International DT466

gauspohl4305

gauspohl4305

Supporting Member
Aug 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looking for some people that have some knowledge and preferably 1st hand experience on the Internationals DT466 or others for a tow pig. Looking for input on cruising speeds with what weights, what to look for as far as year or truck, what kind of tranny is best, what's a good price,or any other details that can be provided.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have rebuilt, new cylinder liners, pistons, rod bearings, “the works kit” that international sells for them, pretty darn tough little engines. Stay clear of the last few years they made them. Like 02-06 ish I think, they had many more issues, the same fuel system as the notorious 6.0 ford, prone to high pressure oil leaks on the manifold feeding the injectors, sensitive and finicky injection system, egr valve and cooler issues. The generation befor that was bullet proof. Just check and see what all the tractor pull guys are after

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If my memory hasn't failed, the designation "DT-466" referred to the IH inline six cylinder turbodiesel engine not the truck. It is a common and tough light truck engine that was installed in thousands of IH trucks.

To determine value you need to know the year, equipment, mileage, and condition of the particular truck. Cruise speed depends entirely on how a particular truck was "spec'd" meaning what transmission, differential gears, and size of tires/wheels the truck has.

Reactions: ChadD
gauspohl4305

gauspohl4305

Supporting Member
Aug 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
If my memory hasn't failed, the designation "DT-466" referred to the IH inline six cylinder turbodiesel engine not the truck. It is a common and tough light truck engine that was installed in thousands of IH trucks.

To determine value you need to know the year, equipment, mileage, and condition of the particular truck. Cruise speed depends entirely on how a particular truck was "spec'd" meaning what transmission, differential gears, and size of tires/wheels the truck has.

Any knowledge on old ambulance's? Not the 1 ton van style? Any recommendations on what the start looking for? Looking to pull approximately 10k lbs, and be able to cruise 70 mph or so.

Reactions: Smitty335
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm an old RVer and had a lot of experience with RV towing with light trucks. I bought my first travel trailer in Bremerton, WA in 1972 and was an avid RVer until a year ago. That's more than 40 years.

I sold my last Dodge-Cummins to friends back in Texas a year ago but owned them for years and put hundreds of thousands of miles on them. My vision is fading and I'm not safe to pull or back trailers any longer so was forced to give it up. Sadly!

I was also an RV transporter leased to three different RV Transport companies from 2005 - 2007. I pulled new trailers from factories to dealers in all 48 contiguous states and many Canadian provinces.

I also had a late close friend who was a long-time truck salesman, sales manager, and dealer and learned a lot from him.

I'll tell you my honest opinions. You already have your mind made up and you won't like my answers but you will eventually learn that I was correct.

1. You don't want an old high mileage medium duty truck like an IH DT466. They'll beat your kidneys out and empty your wallet and bank account. You want to tow with a diesel-powered Class III ("one ton."

2. Towing 10k is nothing for a modern diesel light truck.

I'm willing to answer all your questions if you want to learn but I'm not willing to argue with you about my recommendations.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!