BOX1

P1000 Ideas for shifting boots

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Took my dash off. Someone else had the odea, I don't think they got to it though. The amount of duSt and air coming in is crazy. I can't handle it. It's very very very bad.

So. Someone brainstorm. I'm thinking about spray foaming holes and really sealing things up. I got a universal boot that cant work for the 4x4 and it's too small for the gear. So. Universal boot reversed will work fine for gear shifter, but can't work for the 4x4.

The stupid rubber seal that's supposed to stop air does nothing. It's very very dissapointing. It maybe blocks 60% of air, but doesn't cover the scoops they engineered to throw air under the hood (why would they do this? No firewall? That's dumb)

I tried cutting a 4x4 inch piece of rubber,slottingit, and installing under trim. Didn't work, jammed up under shifting. I also don't want to hid the shift track because of obvious reasons.

20160529 231414

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Dash removal takes about an hour start to finish. About a dozen or so hood rivets, and half a dozen bolts.

Start under dash. I think there's 4 rivets and 2 bolts. Then 2 bolts near shifters on dash face. Then 2 rivets each side near buckle and cup holder (if you have upper doors take the foam thing off)

Then go front and pull 2 bolts and 6ish rivets. 2 clamps you just pop off bar. And 3 plugs to unhook.

Under steering wheel pull that tabs 2 hidden rivets, then pull the bottom plastic up twords you yo unlatch. Then it pops off. Then pretty much just yank the dash off. I unscrewed my ignition but I don't know if you actually have to.

20160529 232404 20160529 233503 20160529 230527

Last edited:
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So for the 4x4 shifter I'm just patching a box together with strips of rubber. Won't be 100% sealed, more like 95%. I doubt any air will be able to flow.

I may order a uni boot for the gear shift, but also considering making a box leaving an inch square for shifter to travel. Then with that hole simply laying that factory rubber crap on top. Should seal it up 99%

Some people are saying they like that heat rolling in for winter. As a weatherization guy, I've learned mechanical ventilation is way better than natural ventilation. What does that mean? I'd rather have the ability to have hot air roll through a filtered vent that I can open and close, rather than small unfiltered gaps I cant.

Close the shifter gaps. Close the gaps in the seat. Make a vent with a blower. Cool refreshing air when cab is hot, open another warm filtered air when it's cool.

So that's where I stand. I'm sick of all the dust. I'm sick of the heater on all the time.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go to a plumbing supply house and ask for a armor flex. It comes in tubes to fit around pipes or roles that they use to wrap around chill water valves. This is a very flexible insulation. If you would be able to find a role of it just buy a small piece of it because it is expensive. $4 a foot I think. This armor flex can be glue or attached some way under the dash with just cutting a slot for the shifter to pass through. if you can't find it in the role get a piece for pipe and cut it open and do the same. This stuff is pretty tough and is 1" thick.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I got some of that laying around somewhere.... I got too much crap.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Took my dash off. Someone else had the odea, I don't think they got to it though. The amount of duSt and air coming in is crazy. I can't handle it. It's very very very bad.

So. Someone brainstorm. I'm thinking about spray foaming holes and really sealing things up. I got a universal boot that cant work for the 4x4 and it's too small for the gear. So. Universal boot reversed will work fine for gear shifter, but can't work for the 4x4.

The stupid rubber seal that's supposed to stop air does nothing. It's very very dissapointing. It maybe blocks 60% of air, but doesn't cover the scoops they engineered to throw air under the hood (why would they do this? No firewall? That's dumb)

I tried cutting a 4x4 inch piece of rubber,slottingit, and installing under trim. Didn't work, jammed up under shifting. I also don't want to hid the shift track because of obvious reasons.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
How hard is the dash to remove? Looking at the parts list I'm Missing a rubber water proof flap so I get lots of air.. What would happen if you put washers between the shift plate and the under side of the dash to give the rubber room to stretch? I was to start on the same project as you this aft. Thanks Larry

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How hard is the dash to remove? Looking at the parts list I'm Missing a rubber water proof flap so I get lots of air.. What would happen if you put washers between the shift plate and the under side of the dash to give the rubber room to stretch? I was to start on the same project as you this aft. Thanks Larry

Washers plus rubber would be pretty thick. I don't think that would work. I think best bet is to do a reverse boot and surround the mechanicAL side, not dash side.

