BOX1

P1000 Illustrated cheap winch installation

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Picked up my P1000 last Friday and already have my roof, gun rack, rear view mirror, oiled air pre-filter, and now my winch installed. I wanted a light weight winch with wireless remote, so I went with this Amazon 3500 lb for $118: winch with synthetic cable. For a mount, I almost bought the SuperATV winch mount, but I found this knock-off on Ebay for only $40: mount If I'd found that mount before purchasing the winch, maybe I'd bought the Badland 5000 lb (Harbor Freight) winch that the mount was designed for. As it stands, I had to drill holes for the 3500 lb witch through the 3/8" steel mount plate. Not easy, and I ended up buying a $14 cobalt bit.
DSC00792

Winch came with a solenoid that had winch connect wires too short to mount the solenoid under the hood, so I mounted it on the inside of the front bumper plastic. There is also a 8' wired control switch that I'll keep under the seat in case the wireless controller dies:
DSC00807

Connected directly to the battery . That's the fuse inside the shrink tubing (that I still need to shrink).
DSC00805

Had to move the fairlead down to lower the line angle--more hole drilling! Just about horizontal, now.
DSC00809

All done. Fairlead and rubber stop were separate Amazon purchases. Hardest part was drilling all the dang holes. Otherwise, this installation was pretty easy.
DSC00812

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good. Good luck with that winch. From my research I heard 4500lb winch is the minimum you want with a P1k5. I just installed a viper 5k winch. Great winch. And the SxS store here sells them too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks good. Good luck with that winch. From my research I heard 4500lb winch is the minimum you want with a P1k5. I just installed a viper 5k winch. Great winch. And the SxS store here sells them too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I know, I read that after I bought the winch. But here in AZ we don't really have much deep mud that usually requires more tugging power. We're more likely to have a steep section of road that is too slick to get traction. Or in the winter, you could get in some deep snow that high centers you. I don't think either of those situations would require 4500 lbs.

Reactions: Gabbas
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good luck with that setup. I've always disliked purely tensile loads in winch mounting bolts and these machines really need a 4500lb winch for recovery. Hope it works for you.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good luck with that setup. I've always disliked purely tensile loads in winch mounting bolts and these machines really need a 4500lb winch for recovery. Hope it works for you.
Thanks. I would have preferred shearing as well.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!