Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't post on here but I do a lot of reading on these topics so me having a off road buggy background what would be wrong with honda putting a true transfer case in these things I mean it would solve a lot of re gearing issues and have a true low range in all gears when wanted
Just my 2 cents
In some ways yes it would be damn nice but it wouldn’t be near as compact. Would cost most to manufacture and rob a bit of hp.

Reactions: lee and TripleB
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So having owned two pioneer 1000s and now this talon, I have to say that I prefer the 4 position diff modes on the pioneer to the i4wd. I drive a lot of asphalt and the open rear diff is so nice on the tires and has to be better on the drive train. The open rear diff is fine for 80% of the trails I’m on too, and seemed to ride better than the locked diff, plus it helps turn sharper.

So long story short, if they ever release a base model talon with the same diff mode selectors as a non LE pioneer 1000, I’m trading mine in. Other than that I’d still prefer a lower low range and a lower reverse. I’d love to see these changes on the X model at least.

Now after all that, question is: any chance a pioneer 1000 rear diff will bolt up into my talon? I could just use a push pull type cable similar to a choke cable to engage and disengage it? Maybe the i4wd system would remain unaffected? Ideally I’d swap thefront diff too, but I assume there would be all sorts of computers getting confused lol.

Besides the lack of diff modes and wanting a lower low, this thing is hands down better than the pioneer. I can’t believe I waited so long to switch. To me, everything that was wrong or didn’t make since with the pioneer is fixed for this machine. It almost seems like the talon was the grand original plan all along, but they used some of the parts they had designed already and rushed the pioneer out to satisfy a need and maybe retain some anxious diehard Honda fans?

I get your point on the rear end and I agree. However the rear end has absolutely nothing to do with I4wd. It would benefit others if you change the title of the thread to something that reflects your rear diff question.

I dont think honda rushed the Pioneer out. They don't do anything quickly. They are always slow and late to the game.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In some ways yes it would be damn nice but it wouldn’t be near as compact. Would cost most to manufacture and rob a bit of hp.
Be heavy too huh?

NielsC

NielsC

Nov 28, 2019
Prescott, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could have whatever I wanted and I bought a P1000-5 LE. I hunt, fish, camp and adventure in anything from snow to 120 degree heat. Rocky Mountains to Scorching Desert. I don’t see how anything could do better. It has never so much as hesitated.

J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are you profiting during the virus? Just curious what you do for a living. My job is secure, was a trooper colorado state patrol, now illinois department of corrections. I know a lot of people with secure jobs, but I don't think I know any that are making even more money? Well that's a lie dang it, I'm making 12% more right now for hazardous "pandemic pay" lol. Freaking Illinois, no wonder they are so far in debt.

I'm not making more during this, but I am spending less...lots of things I 'tried' to buy but due to the virus I cannot...my savings has grown as a result. Can't buy for whatever reason, around here the atv's and side by sides have sold like crazy most the dealers are near empty, as people been buying them up to practice 'social distancing' in the mountains or desert. Even went into buy another 50 inch machine (ATV) for those 50 inch trails and they were sold out, that saved us a bundle for now...probably pay cash by the time they have one in, assuming we still want one by then...we might have decided not to by then.

When you have money and no one wants it, means I technically make more...as I have a saying, want more money...spend less.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!