's all put back together and the camber looks normal now.
Awesome! Glad to hear it.
I do need to do an alignment as it pulls to the left; hopefully I can avoid having to buy more stuff to do that.
nothing special needed here. Just a tape measure and a couple wrenches.
Just adjust toe and you're done.

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright - I think I was able to get it aligned properly with a lot of trial and error.

Then went a tad further and added a new winch hook and strap, the Seizmik mirror accents, a Seizmik foldable tailgate bed extender, the DEI heatshield, an R2C Extreme Series Air Filter, 4 door cupholders and removed some of the messy radio add-ons that I wasn't going to use.

Next on the list is to do the door mod for the driver underseat storage along with the rear door sidepanel storage mods - and a voltmeter for the dual battery setup. I also ordered the matching red pre-cut decals to go on the "HONDA" letters on the tailgate. I also did purchase a machined aluminum shifter cover and gasket, but I've changed my mind and won't be using it. Spent $80 on that... whoops.

I also want to get a throttle-maxx and some rotopax mounts for the rear bar to hang a couple 2 gallon cans off the sides just behind the rear door. Then I think I can let my wallet breather for a while.

20210810 19051620210810 19014520210810 19010620210810 19001920210810 18592920210810 18591720210810 18591020210810 185904

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wallet's a bit lighter. I've added a few things in the last 6 weeks since the Seizmik bed extender:

RotoPax fuel cans and mounts.
Fox shocks front and rear suspension
Color-matched shifter gate cover w/gaskets
Throttle-Maxx pedal
Whip mount
Considerable amount of DESI heat-shielding under front seat and rear flooring
Rear doors storage modification
Storage door under the driver's seat
Fixed the Subwoofer and amp (was a bad amp) on AudioFormz roof (this thing sounds NICE!)

Only things left for me to add are a lighted whip and maybe some rock lights. Gotta research the best ones.

B

bryan000777

Dec 13, 2020
Flowery Branch GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My wallet's a bit lighter. I've added a few things in the last 6 weeks since the Seizmik bed extender:

RotoPax fuel cans and mounts.
Fox shocks front and rear suspension
Color-matched shifter gate cover w/gaskets
Throttle-Maxx pedal
Whip mount
Considerable amount of DESI heat-shielding under front seat and rear flooring
Rear doors storage modification
Storage door under the driver's seat
Fixed the Subwoofer and amp (was a bad amp) on AudioFormz roof (this thing sounds NICE!)

Only things left for me to add are a lighted whip and maybe some rock lights. Gotta research the best ones.
Those are some awesome upgrades! I have a 2021 Pioneer 1000-3 with stock shocks and thinking about going with Fox front and back. The model that I am looking at is 08Z70-HL4-F50 and 08Z71-HL4-F50. How much of a difference in the ride are the new shocks that you have?

Thanks

B

bryan000777

Dec 13, 2020
Flowery Branch GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those are some awesome upgrades! I have a 2021 Pioneer 1000-3 with stock shocks and thinking about going with Fox front and back. The model that I am looking at is 08Z70-HL4-F50 and 08Z71-HL4-F50. How much of a difference in the ride are the new shocks that you have?

Thanks
Thanks for the reply, I'll get a set!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!