Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Long story short. Just got my 2020 P1000-3 from the local dealer. Had the heater, windshield, rear panal, soft half door, wiper system, winch, moose plow installed. All Honda parts. Primary purpose for the purchase was to plow snow here on the tundra. The parts look like afterthoughts. And they don't fit worth crap. There are gaps of of an inch or more around the sides of the doors, the heater is a joke, and the machine seems to struggle just to start. Dealer will refund on trade total purchase price on a new 2020 CanAm Defender Limited. I haven't seen the new defender, but from the videos it seems to be a much more complete package than the Pioneer. I bought the Honda for the transmission, but will live with a belt system if the rest of the machine is more integrated than the slapped together system offered by Honda. So convince me that I should keep the pioneer rather than trade for the Can Am. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Plumber32
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d say buy it apparently your not happy with Honda so learn the hard way
Thanks for your reply. I have had Honda machines for the past 20 years and have had great experiences with them. That is why my expectations are high for p1000. If I am missing something here please educate me as that is the reason I posted my concerns.

Reactions: Plumber32
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did I read that right...dealer will refund total purchase price? If so...considering that you're clearly not happy, I'd rip his arm off.
Honda cab set ups are clearly a step or 2 behind Polaris and even can am. Even the most jaded Honda fanboy will admit that...though it sounds like yours could have been installed poorly.

The Defender is really nice. REALLY nice. I'm confess I'm tempted by them. They have huge clutches and belts, and an electronic belt protection system that b****es at you when you do silly things that might hurt the belt...but the whole "belt problem" thing is completely overhyped anyway.

You could always let the dealer try and install the stuff properly, which it doesn't sound like happened the 1st time.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Long story short. Just got my 2020 P1000-3 from the local dealer. Had the heater, windshield, rear panal, soft half door, wiper system, winch, moose plow installed. All Honda parts. Primary purpose for the purchase was to plow snow here on the tundra. The parts look like afterthoughts. And they don't fit worth crap. There are gaps of of an inch or more around the sides of the doors, the heater is a joke, and the machine seems to struggle just to start. Dealer will refund on trade total purchase price on a new 2020 CanAm Defender Limited. I haven't seen the new defender, but from the videos it seems to be a much more complete package than the Pioneer. I bought the Honda for the transmission, but will live with a belt system if the rest of the machine is more integrated than the slapped together system offered by Honda. So convince me that I should keep the pioneer rather than trade for the Can Am. Thanks in advance.
I like our P5 but I don't have a full enclosure. I have seen some dealer installed on the lot that I would be embarrassed to set out on the lot, I would take it back and let them lick there calf over and see if your satisfied?

Reactions: 0860silverado
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah, I was pretty shocked by his offer also. And frankly waiting for the other shoe to drop. The fit was so poor the service manager actually had me stop in before they delivered it and I told them to make it right because this was unacceptable. And when it was delivered it was still far from correct. The delivery guy agreed the total package seemed like an afterthought. Disappointing at best.

C

chucky004

May 11, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I have had Honda machines for the past 20 years and have had great experiences with them. That is why my expectations are high for p1000. If I am missing something here please educate me as that is the reason I posted my concerns.
Honda’s have always cranked slow starting. Mine has sat in the shed since the end of sept, and we have already had -15 weather and it started right up yesterday. As far as the fitting of the cab pieces sometimes you have to fine tune and work out issues. One thing is for sure if you’re going to be plowing a lot you can’t beat Honda transmissions, in any of the pioneers,

Reactions: Tundra20
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, I was pretty shocked by his offer also. And frankly waiting for the other shoe to drop. The fit was so poor the service manager actually had me stop in before they delivered it and I told them to make it right because this was unacceptable. And when it was delivered it was still far from correct. The delivery guy agreed the total package seemed like an afterthought. Disappointing at best.
That's one of the reasons this site is so good, there's all kids of reviews here on the best of the best, might check out full enclosures here and see what everyone recommends and have the dealer get that enclosure?

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys. My last Rubicon was horribly cold blooded. I fact when it got colder than 10 degrees farenheit I had to leave a heater blow on the bloody thing so it would start and shift. Thus my concern about the weak starting in this P1000. Granted it always started but then it's only 35 degrees in the garage. The other option I have considered is getting the full hard doors, but that is rather spendy. I do have concerns about the Honda heater keeping the cab comfortable in 0 degrees and lower. I got this machine as a snow removal tool. Period. I have my jeeps for playing off road and the Pioneer will mostly sit for the summer months. And besides I hate winter with a passion!!

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks like you’ve been a member and Trolling on here since September. IMO you’ve had some time to check out enough mods and what works and what doesn’t as well as most of the “Genuine” Honda accessories are less to be desired. Or you could have asked before you just thought all was ok and just purchase, then with your sheer disappointment decide to Hate the machine on here where u could have got the heads up on what to get and for accessories before hand. Sorry to be so harsh, but that’s what I’m seeing here. The machine as a whole is a great machine. A lot of us on here have a butt load of good miles on them. My suggestion would be to start by asking your dealer to take back and refund your accessories purchase (not the heater, your stuck there) and do some research on here on what to by to better suite your needs rather than trading on a commander hot box.
All you have to do is ask, and will be happy to tell you what works.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was going to suggest that aftermarket stuff might be better.

