Talon jasond's Talon 1000R

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I picked up my R on Saturday morning and immediately got a few accessories on it. I'll put a complete list in this post and update as I go. I also have a YouTube channel and will be uploading videos after I edit them. Link is in my signature.

Initial thoughts: Quality/fit/finish is top notch. I'm coming from a 2017 RZR XP1K and where I'm used to self-tapping screws there's a nut and bolt with a rubber isolating washer to keep things quiet. In the 20ish backroad miles I rode I'll say the power is on par with my XP1K, but MUCH torque-ier (not a bad thing). With this being a Honda, I'm hoping/expecting to not have to fool with the repetitive maintenance items that require way too frequent of attention with RZRs (wheel bearings, bushings, u-joints, carrier bearing). I did remove the annoying door nets within 5 minutes of getting it home.

Accessory List:
  • Honda OEM Lower Door Inserts
  • Honda OEM Lower Door Storage Bags
  • Honda OEM Trailing Arm Guards (I thought these were a must with the way the trailing arm mounts to the bottom of the knuckle to try and save the powder/arm)
  • EMP Full Front Vented Windshield
  • EMP Rear Vented Windshield
  • PRP SB4.2 Harnesses and HondaSXS seatbelt bypass
  • Waterproof Fuse Relay Box for all electrical accessories
  • Rockblockz Fender Flares
  • 41" Light Bar with RokBlokz light bar mounts
  • JL Audio MX600.3 amp, Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 Head Unit with PBR Products mounting plate, Rockville 8" tower speakers, and JL Audio 10" subwoofer in custom enclosure in bed.
  • AED Off-Road Fabrication Accessory/Tower Speaker Cage Bar
  • TYT-8600 Two Way Radio (transplanting from XP1K)
  • 32" Maxxis Carnivores on System 3 SB-4 Beadlocks (6+1 offset with 1.5" SATV spacers in the rear to measure 71.5" front and rear)
  • 30" Dual Animated Booger Whips
  • Dual LED reverse light pods
  • Rock Lights
  • 4500 lb SuperATV Winch
  • Honda OEM Front & Rear Bumpers
  • L&W Fab Winch Mount
  • L&W Fab High Clearance Billet Radius Rods
  • L&W Fab High Clearance Lower A-arms
  • L&W Fab Billet tie rods
  • AED Off-Road Fabrication Tree Kickers
  • CA Technologies Shift Gate
  • 6-switch panel for lower cubby hole from Rick Bentley Customs
  • Honda OEM Rear Cargo Bag
  • Factory UTV 3/8" Skid Plate
  • PRP GT3 Suspension Seats
  • JEI Off-Road Bed Extender
  • Honda OEM Upper Canvas Doors/Enclosure
  • Inferno Heater from UPI
  • Lifetime Trail Maps with Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2 (I use RAM mounts)
  • HondaSxS Reverse Light trigger harness with 7" rear LED light bar
  • Odyssey PC925L Secondary Battery with True UTV-SBI-CK isolator kit

IMG 0219 IMG 0220 IMG 0221 IMG 0222 IMG 0223 IMG 0224 IMG 0225 IMG 0226 IMG 0227 IMG 0228 IMG 0267 IMG 0268 IMG 0269 IMG 0271 IMG 0272

Last edited:
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Looks great and welcome to the "Ride Red" side.

Check out the Switchpros wiring setup myself and 99svt used on our talons. Super easy and versatile. Eliminates all the relays fuses, etc. and still has all the protection. I was hesitant myself but very happy I spent the extra for it. https://amzn.to/2IsDi1n

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks great and welcome to the "Ride Red" side.

Check out the Switchpros wiring setup myself and 99svt used on our talons. Super easy and versatile. Eliminates all the relays fuses, etc. and still has all the protection. I was hesitant myself but very happy I spent the extra for it. https://amzn.to/2IsDi1n

Thank you.

I scoped out the Switchpros setup when I was reading through your thread and didn't go for it due to the cost. It certainly looks like a nice piece, but I already have the WFRB setup so couldn't justify the cost.

Here's a link to the product I'm using, but I'm not sure if the guy is back in production yet or not because I think it's a side business of his: Waterproof Fuse Relay Box

There are also similar products on eBay if he's not producing them right now: waterproof fuse relay box | eBay

P

Paul419

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

3. Talon R LV
I passed you Saturday morning and was wondering where the unit come from and now I see you got it from Westside. I'm impatiently waiting for mine to come in at Newburgh. Good looking machine.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I passed you Saturday morning and was wondering where the unit come from and now I see you got it from Westside. I'm impatiently waiting for mine to come in at Newburgh. Good looking machine.

Thanks. It's good to see somebody local on here and hopefully yours comes in sooner than later.

