BOX1

i4wd

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So having owned two pioneer 1000s and now this talon, I have to say that I prefer the 4 position diff modes on the pioneer to the i4wd. I drive a lot of asphalt and the open rear diff is so nice on the tires and has to be better on the drive train. The open rear diff is fine for 80% of the trails I’m on too, and seemed to ride better than the locked diff, plus it helps turn sharper.

So long story short, if they ever release a base model talon with the same diff mode selectors as a non LE pioneer 1000, I’m trading mine in. Other than that I’d still prefer a lower low range and a lower reverse. I’d love to see these changes on the X model at least.

Now after all that, question is: any chance a pioneer 1000 rear diff will bolt up into my talon? I could just use a push pull type cable similar to a choke cable to engage and disengage it? Maybe the i4wd system would remain unaffected? Ideally I’d swap thefront diff too, but I assume there would be all sorts of computers getting confused lol.

Besides the lack of diff modes and wanting a lower low, this thing is hands down better than the pioneer. I can’t believe I waited so long to switch. To me, everything that was wrong or didn’t make since with the pioneer is fixed for this machine. It almost seems like the talon was the grand original plan all along, but they used some of the parts they had designed already and rushed the pioneer out to satisfy a need and maybe retain some anxious diehard Honda fans?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So having owned two pioneer 1000s and now this talon, I have to say that I prefer the 4 position diff modes on the pioneer to the i4wd. I drive a lot of asphalt and the open rear diff is so nice on the tires and has to be better on the drive train. The open rear diff is fine for 80% of the trails I’m on too, and seemed to ride better than the locked diff, plus it helps turn sharper.

So long story short, if they ever release a base model talon with the same diff mode selectors as a non LE pioneer 1000, I’m trading mine in. Other than that I’d still prefer a lower low range and a lower reverse. I’d love to see these changes on the X model at least.

Now after all that, question is: any chance a pioneer 1000 rear diff will bolt up into my talon? I could just use a push pull type cable similar to a choke cable to engage and disengage it? Maybe the i4wd system would remain unaffected? Ideally I’d swap thefront diff too, but I assume there would be all sorts of computers getting confused lol.

Besides the lack of diff modes and wanting a lower low, this thing is hands down better than the pioneer. I can’t believe I waited so long to switch. To me, everything that was wrong or didn’t make since with the pioneer is fixed for this machine. It almost seems like the talon was the grand original plan all along, but they used some of the parts they had designed already and rushed the pioneer out to satisfy a need and maybe retain some anxious diehard Honda fans?
The Turf mode and bed is the only reason I don't trade our P1 in on something else.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Well, you can't really compare the two. One is a sport machine and the other was designed to be a "sporty" farm/utility vehicle (which it does a fantastic job of doing). I just wish they'd make a sportier Pioneer model using the Talon X suspension. Would definitely need some geometry changes but they already have damn near all the parts...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, you can't really compare the two. One is a sport machine and the other was designed to be a "sporty" farm/utility vehicle (which it does a fantastic job of doing). I just wish they'd make a sportier Pioneer model using the Talon X suspension. Would definitely need some geometry changes but they already have damn near all the parts...
This virus keeps going, I'll have the cash to add to the stable in a little while! HA!

Reactions: TimG and TripleB
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are you profiting during the virus? Just curious what you do for a living. My job is secure, was a trooper colorado state patrol, now illinois department of corrections. I know a lot of people with secure jobs, but I don't think I know any that are making even more money? Well that's a lie dang it, I'm making 12% more right now for hazardous "pandemic pay" lol. Freaking Illinois, no wonder they are so far in debt.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
How are you profiting during the virus? Just curious what you do for a living. My job is secure, was a trooper colorado state patrol, now illinois department of corrections. I know a lot of people with secure jobs, but I don't think I know any that are making even more money? Well that's a lie dang it, I'm making 12% more right now for hazardous "pandemic pay" lol. Freaking Illinois, no wonder they are so far in debt.
There’s a lot of people doing better in Covid......

