P700 Idling problem HELP

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Ok so I have a 2011 Big Red and have a weird thing going on. Just a little background probably 2 months ago I had to replace the camshaft the exhaust side lobe was almost round. Replaced it ran like a champ, the other day I it began not wanting to idle when you first crank it up it almost had to warm up before it would sit and idle no big deal. Well then once you put it in gear and start driving it was fine but when you let off the gas and almost come to a stop it cuts off. It only does this sometimes, you can turn the key off turn it back on and it may not do it again the whole day, but it may do it all day its weird. I replaced the IAVC thinking that was it for sure but sure enough it still does it. Unhooked the battery for a while hoping to reset everything and still does it. I feel like it has to be an electrical/computer issue being you can start it right back up everytime and its so unpreditable. Oh, and will the valves being out of adjustment do this? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok so I have a 2011 Big Red and have a weird thing going on. Just a little background probably 2 months ago I had to replace the camshaft the exhaust side lobe was almost round. Replaced it ran like a champ, the other day I it began not wanting to idle when you first crank it up it almost had to warm up before it would sit and idle no big deal. Well then once you put it in gear and start driving it was fine but when you let off the gas and almost come to a stop it cuts off. It only does this sometimes, you can turn the key off turn it back on and it may not do it again the whole day, but it may do it all day its weird. I replaced the IAVC thinking that was it for sure but sure enough it still does it. Unhooked the battery for a while hoping to reset everything and still does it. I feel like it has to be an electrical/computer issue being you can start it right back up everytime and its so unpreditable. Oh, and will the valves being out of adjustment do this? Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Any check engine light flashing? How does it run above idle when cold?

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Any check engine light flashing? How does it run above idle when cold?
No check engine flashing and runs like a champ as long as your in the throttle and will sit and idle fine it’s just when your riding and let out the gas. Checked the valves yesterday to just strike that off the list and they didn’t need any adjustments.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
No check engine flashing and runs like a champ as long as your in the throttle and will sit and idle fine it’s just when your riding and let out the gas. Checked the valves yesterday to just strike that off the list and they didn’t need any adjustments.
I know you replaced it, but that sure sounds like the iacv. Is the wiring to it ok?
Also, those things usually work by bypassing air around the throttle plate. Make sure that passage isn't gummed up.

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
I know you replaced it, but that sure sounds like the iacv. Is the wiring to it ok?
Also, those things usually work by bypassing air around the throttle plate. Make sure that passage isn't gummed up.
Got a question about the iacv in the service Manuel it says to screw it all the way in then install but on a write up I saw on the forum it says to screw it out to match the one you pull out does that make a difference? Also just was using it around the house and didn’t act up one time then it did it. Turned it off turned it on went on like it was suppose to??

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
New problem now seems to be getting worse use to when in neutral you could press gas and it would return to idle fine. Now when at idle you can press the gas and it’ll rev all the way to the limiter but as soon as you ease it back down and take your foot off the gas it dies. Now if you start it at idle and don’t press the gas it will run but as soon as you press the gas it’s going to stop. This doesn’t make any sense to me sure don’t want to take it to the dealer!

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Don’t know what’s going on now it’s not even wanting to start now haven’t done anything different what does this sound like fuel pump maybe I can hear it when you running when key is switch on. When it finally does crank it will run as long as you giving it gas buts dies as soon as you let off.

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Little update to see if anyone has any suggestions, yesterday I pulled the spark plug it was very fouled up so I replaced it didnt help any. Then checked the iavc wiring everything checked out with the meter. Checked the throttle body to make sure everything was tight no leaks that all checked out. Crunk it up now it idles fine but still dies when you get on the gas and let off. I do not know if it is an electrical problem or what? Doesnt seem to be a fuel problem since it will run fine as long as you give it gas. I think I am about to give up and take it to the shop I about checked everything I know to check. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Little update to see if anyone has any suggestions, yesterday I pulled the spark plug it was very fouled up so I replaced it didnt help any. Then checked the iavc wiring everything checked out with the meter. Checked the throttle body to make sure everything was tight no leaks that all checked out. Crunk it up now it idles fine but still dies when you get on the gas and let off. I do not know if it is an electrical problem or what? Doesnt seem to be a fuel problem since it will run fine as long as you give it gas. I think I am about to give up and take it to the shop I about checked everything I know to check. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
So the throttle body was clean and all?

It's tough to say without being there. Maybe it's time to take it in.

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
So the throttle body was clean and all?

It's tough to say without being there. Maybe it's time to take it in.
Yea the throttle body is clean, Im about to give up and take it in do not really know what else to try.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea the throttle body is clean, Im about to give up and take it in do not really know what else to try.
This will sound dumb but what about your air filter?

Reactions: Mudwing
D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
This will sound dumb but what about your air filter?
I tried it with filter detached from the throttle body and with the top off the cover still didn’t help.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried it with filter detached from the throttle body and with the top off the cover still didn’t help.
Spark plug and wire? Also you may want to put a coil tester on it to make sure the coil isn’t week.

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Spark plug and wire? Also you may want to put a coil tester on it to make sure the coil isn’t week.
I replaced the plug it was very fouled up I have good spark when I tested it. What’s the best way to test the coil?

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced the plug it was very fouled up I have good spark when I tested it. What’s the best way to test the coil?
Put a coil tester on it, it will light up bright if it’s firing good, it will be dim if it’s not. You can pick one up at you local auto parts store most likely.

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Put a coil tester on it, it will light up bright if it’s firing good, it will be dim if it’s not. You can pick one up at you local auto parts store most likely.
Just got home pulled the new plug out and it’s fouled up already and has it seems like a little oil on it I can only assume this isn’t good at all....

D

Dylan23

Jul 11, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Well I say it’s oil it may be gas mixed with the black on the plug either way thats not right! Any ideas? By the way when I got home hit the key crunk right up ran for about 20 seconds then died out. Hit the key does the same thing.

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I say it’s oil it may be gas mixed with the black on the plug either way thats not right! Any ideas? By the way when I got home hit the key crunk right up ran for about 20 seconds then died out. Hit the key does the same thing.
If it’s firing weak, gasoline can wash the rings. Just a thought. If your getting oil on the plug I’d says you’re rings are weak.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Compression? Hate to say it, but in my mind thinking possibly another cam victim?
He did a cam recently.

@Dylan23 is there a spark arrester screen somewhere on the Big Red? Check and make sure it isn't plugging up.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!