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
Looking good! Be interesting to hear your ride thoughts when you get more time on it. Those lower doors look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lundy

lundy

L&W FAB
Apr 30, 2019
bremen ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
I picked up my R on Saturday morning and immediately got a few accessories on it. I'll put a complete list in this post and update as I go. I also have a YouTube channel and will be uploading videos after I edit them. Link is in my signature.

Initial thoughts: Quality/fit/finish is top notch. I'm coming from a 2017 RZR XP1K and where I'm used to self-tapping screws there's a nut and bolt with a rubber isolating washer to keep things quiet. In the 20ish backroad miles I rode I'll say the power is on par with my XP1K, but MUCH torque-ier (not a bad thing). With this being a Honda, I'm hoping/expecting to not have to fool with the repetitive maintenance items that require way too frequent of attention with RZRs (wheel bearings, bushings, u-joints, carrier bearing). I did remove the annoying door nets within 5 minutes of getting it home.

Accessory List:
  • Honda OEM Lower Door Inserts
  • Honda OEM Trailing Arm Guards (I thought these were a must with the way the trailing arm mounts to the bottom of the knuckle to try and save the powder/arm)
  • SuperATV Half Windshield (switching to flip-out)
  • SuperATV Flip-Out Windshield
  • PRP SB4.2 Harnesses and HondaSXS seatbelt bypass
  • Waterproof Fuse Relay Box for all electrical accessories
  • Fender Flares (will require a small amount of modification, but they're XP1K flares)
  • 37" Light Bar
  • Rockin' Radios Quad Pod overhead audio system (transplanting from my XP1K and will show how I do this when finished)
  • TYT-8600 Two Way Radio (transplanting from XP1K)
  • 14" Raceline Ryno Wheels and 29" Maxxis Bighorns
  • 30" Dual Animated Booger Whips
Coming Soon:
  • 4500 lb Winch
  • L&W Fab or KFI winch mount (would prefer a winch bumper)
  • L&W Fab High Clearance Billet Radius Rods
  • L&W Fab High Clearance Lower A-arms
  • Front/Rear bumpers

View attachment 125887View attachment 125888 View attachment 125889 View attachment 125890 View attachment 125891 View attachment 125892 View attachment 125893 View attachment 125894 View attachment 125895 View attachment 125896 View attachment 125897 View attachment 125898 View attachment 125899 View attachment 125900 View attachment 125901
nice ride, did you by chance go to windrock this past weekend?

Reactions: Plumber32
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I didn't. I think my first ride with it will be Memorial Day Weekend at Brimstone for WKE 2019.

I'm keeping it clean while I run wiring and install accessories and then I'll cruise backroads for 100 miles to get the first service done for Brimstone.

Reactions: Paul419
lundy

lundy

L&W FAB
Apr 30, 2019
bremen ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
I didn't. I think my first ride with it will be Memorial Day Weekend at Brimstone for WKE 2019.

I'm keeping it clean while I run wiring and install accessories and then I'll cruise backroads for 100 miles to get the first service done for Brimstone.

ok cool, im actually with L&W FAB and im the one that owns the green talon we are building! we will actually be at brimstone that weekend as a vendor with all the parts you'll need!

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
ok cool, im actually with L&W FAB and im the one that owns the green talon we are building! we will actually be at brimstone that weekend as a vendor with all the parts you'll need!

Great to hear - I'll drop by the booth.

Reactions: Mopower58
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Video #1 is up on my YouTube channel for the introductory video. I’ll be adding several more in the coming weeks for various accessories.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Video #2 is up for the trailing arm guards:

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Video #3 is up for the Lower Door Panels:

P

Paul419

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

3. Talon R LV
You get all the bugs worked out of the installation process and I will ride over at the end of the month and you can do it all over again LOL

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I continued the wiring marathon this past weekend and got the two-way radio, reverse pod lights, rock lights, SATV flip-out windshield, and wheels/tires added.

I'm just shy of 73" wide with 5+2 offset wheels (undecided on how I'll like the width until I get trail time) and the 14" wheels do clear. I'm going to keep an eye on the wheels to see how well they clean out mud/rocks so I don't wind up with a "machined" wheel.IMG 0339 IMG 0340 IMG 0341 IMG 0343 IMG 0344 IMG 0345

P

Paul419

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

3. Talon R LV
Did you find a connections for the reverse light? Do you have it so it comes on when you put it in reverse? What rock lights are you running?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did you find a connections for the reverse light? Do you have it so it comes on when you put it in reverse? What rock lights are you running?

No, I ran power from up front using my waterproof fuse relay box. I’m going to have an entire video on my wiring setup probably this week, but here’s a link to it if you’re curious what it is:

Waterproof Fuse Relay Box

I have it on a dash switch so it’s a manual on/off setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ989
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!