Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I was looking for options on the I4WD - now that people have been running them for a while, what is the overall impressions? Any time it let you down? Not as good as a locker? Better than other systems? What are the likes and dislikes? Good, bad, indifferent, lets hear it...

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I was looking for options on the I4WD - now that people have been running them for a while, what is the overall impressions? Any time it let you down? Not as good as a locker? Better than other systems? What are the likes and dislikes? Good, bad, indifferent, lets hear it...

So far it’s like wearing good boots.

you just never even think about it.
Always traction and no slippage.

no jerking the steering wheel either.

102 miles on my talon x4

J

JTW

For 95% of drivers you’ll never miss the manual locked diff!

There are a couple pros and cons but compared to the other systems out there... it’s better. I still prefer the locked diff for the riding we do... but I see the advantage of the i4wd in certain situations.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Here is a purely hypothetical question for those familiar with i4WD operation, as I ponder if the Talon will be my next purchase. I generally dune in 4WD. So, if the front tires are constantly fighting for traction for long periods of time, and i4WD responds by dabbing the brakes all the time, is there risk of smoking the brakes? I have to admit, being old-school, I would prefer a true locker, when necessary. Not dissing, BTW.

Reactions: TripleB
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had the locking front diff. on one of my earlier ATV's , and liked the idea that it was available should the need arise for it's use.
But I only used it maybe three times in 13,000 miles as I found the limited slip 4X4 mod worked fine and felt better for me.

Then I bought my first Polaris, and was concerned with it's lack of a full lockup capabilities because of a 20 percent rotation of the front tire before before engagement to the other tire. But in 17,000 plus miles of use, it worked great and I did not miss having the full lockup.

Now I have the Talon with it's i4wd and so far in only 1,900 mile use, have found no short coming in it's design.
As JTW stated 95% percent will never miss it.
Only time will tell on it's overall design of the i4wd results...DRK

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is a purely hypothetical question for those familiar with i4WD operation, as I ponder if the Talon will be my next purchase. I generally dune in 4WD. So, if the front tires are constantly fighting for traction for long periods of time, and i4WD responds by dabbing the brakes all the time, is there risk of smoking the brakes? I have to admit, being old-school, I would prefer a true locker, when necessary. Not dissing, BTW.
I too had similar concerns so here is a real world answer. I primarily dune for hours on end. 75% of the time in i4WD at speeds in excess of 50 mph at times and it works flawlessly. First few outings I was checking the brakes and they never even got warm.

The front end is somewhat limited slip. Not real hard to turn the opposite wheel but there is some resistance there. In the dunes, I do not believe that my i4WD has ever kicked in, not even during steep hill climbs. But if it has, it has been so minimal I don't notice it and it has never caused any issues. 1200+ dune miles and my front brakes are still like new.

Have a couple more Talon owner friends that dune even harder than I do and they have had zero issues/concerns with their i4WD.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I too had similar concerns so here is a real world answer. I primarily dune for hours on end. 75% of the time in i4WD at speeds in excess of 50 mph at times and it works flawlessly. First few outings I was checking the brakes and they never even got warm.

The front end is somewhat limited slip. Not real hard to turn the opposite wheel but there is some resistance there. In the dunes, I do not believe that my i4WD has ever kicked in, not even during steep hill climbs. But if it has, it has been so minimal I don't notice it and it has never caused any issues. 1200+ dune miles and my front brakes are still like new.

Have a couple more Talon owner friends that dune even harder than I do and they have had zero issues/concerns with their i4WD.
Excellent feedback, THANKS!

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Great feedback - trying to learn the most I can about the system and hear some real world experiences.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2k miles on my Pioneer LE, 300 on my TalonX. I have never even noticed the I4WD system doing any braking. So I think the system uses such minimal braking that you will not notice it. I have had one or more front wheels off the ground a few times and have never seen both front wheels not turning.

Reactions: Landman and TripleB
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just rolled 1000 miles on my X, mostly run muddy, rocky trails. Have been told numerous times from rzr and x3 owners how impressed they were when I had a tire hanging in the air, and the the one planted on the ground was digging. I could putt through an obstacle when they had to carry speed.

I’ve ran it in the dunes just one time, and had no issues.

I checked my front brakes at or around 750 miles, and they appeared to still have 60-70%, the way I see it, what little amount of pad life the I4wd might shorten is negated, by the ability of being able to down shift and use compression breaking, at least compared to most sport machines

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I only have 270 miles on my Talon X but I’ve done some pretty significant hill climbing in it. One particularly nasty hill was steep, long, and all loose baseball to football size basalt rock. My buddy was first to attempt the climb in his tricked out RZR 900 XP equipped with after market clutching and big lugged tires. He made it about half way and couldn’t go any further. I went up behind him in an identical track right beside his with stock Talon tires. I rolled right past him and on up to the top. I’m not gonna say it was a piece of cake, but the i4WD just kept clawing and digging at those loose rocks until I crested the top.

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
One can see absolutely no difference between a locker and I4WD in the real world. I have ridden 1250 miles on my 1000R doing all kinds of riding except mud bogs. It has worked flawless on all kinds of trails, hard, soft, rocky, wet, muddy, etc. No problem in the sand or serious rock crawling. The advantage being no worries of coming down hard and breaking an axle or cv joint.

No issues with the brakes either. Of course I'm really light on the brakes as I use the phenomenal engine braking of the Talon.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Excellent info and thank you all for your input! I enjoy hearing everyones opinions and thoughts as well as gaining good first hand reviews.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
First of all, it's not an open diff, so most of the time, the mechanical limited slip is doing most of the work. I'd be surprised if I4wd was kicking in much at all in the sand.

When it does kick in, you can feel it pulsating the brakes. It takes a second or 2 for it to start working. Maybe not a big deal to some, but it's screwed me a few times in technical rock crawling. I've also had it flat out not climb a rock. I've also not been impressed in the snow, because at times you are trying to not spin and dig, but the system relies on spin to work.

So to be fair, for most people, riding typical trails, it's fine. Once you get into more hardcore use, it falls short. It's also an infinitely more complex system than any locking diff. My system was actually not functioning from new and it took my dealer 2 weeks to fix.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I would also prefer a locker. It's funny that after years lost in the wilderness with their Visco-Junk, Can-Am has a very good setup with the Smart Lock. The RC version has two levels of controlled slippage to minimize steering bind, plus a full lock mode. The downsides being complexity, and being made by Team Industries the quality control is sketchy at best.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

This is like asking which brand pickup is better. Those that have I-4WD and are happy with it will tell you its good. And several who have full lockers and zero experience with I-4WD will tell you its crap.

I have about 3000 miles on each driveline in 2 different P1K's. I like the I-4WD and 95% of the time it is perfect for general trail riding and much easier steering without shifting in and out, just set it and forget it.

If you are into extreme climbing, rock crawling then you will find situations that a full locker will have better performance if the traction is there.

Some people like shifting levers and being engaged in the driving experience and others would rather just drive and not worry about what mode they are in. It is a matter of personal preference. However those that want to proclaim vast superiority of one over the other is just stroking their opinion ego. Both are good systems.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!