BOX1

P1000 Is it hard to fully engage LOW in your Pioneer 1000 ??

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Over in the Talon section there is a thread about low gear engagement issues:

@PaulF has designed a different shift gate to allow the shifter to move a little further in order to fully engage the gear, for the Talon.

I have noticed this issue on my Pioneer 1000. Especially when cold, I need to really make sure the shift lever slams against the very bottom of the gate to get it in. Sometimes I have to do that a couple times. It seems to hit every other gear just fine. I don't have as much experience with the 1000 as many of the other members here, so I'm hoping others will chime in on this subject. I have read that some are getting better results by adjusting the cable, but I feel like if I adjust the cable it could mess with getting it into the other gears. If I only have a problem with LOW, maybe a modified gate would improve function and avoid partially engaging gears and premature failure.

Paul has hinted that he could maybe possibly come up with a version of his idea for the Pioneer 1000. Two factors: 1. Is there demand? He would want to hear 25 or more commitments before investing his time and efforts into this. 2. He would need access to a Pioneer 1000

Thoughts?

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't notice the problem in the summer, but I did in the winter. I really have to wait for it to kick in and for it to say "L" on the dash. All my other gears work fine, and the shifter seems to be lined up perfectly.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd at least check cable Freeplay. With shifter in neutral, check Freeplay up and down. Manual says 2+mm either way. Key is it should be the same up or down.
If adjustment is fine, next I'd check metal tube at end of shift cable on subtrans end. It's there to reinforce the cable. Mine popped out completely and I couldn't get machine into low at all. It's thin metal and is just crimped onto cable. Tube is under boot on cable end.
If metal tube is intact and still crimped, check low engagement with engine off. See if "L" comes on dash easily. At around 6k miles my clutches started dragging. With engine running it was hard to shift especially into low.

R

rickoshea

I didn't notice the problem in the summer, but I did in the winter. I really have to wait for it to kick in and for it to say "L" on the dash. All my other gears work fine, and the shifter seems to be lined up perfectly.
same. mine's in the shop right now getting the shift indicator on the dash sorted out,and the cables adjusted.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it is cold out again. I used the 0w30 Honda oil in the last oil change and this does help with shifting into low gear.

Reactions: Ohio4x4 and Biteme
bradvass1979

bradvass1979

Dec 15, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sign me up for the modified shift gate. After one subtrans replacement for low gear due to shifting issue its doing it again periodically

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Over in the Talon section there is a thread about low gear engagement issues:

@PaulF has designed a different shift gate to allow the shifter to move a little further in order to fully engage the gear, for the Talon.

I have noticed this issue on my Pioneer 1000. Especially when cold, I need to really make sure the shift lever slams against the very bottom of the gate to get it in. Sometimes I have to do that a couple times. It seems to hit every other gear just fine. I don't have as much experience with the 1000 as many of the other members here, so I'm hoping others will chime in on this subject. I have read that some are getting better results by adjusting the cable, but I feel like if I adjust the cable it could mess with getting it into the other gears. If I only have a problem with LOW, maybe a modified gate would improve function and avoid partially engaging gears and premature failure.

Paul has hinted that he could maybe possibly come up with a version of his idea for the Pioneer 1000. Two factors: 1. Is there demand? He would want to hear 25 or more commitments before investing his time and efforts into this. 2. He would need access to a Pioneer 1000

Thoughts?
I had a little trouble at first. I switched to 0-w40 synthetic oil in the sub trans and it's much better. I also ran a bit over on this last engine oil change and my clutch began to drag. One of the guys here said he had this issue when due for an oil change. I changed the oil and it's back to the usual operation.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Mine has shifted completely into Reverse, Neutral, or Drive without issues since new when moving the lever from Park or Neutral but the action is rough and crude from Drive back to Park.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The link in my sig shows the moly augmented oil some of us are using in the Talons. It also shows the clutch relearn procedure that should be done 'occasionally' - that may help with creeping in gear.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!