P700 Information on previously discussed stalling issues

H

HondaTech

Can anyone whose had the stalling/shutting off/"resetting" issue please post some information here for me to gather.

The following would be greatly appreciated:

Year
Miles
Any electrical modifications
When did the issue start
Repairs made to fix issue
Has the issue returned?

Thanks in advance
Note this is not related to anything official from Honda, just myself doing research.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can anyone whose had the stalling/shutting off/"resetting" issue please post some information here for me to gather.

The following would be greatly appreciated:

Year
Miles
Any electrical modifications
When did the issue start
Repairs made to fix issue
Has the issue returned?

Thanks in advance
Note this is not related to anything official from Honda, just myself doing research.
2016 P1, 4,000 miles, secondary battery w/ iso all add ons off the secondary Batt, issues started 2,500, replaced injector leads and air induction lead, no issues since.

H

HondaTech

2016 P1, 4,000 miles, secondary battery w/ iso all add ons off the secondary Batt, issues started 2,500, replaced injector leads and air induction lead, no issues since.

I thank you for your participation, but I intended to keep this focused on the P700 owners that had this issue last year.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
2020 700-2
Can't remember milage when it started. I'd have to do research.

Has about 4600 or so now.

Only wiring changed is for winch enable/disable rocker powered off the accessory port.

Initially did the ignition switch. Thought it had fixed it, but a few months later it came back. Did the switch again, along with ecm, and clean the grounds again. Again, ran for a bit, and then returned for the worst round of stalling back in may in 100 degree+ heat. Did lots of testing.

Finally...what seems to have fixed it (fingers crossed): went and recrimped all the grounds back behind the gas tank. Moved the "main" engine ground to a different bolt hole. I then spliced all 3 grounds going to the ECM up next to the module and ran those back to the same ground location, essentially giving the 3 grounds 2 paths each for ground redundancy. Hasn't done it since, even on 95+ degree rides.

You're familiar with the best thread on here for this:

@Slackjaw

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
Bought:
09/09/2021
Started having stalling issues @ 500 miles after driving thru a short span of tall water. (18'' deep)
02/02/2022:
Took it to dealer under warranty. Seemed to fix problem, unbolted ground block, cleaned and refastened to frame.
this seemed to fix problem but a year later after I washed my 700 the exact same stalling started again.
I replicated fix and it once again quit stalling.
Now, just this past week I cleaned the muck from my machine and again it has become unrideable because of the nonstop stalling. Because of surgery I haven't been able to do any tinkering. its become a real
piTA.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
2020, no electrical mods. Def heat related but not engine temp. I'm at about 1600 miles. Been happening since around 1000. I removed my under seat insulation and that helped but still occurring. I do have aluminum skid plates that hold heat.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2020, no electrical mods. Def heat related but not engine temp. I'm at about 1600 miles. Been happening since around 1000. I removed my under seat insulation and that helped but still occurring. I do have aluminum skid plates that hold heat.
Do u have this in your buggy?
It works wonders for getting rid of heat. I can contest to that.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does it get rid of heat or just keep the heat off the passenger? I think the issue is a wire or something heating up too much and losing connection under the seat. I previously had insulation under the seat but took it out trying to fix this issue

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Does it get rid of heat or just keep the heat off the passenger? I think the issue is a wire or something heating up too much and losing connection under the seat. I previously had insulation under the seat but took it out trying to fix this issue
Keeps the heat from coming up into the cab. Essentially a rubber blanket that covers the plastics behind the seats.

1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Everyone always points their finger at electrical system getting to hot under the seat causng the stalling issues, Do the stalling issues ever occur when its not superhot under the seat? I know its not common with fuel injected engines but could it be caused by vapor lock? The fuel tank and fuel lines which run to the fuel injector are all subject to those underseat temperatures.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Everyone always points their finger at electrical system getting to hot under the seat causng the stalling issues, Do the stalling issues ever occur when its not superhot under the seat? I know its not common with fuel injected engines but could it be caused by vapor lock? The fuel tank and fuel lines which run to the fuel injector are all subject to those underseat temperatures.
I'd have to go back and look at some of the posts here, but I've had it happen on a 60-70 degree day, if I recall. The worst bout with mine happened on a hot day, but outside of that, temp doesn't seem to have mattered on mine.

But...its not vapor lock, regardless. It's the machine loosing electrical power for a few seconds, and then coming back. Mine hasn't done it since adding extra grounds and re-crimping the factory ones.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'd have to go back and look at some of the posts here, but I've had it happen on a 60-70 degree day, if I recall. The worst bout with mine happened on a hot day, but outside of that, temp doesn't seem to have mattered on mine.

But...its not vapor lock, regardless. It's the machine loosing electrical power for a few seconds, and then coming back. Mine hasn't done it since adding extra grounds and re-crimping the factory ones.

What's odd to me, is that I've gone to atv parks and gone balls to the wall and it's never happened. But driving. Steady speed around the hunting club on a hot day? Yup.

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
I redid the ground cleaning and once again it stopped the dying, for awhile. Now it has stater up again. I’m going to add more grounding and see if that will fix it for good. This issue is a real PITA. Does anyone have any info as to Honda addressing this problem with changes to the newer models? I’ve never owed a Honda product that gave me any problems like this.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I redid the ground cleaning and once again it stopped the dying, for awhile. Now it has stater up again. I’m going to add more grounding and see if that will fix it for good. This issue is a real PITA. Does anyone have any info as to Honda addressing this problem with changes to the newer models? I’ve never owed a Honda product that gave me any problems like this.
I looked at a newer model...don't remember the year, but it was before the new gauges, and the grounds looked identical to my 2020. So that hadn't changed. Can't say for the newer ones, but maybe @HondaTech can.

But...I don't know if it's a "design" issue so much as maybe a bad batch of harnesses? My 2014 has the grounds in the exact same locations and never had an issue In 9000+ miles. The only major difference between it and my current 2020 is EPS. I've ask before about who with this issue was EPA vs non-EPS, but they just wasn't enough answers to draw a conclusion.

H

HondaTech

At some point they added a ground under the passenger side front fender. Not sure what what year exactly.

We had a new 2022 model a customer had just picked up exhibiting these symptoms.
After looking the unit over (iirc it might have had 20 miles on it) we found the customer had installed a Honda winch and didn't tighten that ground under the front fender. He'd used that for his winch contactor ground and it wasn't even finger tight.

It appears that ground is directly for the Regulator/Rectifier

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I looked at a newer model...don't remember the year, but it was before the new gauges, and the grounds looked identical to my 2020. So that hadn't changed. Can't say for the newer ones, but maybe @HondaTech can.

But...I don't know if it's a "design" issue so much as maybe a bad batch of harnesses? My 2014 has the grounds in the exact same locations and never had an issue In 9000+ miles. The only major difference between it and my current 2020 is EPS. I've ask before about who with this issue was EPA vs non-EPS, but they just wasn't enough answers to draw a conclusion.
Mine is non-eps. 🤷

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!