Jeep shifter boot mod for the Talon

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Not my idea but after seeing a few others do this I decided to give it a whirl. Used a Jeep CJ5/7 transfer case shifter boot to mitigate the heat coming in thru the shifter. Also insulated the cup holders while I had the console out. Riding this weekend in 105 degree heat indexes so will put the mods to the test and report back.

EDIT: I added the link to the DEI heat control kit video on page 2 of this thread.

Link to the shifter boot on Ebay: SINGLE LEVER DANA 20 TRANSFERCASE SHIFT BOOT FOR JEEP CJ5 & CJ7 1976-79 | eBay

Link to the sound deadening on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Deadening-Automotive-Insulation-Dampening/dp/B07QY1X35P/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Noico+80+mil+5+sqft+Car+Sound+Deadening+Mat,+Butyl+Automotive+Sound+Deadener,+Audio+Noise+Insulation+and+Dampening&qid=1623291095&s=automotive&sr=1-3

51238603309 02b347fc7c b

DO NOT CUT THE BOOT LIKE I DID IN THIS PICTURE AND IN THE VIDEO!!! CUT ONLY THE VERY TOP FLANGE OFF THE BOOT!!! THIS WILL ALLOW MORE ROOM FOR THE THROW OF THE SHIFTER.

51238603264 cd2d1eeb63 b

51237832306 b25dcf81a4 b

51238603134 190b9fb367 b

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Not my idea but after seeing a few others do this I decided to give it a whirl. Used a Jeep CJ5/7 transfer case shifter boot to mitigate the heat coming in thru the shifter. Also insulated the cup holders while I had the console out. Riding this weekend in 105 degree heat indexes so will put the mods to the test and report back.

Link to the shifter boot on Ebay: SINGLE LEVER DANA 20 TRANSFERCASE SHIFT BOOT FOR JEEP CJ5 & CJ7 1976-79 | eBay

Link to the sound deadening on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Deadening-Automotive-Insulation-Dampening/dp/B07QY1X35P/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Noico+80+mil+5+sqft+Car+Sound+Deadening+Mat,+Butyl+Automotive+Sound+Deadener,+Audio+Noise+Insulation+and+Dampening&qid=1623291095&s=automotive&sr=1-3

View attachment 277715

View attachment 277716

View attachment 277717

View attachment 277718
Terry, that’s awesome...👏
Thank you for sharing. I still don’t know why you (and Paul F for that matter) don’t have Club Contributor Badges.....🤔

Anyway, a few questions. I see the seat heater switches on your console, how does that work?

Where did you get the custom shifter knob?

How is it that your Talon is always so clean??? 😎

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

View attachment 277715

View attachment 277716

View attachment 277717

View attachment 277718
The boot is out of stock FYI.....

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry, that’s awesome...👏
Thank you for sharing. I still don’t know why you (and Paul F for that matter) don’t have Club Contributor Badges.....🤔

Anyway, a few questions. I see the seat heater switches on your console, how does that work?

Where did you get the custom shifter knob?

How is it that your Talon is always so clean??? 😎

Thanks for the kind words.

The seat heaters are wonderful. There are some install pics in my build thread...somewhere... Probably the best $80 I've spent on the Talon.

I found the shifter knob on Ebay. It's a dead on match to the Dragonfire steering wheel.

51237930891 c6d30cba1b b

As far as the clean thing goes, I'm an idiot. lol.... The Talon had sat in my shop caked with dried mud for weeks since our last ride. I spent 2 hours with the pressure washer on Tuesday night and another hour last night before shooting the video. I guess I will never get over the whole show car deal. I just can't stand it to look neglected for very long.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Reactions: Isaiah
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I am glad that you posted this, Terry. I picked up on this from a guy on fakebook. I installed the boot and it pretty much eliminates the hot air coming up around the shift lever. If other actions are not taken to block all of the other air infiltration, the overall effect on cab heat will be minimal. That is where I am right now. Much more to be done. I am waiting to see how the DEI kit works out.

pete_plp

pete_plp

Feb 15, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
@TerryH Thank you very much for posting this mod! I did it and it made a HUGE difference. Its making a night and day when you ride in the >= 85 degrees 😉 I highly recommend it

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
@TerryH Thank you very much for posting this mod! I did it and it made a HUGE difference. Its making a night and day when you ride in the >= 85 degrees 😉 I highly recommend it
Great! I was really surprised how well to worked myself!

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am glad that you posted this, Terry. I picked up on this from a guy on fakebook. I installed the boot and it pretty much eliminates the hot air coming up around the shift lever. If other actions are not taken to block all of the other air infiltration, the overall effect on cab heat will be minimal. That is where I am right now. Much more to be done. I am waiting to see how the DEI kit works out.
Interesting that you should mention the DEI kit. I have it ordered and will be doing an install video and test soon. Looks like it will be a real help. I'm interested in hearing your thought when you install yours.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I did the same thing on my 1000-3 right after I got it a couple of years ago. Used a different boot. The only problem was I had to tear just about the whole front end off the machine to do it. It was well worth the effort though. It made a huge difference.
Shifter boot 2
Shifter boot
Stripped down

Last edited:
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Interesting that you should mention the DEI kit. I have it ordered and will be doing an install video and test soon. Looks like it will be a real help. I'm interested in hearing your thought when you install yours.
Actually, someone else posted that they had the DEI kit ordered, and I was in "wait and see" mode on that. I have not seen any further report, but I might have missed it. Now I have your video and report to look forward to! :) So, I remain in wait and see mode!

We have been riding around Williams AZ yesterday and today. This was planned to be a much longer outing, but they are closing the Kaibab National Forest tomorrow morning due to existing wildfires (the Rafael fire is over 24,000 acres) and the extreme fire danger. Anyway we have ridden in temperatures up to around 90 degrees, and it has been pretty bearable. At this point, I do think that the shift boot helped quite a bit. The tunnel sure does get hot though!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Actually, someone else posted that they had the DEI kit ordered, and I was in "wait and see" mode on that. I have not seen any further report, but I might have missed it. Now I have your video and report to look forward to! :) So, I remain in wait and see mode!

We have been riding around Williams AZ yesterday and today. This was planned to be a much longer outing, but they are closing the Kaibab National Forest tomorrow morning due to existing wildfires (the Rafael fire is over 24,000 acres) and the extreme fire danger. Anyway we have ridden in temperatures up to around 90 degrees, and it has been pretty bearable. At this point, I do think that the shift boot helped quite a bit. The tunnel sure does get hot though!
I had the kit ordered and received it...we have been slammed at work so I have not had time to install it yet. But I can garrentee you @TerryH will do a much better install and review job than I will! 🤓 But after just looking over the product, just unboxing it, I think it will do the job and help with the heat a lot.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
DEI heat control kit installed. No real world test yet but I can't imagine this won't be a major help with cabin heat.

Awesome Terry….Thanks for sharing as always. 😎👍

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Reactions: Squeegee
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I wonder with this kit is the boot even necessary?
The boot keeps the hot air from pouring out the shifter hole but s till a good amount of heat in and around the console. The kit also has a much larger and better piece of insulation for behind the passenger seat.

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!