P1000 Ice Crusher Heater with MaxStat

Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently finished installing the Ice Crusher Heater with MaxStat option on 2017 1000-5LE.

Ice Crusher Cab Heater for 18+ Honda Pioneer 1000 Deluxe LE

The heater installs directly under the 2nd battery tub and mounts to firewall directly in front of the 12V accessory plug. The entire front end plastic needs to be removed including inner fenders. Installation requires a minimum of 12 beers (I suggest 6 beers on 2 different days).

HeaterLocation SmallHeaterInstalled Small

The heater provides 4 ducts on the dash (2 in center warning label area, 2 in cup holders (optional)) and 1 duct under the dash on each side just above the drivers and passengers feet. The fan has 3 speeds and a dash mounted temperature control valve. The components are significantly better than your average imported plastic. The heater pulls air from the passenger side of the cab.

I also ordered the MaxStat option which adds an inline thermostat. Basically, all of the flow from the engine is routed through the heater core until the inline thermostat opens and allows flow through the radiator.

HeaterMaxStat Small

Pros:
- high quality parts
- excellent technical support, generally you talk to the person that designed the kit
- needed templates and hole saws are provided in the kit
- the phones and emails are answered by the owners
- the heater and ducts are tucked away in an otherwise unused space,
Cons:
- I ordered directly from Coupers and it took almost a month to get the kit. I believe they were in the process of relocating.
- The heater intake duct fits tight to the air intake tube.
- The 5/8" brass hose fittings didn't thread into the machined aluminum as far as I think they should. Don't attempt thread the fittings into the aluminum without Teflon tape or lube!
- If you call or email it may take 24hrs to get a response
- Installation requires beer and the patience on 2 different days, you could push through in a single day if you have an exceptional amount of patience or if you already know how to remove the front clip. I was already 3 beers in before I got the front clip off.

It certainly seems to work well, however I haven't had a chance to field test.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Recently finished installing the Ice Crusher Heater with MaxStat option on 2017 1000-5LE.

The heater installs directly under the 2nd battery tub and mounts to firewall directly in front of the 12V accessory plug. The entire front end plastic needs to be removed including inner fenders. Installation requires a minimum of 12 beers (I suggest 6 beers on 2 different days).

View attachment 105123View attachment 105122

The heater provides 4 ducts on the dash (2 in center warning label area, 2 in cup holders (optional)) and 1 duct under the dash on each side just above the drivers and passengers feet. The fan has 3 speeds and a dash mounted temperature control valve. The components are significantly better than your average imported plastic. The heater pulls air from the passenger side of the cab.

I also ordered the MaxStat option which adds an inline thermostat. Basically, all of the flow from the engine is routed through the heater core until the inline thermostat opens and allows flow through the radiator.

View attachment 105124

Pros:
- high quality parts
- excellent technical support, generally you talk to the person that designed the kit

Cons:
- I ordered directly from Coupers and it took almost a month to get the kit. I believe they were in the process of relocating.
- The 5/8" brass hose fittings didn't thread into the machined aluminum as far as I think they should. Don't attempt thread the fittings into the aluminum without Teflon tape or lube!
- Installation requires beer and the patience on 2 different days, you could push through in a single day if you have an exceptional amount of patience or if you already know how to remove the front clip. I was already 3 beers in before I got the front clip off.

Are you still satisfied with the Ice Crusher heater? I am about to order one.

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
I'm w

View attachment 105124

Pros:
- high quality parts

Cons:

I am wondering the same thing Prntckt is wondering. Are you satisfied with the ice crusher heater? I have a 2018 P1000-5 LE and I don't want to lose the storage space beneath the seat by installing the Honda OEM one.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 105124

Pros:
- high quality parts

Cons:

Nice review.

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I purchased and installed the ice crusher heater. I echo the same sentiments that Jensonj71 made regarding pros and cons. The product was sold recently and supported by a company in the Minneapolis suburbs. I received the installation kit in a just a couple days after ordering it. The components and instructions are good, although their instructions do not include much detail of removing the front clip and inner fenders From the UTV. I found Honda’s installation instructions for their LED headlight retrofit gave excellent step by step detail for removing the front clip and inner fenders. Their telephone tech support is timely. I was missing a few parts in the installation kit and they shipped them in a few days. I had Gen 1 soft doors on my 1000-3 that did not seal very well. When parked, or moving at a slow speed the heater made a difference. It was not effective at speeds above 10 mph due to all of the cold air pouring into the cab around the soft doors. I ended up installing hard doors on my cab, and that made a significant difference as they seal up the cab much better. Many on the forum have said the Gen 2 soft doors seal up better, so that might be a cheaper option that would work. I also ended up changing the thermostat In the MaxStat from 180 degrees to 192 degrees to get warmer output from the heater ducts. Heater performance is just ok. I think the long un-insulated 5/8” supply line that you run from under the seat to the heater core is part of the problem. There is about a 30-40 degree temperature drop in that line by the time the water gets to the heater core. The supplied hose also tends to collapse flat when it is bent around curves, so I may replace it with a higher quality hose.

