IXCR Aftermath and thoughts/changes

H

HondaTech

Happy with the 4th place class finish, considering the last lap was ran overheating and could've ran another if they'd gotten to the tent a little earlier. Couple things will need to be addressed before next race:

1. Radiator will have to be relocated, packed half way up full of mud and sand. This is probably the most serious problem to tackle as it could put the car out of the race.

2. Tree kickers; drivers side took a good beating, will definitely need some sort of bar to keep the wheels away from trees.

3. Rear bumper, got smacked good in the rear as well, cage does extend to around the stock location. Something more substantial will need to be to cover the exhaust.

That being said, my boss was super happy to just finish the race and not break anything. He said the car was super fast and great overall, with the exception of soft rear suspension. Wasnt much out there that could run from it on the straights and it murdered the sand whoops. He just overdrove some of the corners and got stalled behind some pileups.

Here's to the next race and hopefully some more seat time before then.
20200302 131432

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
1. Radiator will have to be relocated, packed half way up full of mud and sand. This is probably the most serious problem to tackle as it could put the car out of the race.

H

HondaTech

This is route we're currently looking at going with, I thinks he's gotten in contact with with Hess about their setup.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Happy with the 4th place class finish, considering the last lap was ran overheating and could've ran another if they'd gotten to the tent a little earlier. Couple things will need to be addressed before next race:

2. Tree kickers; drivers side took a good beating, will definitely need some sort of bar to keep the wheels away from trees.

3. Rear bumper, got smacked good in the rear as well, cage does extend to around the stock location. Something more substantial will need to be to cover the exhaust.

That being said, my boss was super happy to just finish the race and not break anything. He said the car was super fast and great overall, with the exception of soft rear suspension. Wasnt much out there that could run from it on the straights and it murdered the sand whoops. He just overdrove some of the corners and got stalled behind some pileups.

Here's to the next race and hopefully some more seat time before then.
View attachment 187831

That's a nice looking machine

Reactions: Mopower58
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Video of the 1st round
  1. I'm sure that was a lot more fun to participate in than to watch :cool:
  2. He is experiencing the same shift problems that many of us are, I cringed each time I heard that Sub-Trans grind. His Sub-Trans is not going to last long if he keeps missing gears like that. Maybe he can relay the shifting issue to mother Honda, they might listen to a Dealership because they seem to be blowing off owners.
  3. In the meantime, he needs one of these...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Holy LOTS OF TREES BATMAN says the desert rat. :eek: I can see the absolute necessity of tree kickers. A guy could do some serious damage catching a rear tire on a tree. :oops: Obviously the fronts too but you can kinda see them.

Wonderful lack of obnoxious exhaust noise, nothing but gearing for the most part. I couldn't sense any turbo lag, that seems to be a non issue. Although more is almost always better, I wonder if Joe Average 'needs' turbo power in that tight environment. Race teams get to write them off so 'why not' - just out of my $$$$ league. :(

Seeing my new toy getting raced is cool - thanks for posting the video. 👍

H

HondaTech

1. I'm sure that was a lot more fun to participate in than to watch :cool:
  2. He is experiencing the same shift problems that many of us are, I cringed each time I heard that Sub-Trans grind. His Sub-Trans is not going to last long if he keeps missing gears like that. Maybe he can relay the shifting issue to mother Honda, they might listen to a Dealership because they seem to be blowing off owners.
  3. In the meantime, he needs one of these...

View attachment 188313

He said the majority of it was him being impatient and slamming the shifter around. Hes looked at a couple gates, but I've never seen one like that. Yours seems like a much better design then the ones with the dual gate.

Where did that one come from?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
He said the majority of it was him being impatient and slamming the shifter around. Hes looked at a couple gates, but I've never seen one like that. Yours seems like a much better design then the ones with the dual gate.

Slamming the shifter around will get him into trouble. The Sub-Trans can't handle too many miss shifts.

I made the shifter in the pic. It moves P,R,N,H forward a little and allows about 7mm of extra throw for Low and moves the Low gate back a little so that you HAVE to be in Low or it won't move to the left (unlike the stock gate that give you the false impression that you are in Low when sometimes you are not).

Also, if the dogs are not full engaged into Low, it will preload the cable/shift dogs so that when you begin to move, it forces the dogs together into Low to avoid the dreaded "Bang" that is plaguing the Talon.

There are 2 versions. OEM style with 7mm extra throw and the Semi-Quick Shift (pictured above) with the same extra throw.

So far, it is working great. I tested the Semi-Quick version this past weekend and it makes "no-look" shifting a breeze. At this point, HondaBob probably has 1000 miles testing the OEM style and says it is a great improvement over stock.