As for the heater: if it's just not putting out hot air, i wonder if the air was burped out completely. These things (and sxs's in general) are notoriously difficult to get all the air out of the cooling system.

Reactions: Plumber32 and Savoy
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Um, that's kind of why I started this thread. Troll, hmmm. Ok. Whatever. So what do you suggest for plowing and staying warm? Obviously I thought that OEM parts would offer better fitment and integration than a combination of aftermarket items. Sorry if I caused any butthurt as that clearly was not my intention. I guess I bought the P1000 as I considered it superior to other brands. And I still feel the Honda drive train to be better in concept than other machines. That said my concerns are still genuine and disturbing. Take that for what you will.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Defender is really nice, their cabs and accessories are awsome, honda factory soft cab is too expensive for what it is. Theres options for better cab systems out there. And to be frank, I'll take a cvt for plowing over the 6 speed, I plow with my pioneer and a Yamaha wolverine. I'd take him up on his offer for strictly plowing. But if you want to build a machine for cruising trails and the utmost reliability, we go for days straight, then keep the pioneer and make it better on your own if you're handy. You won't regret it.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I too feel your disappointment on the Genuine Honda accessories. They do seem like afterthoughts, (afterthoughts is almost too kind of a word...thoughtless, untested, ill fitting, ugly, overpriced slap-ons is more accurate). I thought the same when moving "up" from a Polaris Ranger. But I will say on a positive note, My Polaris driveline felt tired and slackey after 7,500 miles whereas my P1K feels and sounds and performs like new with 9,000 miles. In summary... a Can-Am or Polaris will be far more refined, comfortable, smoother riding, better performing than a Honda when new and for a couple years after, but I'm convinced that my Honda will still be desirable to repair/fix an issue or two that may come up when it's 20 years old whereas the others will be just too worn out to be worth the time, money and hassle. If you really are only using your machine to plow snow, you may very well be better off with a Pol or Can-Am. Belt problems are a thing of the past and they'll be better suited to your needs. Good luck and keep us posted.

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for your reply. As I said previously this machine is a snow removal tool nothing more. I am somewhat between a rock and a hard spot as even if the dealer stands by his word and does a trade for the CanAm there maybe a significant time lapse between taking the Pioneer back and having the CanAm in the garage. And winter is here meaning a foot of white crap is possible at any time. Dealer is supposed to get back with me tomorrow so we shall see. I still think on paper the Pioneer drive train is vastly superior than the belts but the other issues have me perplexed at best. I ponder if just keeping the P1000 and biting the bullet for total hard doors would be an answer. I do know the Can Am ATV 800 I had never whimpered in the 150 miles of back and forth plowing it did. I will keep the board informed as I continue to "Troll" this forum. Thanks again.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree with (most) of what has been said above.

IMO the other brands seem to have much nicer "creature comforts".

If you aren't going to beat on a machine, I'd consider the swap- esp with "full retail" trade in.

It sounds like your dealer is on the up and up with that offer. If he knows that you wanna plow with it and thinks that the CanAm will be a winner for you, I'd give it a shot!

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for your reply. As I said previously this machine is a snow removal tool nothing more. I am somewhat between a rock and a hard spot as even if the dealer stands by his word and does a trade for the CanAm there maybe a significant time lapse between taking the Pioneer back and having the CanAm in the garage. And winter is here meaning a foot of white crap is possible at any time. Dealer is supposed to get back with me tomorrow so we shall see. I still think on paper the Pioneer drive train is vastly superior than the belts but the other issues have me perplexed at best. I ponder if just keeping the P1000 and biting the bullet for total hard doors would be an answer. I do know the Can Am ATV 800 I had never whimpered in the 150 miles of back and forth plowing it did. I will keep the board informed as I continue to "Troll" this forum. Thanks again.
One thing to consider is that the P-1000 has a dual clutch transmission as opposed to a P-700 which has a genuine automotive-style torque converter (a fact that upon discovery disappointed me greatly. I foolishly assumed that a 1000 was just a bigger 700). I've never plowed snow (south Louisiana) but I imagine it's a constant heavy load on a driveline and P-1000s are geared relatively high. Prolonged slow, heavy load on those clutches may lead to slipping and premature failure. A P-700 or belt drive machine in low range may suit you better. FWIW...If I were in your snow shoes, I'd trade for the Can-Am or a Polaris because your type of use and of all the issues you mentioned with the cab and accessories etc.

Reactions: dnjones161
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Appreciate all the input. Just hobbled out (recovering from total hip replacement) to the other garage to gaze upon my P1000. I started it, making sure the fuel pumps were primed...it started but not convincingly. Left it idle for a bit. Turned it off and restarted and it popped right off like a fuel injected machine should do. Half doors didn't heal themselves unfortunately. Looking from one side of the machine to the other one can see an easy inch plus of of daylight around the lower hard doors. WTF? Serious question, are they all like that? Does anyone have the full hard doors by Honda. If so do they seal all the way around or do they also have inch gap fitment? I am leery of the offer made by the dealer...I mean they are a dealer. Money is their primary directive. So I will wait to hear tomorrow. Then crap gets serious. Thank you for your collective knowledge.

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh and yes I could put a plow set up on my jeep wrangler for way cheaper than just the accessories bill, but it is to large of a unit to deal with plowing around the garages and such. That's the reason I didn't go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!