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
I purchased and installed the ice crusher heater. I echo the same sentiments that Jensonj71 made regarding pros and cons. The product was sold recently and supported by a company in the Minneapolis suburbs. I received the installation kit in a just a couple days after ordering it. The components and instructions are good, although their instructions do not include much detail of removing the front clip and inner fenders From the UTV. I found Honda’s installation instructions for their LED headlight retrofit gave excellent step by step detail for removing the front clip and inner fenders. Their telephone tech support is timely. I was missing a few parts in the installation kit and they shipped them in a few days. I had Gen 1 soft doors on my 1000-3 that did not seal very well. When parked, or moving at a slow speed the heater made a difference. It was not effective at speeds above 10 mph due to all of the cold air pouring into the cab around the soft doors. I ended up installing hard doors on my cab, and that made a significant difference as they seal up the cab much better. Many on the forum have said the Gen 2 soft doors seal up better, so that might be a cheaper option that would work. I also ended up changing the thermostat In the MaxStat from 180 degrees to 192 degrees to get warmer output from the heater ducts. Heater performance is just ok. I think the long un-insulated 5/8” supply line that you run from under the seat to the heater core is part of the problem. There is about a 30-40 degree temperature drop in that line by the time the water gets to the heater core. The supplied hose also tends to collapse flat when it is bent around curves, so I may replace it with a higher quality hose.
Thanks Prntckt. I wonder if one of these would be a bit better since they are 28,000 BTU. I have a 2018 P1000-5 Limited Edition with the full soft door OEM cab, but I am not sure if it is the Get 1 or Get 2 soft doors. I bought it used, but it was purchased in 2018 from a dealer by the original owner. I"m not sure when the Gen 2 came out.

Reactions: Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heater performance is just ok. I think the long un-insulated 5/8” supply line that you run from under the seat to the heater core is part of the problem. There is about a 30-40 degree temperature drop in that line by the time the water gets to the heater core. The supplied hose also tends to collapse flat when it is bent around curves, so I may replace it with a higher quality hose.
To be clear there is no possibility of the coolant loosing 40 degrees in the heater hose run. 1 -2 Degrees maybe.

The issue with the majority of UTV heaters is that they primarily use outside air vs cabin air for heating.

let’s say your heater is able to make a 60f rise on air passing through the heater core...if out side air is 0F, the warmest supply of your heated air to the cabin is going to be 60F.
If cabin air was used, then the heater can make multiple passes on the same air and raise the cabin temp well beyond 60F.

Sealing the cabin helps but your choices are really to block the main radiator (raising the coolant temp) or making the intake of the heater pull from the cabin or both.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks Prntckt. I wonder if one of these would be a bit better since they are 28,000 BTU. I have a 2018 P1000-5 Limited Edition with the full soft door OEM cab, but I am not sure if it is the Get 1 or Get 2 soft doors. I bought it used, but it was purchased in 2018 from a dealer by the original owner. I"m not sure when the Gen 2 came out.

If the door doesn't have a retainer clip on the upper edge its likely a gen 1 door

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
To be clear there is no possibility of the coolant loosing 40 degrees in the heater hose run. 1 -2 Degrees maybe.

The issue with the majority of UTV heaters is that they primarily use outside air vs cabin air for heating.

let’s say your heater is able to make a 60f rise on air passing through the heater core...if out side air is 0F, the warmest supply of your heated air to the cabin is going to be 60F.
If cabin air was used, then the heater can make multiple passes on the same air and raise the cabin temp well beyond 60F.

Sealing the cabin helps but your choices are really to block the main radiator (raising the coolant temp) or making the intake of the heater pull from the cabin or both.
Vikes79, you make good valid points. This heater system uses return air from the cabin. The MaxStat option blocks flow to the radiator until its internal thermostat opens. When I made the measurements, the MaxStat had a 180 degree stat intalled in it. I measured the temp of the MaxStat device at 180 degrees, which was the temp of the thermostat. The temp of the hose entering the the core was 145, exit hose temp of the core was about 95 degrees. Temps measurements were made with an infared thermometer.There could by some temp inaccuracies due to emissivity calibration being off. After consulting with Ice Crusher tech support, they suggested changing the stat to 192 degrees and sent me one. That improved things, but my Gen 1 soft doors leaked so much that the heater couldnt keep up. I havent measured temps since the changes, but plan to in the near future. Maybe I still have residual air trapped in the system?

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it is possible you have trapped air but I doubt it as should have already set off a few high temp lights.

have you sealed the gaps on the roof? I use big diameter foam rod and shove it in the big gaps on the roof above my soft mid panel and the Honda roof.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4

Ive heard some good things about the Jeggs heaters. What I liked about tbe Ice Crusher is it mounted under the hood and left the area under the seat (where the OEM Honda heater core is mounted) open for a second full sized AGM battery. Some are mounted in the cab, if you dont mind giving up the space. I havent had a chance to fully test it since making changes due to trails in my area being closed. The Ice Crusher heater is a quality kit. I think my heaters performance has more to do with failure of the soft doors to seal up than the performance of the heater. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations for its performance.