Apparently you have not been following this thread...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oops, too slow. :oops:

Speaking out of turn, @PaulF has been experimenting with different designs and printing them, looking for the most effective design.

From here:

H

HondaTech

Round 2: King of The Moutain Results

Well the Talon made it all the way to the finish again with some injuries.

Hess radiator relocation worked flawlessly, never saw over 2 bars on the gauge. He said the driveline seems unharmed and still really strong.

Another Talon racer forced him into a tree at a bottleneck and snapped the driver's side lower a-arm and pretzeled the upper.

Finished 4th in class out of 7, with 2 DNF's. 2nd in class points overall, 1 point out of first place.

We are chasing a stalling issue, car wants to stall out when coming to a quick stop from a high speed pull. Also seems to do something similar on the start.

Happy the car is still strong, looking at RaceCo arms, but they won't be available for another month.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Round 2: King of The Moutain Results

Well the Talon made it all the way to the finish again with some injuries.

Hess radiator relocation worked flawlessly, never saw over 2 bars on the gauge. He said the driveline seems unharmed and still really strong.

Another Talon racer forced him into a tree at a bottleneck and snapped the driver's side lower a-arm and pretzeled the upper.

Finished 4th in class out of 7, with 2 DNF's. 2nd in class points overall, 1 point out of first place.

We are chasing a stalling issue, car wants to stall out when coming to a quick stop from a high speed pull. Also seems to do something similar on the start.

Happy the car is still strong, looking at RaceCo arms, but they won't be available for another month.

Congrats! What tires does he run? I saw the Pro Armor's crawler on at one point. I run the MRT version of them in a 30" and love them. I have considered the 32" Pro Armor's.

H

HondaTech

Congrats! What tires does he run? I saw the Pro Armor's crawler on at one point. I run the MRT version of them in a 30" and love them. I have considered the 32" Pro Armor's.

For racing hes running 29" Maxxis Liberty for contingency.

Reactions: Hometeam
H

HondaTech

Season end update!!

Finished the season 2nd overall. If we'd narrowed the car sooner, we probably could've secured 1st.

Last race (this past weekend) the passenger side rear shock came apart where it screws into the reservoir. We have no idea how, our suspension guy said there should've been locktite on the threads and there doesn't appear to have been any. So it's probably been like that since day one and could maybe have turned when the springs were swapped, but its unlikely.

Also broke the sway bar and bent the upper 4 link bar.

Other than that the car has held up great with the exception of the drivers side a-arm mounts bending, due to that side being ripped off in earlier accident.

Just to recap the build

2019 Talon R
Jackson Turbo
Machined "R" rack to make "X" rack
Reinforced stock "X" arms
RaceCo tie rods
Hess steering quickner/wheel
Dragonfire quick hub
RaceCo upper shock tower brace
RaceCo trailing arm mount braces
RaceCo radius rods
GForce Racing suspension
Krash Offroad cage
Honda Front Bumper with Krash cage tie ins
Rugged Radios intercom
Rugged Radios helmet clean air system
Hess radiator relocate
Honda aluminum doors

Sure I'm forgetting stuff, but the engine is stock and most of the suspension components were replaced as the result of a crash.

Heading to TexPlex on the 12th, going back to R front suspension. Got a spare engine for next year. Going big to bring home a championship.

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
More proof that these Talons are on a whole new level of performance compared to other SxS's. :cool:

I may or may not be at Texplex on the 12th with my new car. Its very close to race ready but not.. Im more focused on having it 100% ready for the start of the short course series in January. It would be cool to meet you guys though....

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

More proof that these Talons are on a whole new level of performance compared to other SxS's. :cool:

I may or may not be at Texplex on the 12th with my new car. Its very close to race ready but not.. Im more focused on having it 100% ready for the start of the short course series in January. It would be cool to meet you guys though....

Its problay just going to be my GM and his cage builder racing, I doubt I'll get to go. If he for sure goes, I'll tell him to look out if your going to be there.

H

HondaTech

2021 Season started today!!

1st in class
6th Overall

Super Pumped to start the season out on top! Same setup as last year with minor suspension changes, sub trans work and turbo refresh.

Shout to @JacksonRacing for helping us put this Talon on top of the box!!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
2021 Season started today!!

1st in class
6th Overall

Super Pumped to start the season out on top! Same setup as last year with minor suspension changes, sub trans work and turbo refresh.

Shout to @JacksonRacing for helping us put this Talon on top of the box!!
Hell ya man, happy for you guys!!!

I'm taking my car to the track for the first time tomorrow to get some seat time in before the first race of the season next Saturday. I'm super fawkin excited!!!!

20210227 202155

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!