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figure there probably are. Seems like most people that have real jobs were deemed essential one way or another and never stopped. Both my brothers work industrial/manufacturing type jobs and they never slowed down. People seem to be spending money like it grows on trees. And I guess some people getting layed off are making more through unemployment than they did working. Crap, I guess if you count that check I got from Trump for no real reason I'm doing pretty decent right now too lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I figure there probably are. Seems like most people that have real jobs were deemed essential one way or another and never stopped. Both my brothers work industrial/manufacturing type jobs and they never slowed down. People seem to be spending money like it grows on trees. And I guess some people getting layed off are making more through unemployment than they did working. Crap, I guess if you count that check I got from Trump for no real reason I'm doing pretty decent right now too lol.
Ooph this could turn into a long thread topic about pandemic and politics all by itself yet again. Lol.
I do agree the turf is a nice thing. Not on pavement much but when it’s dry out I so love the turning radius pivoting around trees. Personally love the solid diff lock too, ultimate traction when it’s needed. Even when slick out and in 4wd there’s always diff lock to get you unstuck to back out if needed.
Was always a huge fan of 1-2-3-4wd of the Pioneer. Looking forward to the Talon but feel like loosing the full ability to control needed or unwanted traction is a let down.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Spot on everybody, I want a Talon but would be giving up too many good things like turf mode,a bed,front and rear lockers, ect .... might have to get one anyway ;)
Well said. A little impractical and not quite perfect, sounds like a great fit.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Spot on everybody, I want a Talon but would be giving up too many good things like turf mode,a bed,front and rear lockers, ect .... might have to get one anyway ;)
I have absolutely no problems with it riding in Oklahoma and New Mexico, but our buddies down in southern Arkansas and Louisiana, where all there is to be found is mud and sandy loam won’t have a Talon and trash talk the i4wd....

They can’t get through the mud.

Reactions: Biteme
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haha, yeah, back on track here... so yeah, even though I'm really missing the diff modes, I definitely don't regret the talon. My kids are a little older now so we didn't even get a x4. Got an x2 so me and the wife can have even more fun. When the kids are with us my son just rides me around on his four wheeler and the wife takes my daughter in the sxs. I do miss thd bigger bed we we are taking stuff to the creek and what not, but on the other hand I love the narrower body and cage!

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I just wish they made a bigger distinction between the R and the X. Leave the R like it is with i4wd. Give the X the diff modes like the pioneer and and lower low range. Or lower high and low for all I care. I've only gone 45mph and that was only once for barely a few seconds. Or just a lower 1st gear would be fine as well. I just want a super low crawler gear, oh, and a super low reverse for back up hills when you get part way down a crazy cliff and realize you don't want to die haha.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I guess I just wish they made a bigger distinction between the R and the X. Leave the R like it is with i4wd. Give the X the diff modes like the pioneer and and lower low range. Or lower high and low for all I care. I've only gone 45mph and that was only once for barely a few seconds. Or just a lower 1st gear would be fine as well. I just want a super low crawler gear, oh, and a super low reverse for back up hills when you get part way down a crazy cliff and realize you don't want to die haha.
This right here was my only real criticism on Honda with the machine. Even though the X does fine in the woods it could’ve been a bit more with less. Lower gearing and the drive system from Pioneer, it doesn’t need i4wd. Also someone could’ve bought either version they wanted and just thrown axles/a-arms at it to make their own perfect version. X could’ve been just a bit cheaper with R just a bit more to differentiate the added expense of the i4wd.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I’m seriously considering an IGR for low and reverse. I would not want to lower high range myself. But I climb really steep rocky trails here in New Mexico and with 4 riders and all my gear, I’ve had a little trouble.

Reactions: TimG
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
X2 on the super low. U can realistically drive most trails in high if u choose to. With that being the case, low range should be much lowered gear than what it is. Thats really my only complaint with the 1000.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, rocky climbs in the Ozarks as well. The x2 on 32s has been ok... but climbing in the pioneer was easier with the lower gearing (smaller tires) and the diff modes. I prefer to just walk up the hills, opposed to rock bouncer style. An x4 with 32s would not work at all for slow climbs.

If they ever make a base model with the other diffs I'll be trading!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yep, rocky climbs in the Ozarks as well. The x2 on 32s has been ok... but climbing in the pioneer was easier with the lower gearing (smaller tires) and the diff modes. I prefer to just walk up the hills, opposed to rock bouncer style. An x4 with 32s would not work at all for slow climbs.

If they ever make a base model with the other diffs I'll be trading!
Yeah, me too. I could never put 32’s on mine without the IGR.
And I too prefer the slow crawl. In the New Mexico steepes that is difficult to do in stock 28’s and still keep the rpm’s at or above 2K.....

Reactions: TimG
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!