tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have used Garmin products in my cars for more than a decade and would like one for my P500.
All I can find are small handheld units. I would like a larger screen, perhaps 5 or 6 inches that can be firmly mounted.
I think that I will have to go with a different brand.
If I could find a unit that I can also load with marine charts for the Great Lakes it would be a bonus. I do not need a depth/ fish finder.
Please note that I live in Ontario Canada. I probably will not have any use for USA maps and charts.
Price will be a consideration but not the major factor. This $11,000 machine has already cost me a lot more and I expect even more outlay in the future.
I look forward to any recommendations you have.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look at “GPSfiledepot” they may have topo maps or you can get them.

If you’re using an apple device Google Earth can load kml/kmz files now and will provide GPS tracking without cell service.

Android you can use ORUXmaps and get topo from Google maps with a slight modification to a config file(remove auto-updates or you will have to replace the string of commands in the file every time it updates)

R

Rustell

You can load other maps into Ourx.. buy an 8” Samsung Tab A from amazon and load OURX maps on it. Then start mapping and loading existing trails.
Is Ourx an app.? do you need cell service for this to work.? I googled Ourx and got an on line pharmacy

Reactions: DG Rider and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Google Earth can pull in KML files here’s a screen shot of the map I’m working on for Stony Lonesome.

Android only the screen shots from my iPhone are too large to load to the site.

Orux doesn’t display the names as well, still working on why, they display the same as lifetime maps do, I guess I am using the same method to create the maps.

74C06CCB 10AA 486E ADB2 48B030D849A3

Garbageman

Garbageman

Dec 6, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'm using an old cell phone with OnX maps app on it. It's 30 bucks a year for Idaho maps, but I can download at home where I'm going to be, and get topo and sat maps both. It works for me, and also goes back to my computer, so I can look at the stupid stuff I do on a bigger screen.

16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I have used Garmin products in my cars for more than a decade and would like one for my P500.
All I can find are small handheld units. I would like a larger screen, perhaps 5 or 6 inches that can be firmly mounted.
I think that I will have to go with a different brand.
If I could find a unit that I can also load with marine charts for the Great Lakes it would be a bonus. I do not need a depth/ fish finder.
Please note that I live in Ontario Canada. I probably will not have any use for USA maps and charts.
Price will be a consideration but not the major factor. This $11,000 machine has already cost me a lot more and I expect even more outlay in the future.
I look forward to any recommendations you have.
I bought a Lowrance Elite-7TI. It has both land and water features. It's waterproof and touchscreen.
20180721 193622 20180721 193519

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!