Junk in the trunk - 2.0 - Trail Storage Systems!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well, Seems I was taking out the daily trash and accidentally deleted this thread.
Its funny as I hardly ever hard delete stuff. But today I did.

SO.
If you posted a picture with an explanation, PLEASE report.

Sorry @seig

----------------
Definition of terms.
taking out = deleting
daily = hourly
trash = @JTW's post

J

JTW

Well, Seems I was taking out the daily trash and accidentally deleted this thread.
Its funny as I hardly ever hard delete stuff. But today I did.

SO.
If you posted a picture with an explanation, PLEASE report.

Sorry @seig

----------------
Definition of terms.
taking out = deleting
daily = hourly
trash = @JTW's post
It’s like you think all I post is useless garbage... WTF??

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Copied from my build thread instead of a rewrite:

I got tired of digging through a massive action packer or spare cooler, I saw these Ridgid boxes at HomeDepot. You can get Milwaukee or DeWalt but I wasn’t paying 2-3 times as much for a big name brand to prove anything. They are relatively cheap $24 for small and $39 for large, water resistant(you can’t submerge them but I haven’t had anything get wet in rain or washing off.)

I have my tools and tire patch/repair kit under the seat in a Fat50, my recovery gear[(3) Blocks, (4)shackles, 50’ winchline, 50’ extension, (3) tree straps, CO2 inflator kit and spare tierods, in drybags in the right rear door(to shift weight to passenger side) and TP in drybag in the left rear door]

I can tie down any combination of the Ridgid boxes with (4) 7”x1/4-20 bolts and two short ratchet straps. In the lower latch point of any of the boxes. I considered other attachment methods but they all had downside and this works just fine.

The cooler is an Ozark Trail 26 it JUST fits, with the tailgate up. I had to pick up a drain on Amazon because it lacks one, but it is tied down to the bed with a single ratchet strap through the built in loops and I can get in it by dropping the tail gate and opening the lid.

I’ve had these for a while and so far I am really happy with how they work. Since I use a hammock tent I don’t have to unload the bed to setup camp. Everything stays tied down and inplace on steep or off camber riding and also when you’re driving much faster and harder than you should. Nothing has ever come loose. They are EASY to get in and out of, no unstrapping or digging. The box on top is latched to the lid of the lower box so you just open the one you need in and the top one(s) move with the lower lid. They are light maybe 1-2lbs a piece maybe 2-3lbs for the medium ones.
2387b441 9c21 4b8f 9e2d 38f2c38623e1 jpeg
89328a2c 9fe1 4fa0 8b2f fad01a2854df jpeg

Be681310 934c 43df bc6c 9e7c86f00b67 jpeg
Clothes and rain gear

F4311b05 ea0a 4009 8712 5adb433c984f jpeg
JetBoil and offbrand coffee/Coffee Press
(dishwasher at the moment)

Fad143a9 c147 4fd2 beb4 60a28cde36f2 jpeg
Empty for easy access for random items for a trip.

F0b645d1 a6e2 4575 bec3 f8cfe8709a67 jpeg
Dehydrated Meals

D8daaa93 86c9 40fa ad9d e48f3a7b1c85 jpeg
First Aide and toiletries.
Waiting on my First Aid pieces to get here.
I’m getting my wife to make me stickers for the first aid box.
(Hose is now in bedside storage with a bilge pump, good for cleaning radiators, Pioneer, or you)

Cbd8b68f e72b 4710 946e fa178ebea04c jpeg
Hammock tent, under quilt, folding camp chair, Thermocell bug repeller
(6) 12v lights on a string, 500’ of 500cord, sleeping bag(removed for picture)

With some coordination there’s enough room for 2 peoples stuff except a second tent/sleeping bag. But I’ve got a drybag I can stick those in.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might consider some bottle water for your first aid kit since you have the room. Clean drinking water or washing/rinsing water could be helpful in a medical situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, I generally keep the coolers fairly full of water anyway so I handn't considered it.