The rubber your talking about is for the gear shifter correct?

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Washers plus rubber would be pretty thick. I don't think that would work. I think best bet is to do a reverse boot and surround the mechanicAL side, not dash side.

The rubber your talking about is for the gear shifter correct?

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
I will need to do both shifters. I bought a piece of Neoprene about 3ft sq. I thought the underside would be the best then fold around to the top and glue in place. I was going to punch a hole in the material to keep it tight on the shifter and leave lots of excess to handle the movement of the shifters. How bad is the dash to remove? I also have heater vents in my dash.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will need to do both shifters. I bought a piece of Neoprene about 3ft sq. I thought the underside would be the best then fold around to the top and glue in place. I was going to punch a hole in the material to keep it tight on the shifter and leave lots of excess to handle the movement of the shifters. How bad is the dash to remove? I also have heater vents in my dash.

Took about an hour to get it out. Prob take 30 now that I know what I'm doing. I'll post pics of what I did later and make this a how to thread.

It's going to be harder to get the dash back in than it was to get it out

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Took about an hour to get it out. Prob take 30 now that I know what I'm doing. I'll post pics of what I did later and make this a how to thread.

It's going to be harder to get the dash back in than it was to get it out

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
That will be good. The air, heat and dust are horrible.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
if there was a way to mount the bristles from two small dust broom on opposing sides of the shifting slot where they over lap slightly that would make a pretty good seal. Not certain how you would mount them but may be as easy as running two screws from the inner dash side into the top and bottom ends of the broom head to secure it in place

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
if there was a way to mount the bristles from two small dust broom on opposing sides of the shifting slot where they over lap slightly that would make a pretty good seal. Not certain how you would mount them but may be as easy as running two screws from the inner dash side into the top and bottom ends of the broom head to secure it in place

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
You could use door sweeps. About 3feet long and 1/2--3/4 inch bristles

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
So for the 4x4 shifter I'm just patching a box together with strips of rubber. Won't be 100% sealed, more like 95%. I doubt any air will be able to flow.

I may order a uni boot for the gear shift, but also considering making a box leaving an inch square for shifter to travel. Then with that hole simply laying that factory rubber crap on top. Should seal it up 99%

Some people are saying they like that heat rolling in for winter. As a weatherization guy, I've learned mechanical ventilation is way better than natural ventilation. What does that mean? I'd rather have the ability to have hot air roll through a filtered vent that I can open and close, rather than small unfiltered gaps I cant.

Close the shifter gaps. Close the gaps in the seat. Make a vent with a blower. Cool refreshing air when cab is hot, open another warm filtered air when it's cool.

So that's where I stand. I'm sick of all the dust. I'm sick of the heater on all the time.
These boots / rubber boxes.
Will these be attached to the inside of the dash?
Automotive urethane adhesive?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
These boots / rubber boxes.
Will these be attached to the inside of the dash?
Automotive urethane adhesive?

Used rubber and duct tape for the 4x4. Worked okay. Made sure it didn't impede any movement. Just test drove, and it isn't 100 sealed. Dissapointing about that, but it's still much better than it was.

I remade the gear selector rubber. Mounted it tight and cut a slit for the thing to walk through. Worked good for what it was. Way better than stock. Not 100 sealed, so again not super happy but I knew it wasnt going to be sealed.

20160530 154118 20160530 155520 20160530 164916

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Used rubber and duct tape for the 4x4. Worked okay. Made sure it didn't impede any movement. Just test drove, and it isn't 100 sealed. Dissapointing about that, but it's still much better than it was.

I remade the gear selector rubber. Mounted it tight and cut a slit for the thing to walk through. Worked good for what it was. Way better than stock. Not 100 sealed, so again not super happy but I knew it wasnt going to be sealed.

View attachment 16125 View attachment 16126 View attachment 16127

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!