H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Well that sucks. The 3 allen bolts next to the intake tubes are captured in the plastic so that should not happen. The other bolts and collars are away from the throttle body tubes.

Reactions: Isaiah
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is another one I came across (hell, it might even be the same engine the OP is talking about). At first glance, it appears that a valve broke and destroyed the engine but if you look closely, you can see the unmistakable indentation of threads on the piston. And all the little dents were most likely made by a bolt and not a broken valve. This is a classic case of a bolt getting into the intake and destroying an engine...

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I cover my intake tubes with the green filter foam that UNI makes,,, it comes in a small square. If something gets loose in the air box it will not find its way down in the cyl and the foam will catch any minor dirt particles that get past my R2C filter.

Reactions: Isaiah and CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I cover my intake tubes with the green filter foam that UNI makes,,, it comes in a small square. If something gets loose in the air box it will not find its way down in the cyl and the foam will catch any minor dirt particles that get past my R2C filter.
I thought about this but wondered how to keep it from getting sucked in. I just installed the S&B today, hopefully that's the last time I have to take the air filter box off for a year now.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I thought about this but wondered how to keep it from getting sucked in. I just installed the S&B today, hopefully that's the last time I have to take the air filter box off for a year now.
Simple,,,, I just roll the edges of the green uni filter stuff over the edges of the tube with enuf extra to go over the sides. I then took a long wire tie and ran it over the outside of the green material and intake tube then snugged it up. Just like a hose clamp works on the fuel or water hose. If it did get loose and go down the tube I think it would just get stuck in it and plug it up and you could fish it back out,, the engine would start running crappy all at once. Foam material and a plastic wire tie would probably not hurt anything and just burn and grind up and go out the exhaust.

At first I checked it frequently and there was no issues, so now I check it about every other time I ride or travel around 60 to 100 miles or if I have a long weekend of riding planned,,,, No trouble to pop off the cover anyway for a look see.

Currently I'm evaluating my R2C filter,,,, I installed a Filter Minder,,,,and the cover over the intake tubes to determine if any debris gets past the R2C filter and gets caught in the UNI foam stuff.

TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you are running a R2C filter and it is mounted properly I doubt you will have any issues as long as you keep filter serviced. Very good filter.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a buddy trying to buy back his totaled 2020 R from his insurance. Give me a few days to see if he is able to get it and how much he will sell the engine for.

If you can't find used and need to go the OEM parts route, I would try Ron Ayers, they are MUCH cheaper than Partzilla.

For instance...
Head - $998 at Ron Ayers vs. $1,319 at Partzilla
Block - $1,539 at Ron Ayers vs. $2,033 at Partzilla

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
copart has a few talons on them. might get a whole totaled machine for kinda cheap.

Reactions: Sawpilot
Sawpilot

Sawpilot

Sep 6, 2018
West Virginia
barnwoodbuilds.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is another one I came across (hell, it might even be the same engine the OP is talking about). At first glance, it appears that a valve broke and destroyed the engine but if you look closely, you can see the unmistakable indentation of threads on the piston. And all the little dents were most likely made by a bolt and not a broken valve. This is a classic case of a bolt getting into the intake and destroying an engine...

View attachment 208743

View attachment 208744
Different but looks the same lol, his has big hole in the piston from the valve. My talon doing great 3k and no issues

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!