Reactions: seig and sharp
seig

seig

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Copied from my build thread instead of a rewrite:

I got tired of digging through a massive action packer or spare cooler, I saw these Ridgid boxes at HomeDepot. You can get Milwaukee or DeWalt but I wasn’t paying 2-3 times as much for a big name brand to prove anything. They are relatively cheap $24 for small and $39 for large, water resistant(you can’t submerge them but I haven’t had anything get wet in rain or washing off.)

I have my tools and tire patch/repair kit under the seat in a Fat50, my recovery gear[(3) Blocks, (4)shackles, 50’ winchline, 50’ extension, (3) tree straps, CO2 inflator kit and spare tierods, in drybags in the right rear door(to shift weight to passenger side) and TP in drybag in the left rear door]

I can tie down any combination of the Ridgid boxes with (4) 7”x1/4-20 bolts and two short ratchet straps. In the lower latch point of any of the boxes. I considered other attachment methods but they all had downside and this works just fine.

The cooler is an Ozark Trail 26 it JUST fits, with the tailgate up. I had to pick up a drain on Amazon because it lacks one, but it is tied down to the bed with a single ratchet strap through the built in loops and I can get in it by dropping the tail gate and opening the lid.

I’ve had these for a while and so far I am really happy with how they work. Since I use a hammock tent I don’t have to unload the bed to setup camp. Everything stays tied down and inplace on steep or off camber riding and also when you’re driving much faster and harder than you should. Nothing has ever come loose. They are EASY to get in and out of, no unstrapping or digging. The box on top is latched to the lid of the lower box so you just open the one you need in and the top one(s) move with the lower lid. They are light maybe 1-2lbs a piece maybe 2-3lbs for the medium ones.
View attachment 96194
View attachment 96195

View attachment 96196
Clothes and rain gear

View attachment 96197
JetBoil and offbrand coffee/Coffee Press
(dishwasher at the moment)

View attachment 96199
Empty for easy access for random items for a trip.

View attachment 96198
Dehydrated Meals

View attachment 96201
First Aide and toiletries.
Waiting on my First Aid pieces to get here.
I’m getting my wife to make me stickers for the first aid box.
(Hose is now in bedside storage with a bilge pump, good for cleaning radiators, Pioneer, or you)

View attachment 96200
Hammock tent, under quilt, folding camp chair, Thermocell bug repeller
(6) 12v lights on a string, 500’ of 500cord, sleeping bag(removed for picture)

With some coordination there’s enough room for 2 peoples stuff except a second tent/sleeping bag. But I’ve got a drybag I can stick those in.
Now THAT'S a well prepared rig!! Great write up ohanacreek, thank you very much for that. Wow, i need to seriously rethink my loadout now. Thanks again.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Back on track... I also did the Rigid tool boxes after reading Ohanacreeks thread.

I also bought the zippered pouches from Home Depot for wrenches. Labled one for metric and one for standard. I hate digging through a jumbled tool box for wrenches. The pouches make it real easy to keep them together and segragated. We don't want no standards and metrics mixing...

J

JTW

Back on track... I also did the Rigid tool boxes after reading Ohanacreeks thread.

I also bought the zippered pouches from Home Depot for wrenches. Labled one for metric and one for standard. I hate digging through a jumbled tool box for wrenches. The pouches make it real easy to keep them together and segragated. We don't want no standards and metrics mixing...
I did the same with these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077Z7X62D?tag=sxsweb24-20

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Can you show me the pouches you got. I need one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you show me the pouches you got. I need one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Can't find the link on Home Depot parking right now, but they are like the ones JTW posted from Amazon except all black.

Reactions: sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
i got the ridgid boxes as well after the initial thread. Replaced a big pelican case and love them. so much easier to get in and out of. Put some eye bolts in mine to use to tie down and works well.

seig

seig

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i got the ridgid boxes as well after the initial thread. Replaced a big pelican case and love them. so much easier to get in and out of. Put some eye bolts in mine to use to tie down and works well.
I ordered mine last night, I totally blame JTW and ohanacreek! lol $148 + tax and free shipping for two large, two small and a cheap set of ratchet straps from Home Depot.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!