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
Ive heard some good things about the Jeggs heaters. What I liked about tbe Ice Crusher is it mounted under the hood and left the area under the seat (where the OEM Honda heater core is mounted) open for a second full sized AGM battery. Some are mounted in the cab, if you dont mind giving up the space. I havent had a chance to fully test it since making changes due to trails in my area being closed. The Ice Crusher heater is a quality kit. I think my heaters performance has more to do with failure of the soft doors to seal up than the performance of the heater. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations for its performance.
I have a Limited Edition P1000 so I like the idea of the ice crusher heater too because I like my undersea storage space. My doors have a velcro strap at the top of them on the inside.

Papaandhistoys

Papaandhistoys

Aug 11, 2019
Backwoods of northern Michigan
Hey there, so, I have a 2019 1000-5LE with siezmik soft doors. ICE CRUSHER is very nice(a little more than a 12 pack for my installation, lol). I did plug some holes! The roof made the biggest difference. But I did make so inner fender wells(just out of some fabric). Some type of weather strip around the doors would help also. I also get a lot of air around the gauge cluster that blows on my hands (that really sucks on my once frost bit fingertips). I still have the 180 thermostat, maybe I’ll change it out next year. If I did it again, I would spend a little more time putting something in front of the heater and the duct work, just to keep the cold air off it. I do let my buggy run for about 20 minutes before we take off, at 25 degrees it’s plenty comfortable with just a sweatshirt at 30/35 mph. The duct running over to the d-side cup holder could use some re-engineering but other than that it was a pretty simple install. Just time consuming. I feel it was well worth it and the tech support was assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
Hey there, so, I have a 2019 1000-5LE with siezmik soft doors. ICE CRUSHER is very nice(a little more than a 12 pack for my installation, lol). I did plug some holes! The roof made the biggest difference. But I did make so inner fender wells(just out of some fabric). Some type of weather strip around the doors would help also. I also get a lot of air around the gauge cluster that blows on my hands (that really sucks on my once frost bit fingertips). I still have the 180 thermostat, maybe I’ll change it out next year. If I did it again, I would spend a little more time putting something in front of the heater and the duct work, just to keep the cold air off it. I do let my buggy run for about 20 minutes before we take off, at 25 degrees it’s plenty comfortable with just a sweatshirt at 30/35 mph. The duct running over to the d-side cup holder could use some re-engineering but other than that it was a pretty simple install. Just time consuming. I feel it was well worth it and the tech support was assume.

Papaandhistoys, did you also install a dual battery setup? I am wondering if I need to do that if I install the ice crusher heater. I also have a winch and plan to use it to plow snow when I get a plow sometime before next winter.

Papaandhistoys

Papaandhistoys

Aug 11, 2019
Backwoods of northern Michigan
I do have the dal batteries and it will be a ton easier to install the heater before you do the batteries. If you contact them they may have a plate that will accommodate some switches along with the heater vents. F880aa9c6aeb1fc551f74ba733b4026a
This is what I did to their plate. I sent them the pic and they thought they mite make this a option.

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
I do have the dal batteries and it will be a ton easier to install the heater before you do the batteries. If you contact them they may have a plate that will accommodate some switches along with the heater vents. View attachment 255787
This is what I did to their plate. I sent them the pic and they thought they mite make this a option.

Thanks a ton Papaandhistoys! I was thinking the same about installing the heater before the dual batteries. I will contact ice crusher before purchasing about the plate with switches. Thanks!!!

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a Limited Edition P1000 so I like the idea of the ice crusher heater too because I like my undersea storage space. My doors have a velcro strap at the top of them on the inside.
Sounds like a Gen1 door. My old soft doors had straps on the top of the doors
I do have the dal batteries and it will be a ton easier to install the heater before you do the batteries. If you contact them they may have a plate that will accommodate some switches along with the heater vents. View attachment 255787

I like where you mounted the heater control. Much more accessible than their recommended location.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted a heater in my P1000 and love it but I added Gen2 uppers and sealed cab and doors. Otherwise you are wasting your money as when its really cold out there is just to much air coming in.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yes it is possible you have trapped air but I doubt it as should have already set off a few high temp lights.

have you sealed the gaps on the roof? I use big diameter foam rod and shove it in the big gaps on the roof above my soft mid panel and the Honda roof.
Vikes79: After installing the hard doors, there still was alot of leakage from roof gaps as you suggested. I sealed the gaps in my roof and that made a big improvement. I also installed shifter seals with additional benefits. The last areas I am going to address are air leaks on the ends of the dash where the OEM nets were attached, and possibly leaks under the steering wheel and brake pedal. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Scoop and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!