P1000 K & N air filters!!!

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd pick up a couple hand holds or something too and get free shipping if your order is over $99!

Reactions: Windrock1000
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The stock filter does a great job of filtering but they do get dirty quick. I wish K&N would have made a prefilter wrap for this new Pioneer filter

Reactions: Remington
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m not comfortable using only a KN filter. It may be perfectly fine. I would like to know the static pressure behind the filter though. A smaller filter would increase the vacuum. Maybe the filter for our application is sized generously.

It would be like my old ‘97 Ford Ranger. They used the same filter for the 2.3, 3.0, and the 4.0. Obviously the 4.0 would pull harder on the filter and may pull dirt through a KN. I used a KN on my 2.3 for 170k and I’ve got the pics of the cylinder walls with cross hatch marks to show it never let dirt in that caused wear at close to 200k.

I would use the filter set up that @JTW uses though.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not comfortable using only a KN filter. It may be perfectly fine. I would like to know the static pressure behind the filter though. A smaller filter would increase the vacuum. Maybe the filter for our application is sized generously.

It would be like my old ‘97 Ford Ranger. They used the same filter for the 2.3, 3.0, and the 4.0. Obviously the 4.0 would pull harder on the filter and may pull dirt through a KN. I used a KN on my 2.3 for 170k and I’ve got the pics of the cylinder walls with cross hatch marks to show it never let dirt in that caused wear at close to 200k.

This will be my new setup....uni prefilter and stock airbox filter.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This will be my new setup....uni prefilter and stock airbox filter.
View attachment 57555

I like those set ups. Pre-filter makes a lot of sense to save the stock filter.

Still think it would be wise to check the stock airbox to make sure it is sealed good. Also check all the piping occasionally.

J

JTW

I like those set ups. Pre-filter makes a lot of sense to save the stock filter.

Still think it would be wise to check the stock airbox to make sure it is sealed good. Also check all the piping occasionally.
Yup.. mine was tight at the motor dad’s was not. Dads was tight in the wheel well, mine was not. You and CP saved us on both with those suggestions.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
J

JTW

Dad runs his all the time.. I switch between risers. My concern with the filter is rain.. but I’m using the filter when it’s dry as hell so that’s not really an issue with the clamp setup, just twist and swap. 60 seconds between setups.

Reactions: pct and knuckledeep
strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was told that the K&N air filter doesn't meet Honda specs
What? Cause they like em slow and de-tuned... hahaha I’m trying anything to get more Power though this big girl. Maybe it doesn’t I’ve t anything and maybe it’s bad for it! Who knows, all I know is everything I have ever owned has had a K&N and it has always proved itself worth the $. I just went on a quick ride and I will say it made a difference.! But I also put a power commander V on it today too.

Reactions: Kolton
J

JTW

What? Cause they like em slow and de-tuned... hahaha I’m trying anything to get more Power though this big girl. Maybe it doesn’t I’ve t anything and maybe it’s bad for it! Who knows, all I know is everything I have ever owned has had a K&N and it has always proved itself worth the $. I just went on a quick ride and I will say it made a difference.! But I also put a power commander V on it today too.
More air volume in means more particles too.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More air volume in means more particles too.

That's not true 100%. You can increase air flow by increasing filter surface area, which K&N advertises as their claim to fame. Now there's also a chance that you can also reduce restriction by increasing the particulate sized allowed through the filter which could be some of the performance gain found in a K&N filter. In my opinion the design of a k&n filter is so-so for filtration but it's a lot less prone to failure than a paper filter. A K&N filter can get wet without degradation and they tend to maintain performance even when very dirty. I'd like to see a prefilter for this or ideally I'd like to see a foam/oil filter like UNI makes for a Pioneer.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Finally they make a K&N air filter for the pioneer! I just ordered one, a Power Commander V, and Power Commander Auto-tune. Game on B##### 's

$700 + for 3 HP (MAYBE) have fun. I have seen the power commander crap out on a P1K that all but left him stranded in a bad way.

P.T. Barnum said it best.

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$777.78 actually. And trust me when I say I got more than 3 hp. (It's not like its hooked up to a computer, oh wait yeah it is, and yeah I know how to tune a wide range of machines on a dyno chart being I have a dyno equipped in my shop that we build and test SuperStar Dragsters) But thanks for your input and speculation! This is somewhat of a surprise how many people are kinda against it all, but i am really glad to get honest answers cause I don't know, only time will tell. Honestly, if anyone needs a custom map for your pioneer let me know and we can go about making you one or I can show you how to make your own. Cause that's what forum friends do, not put you down. Oh well brush em off and cruise past them. I have a dream. . .-MLK

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
$777.78 actually. And trust me when I say I got more than 3 hp. (It's not like its hooked up to a computer, oh wait yeah it is, and yeah I know how to tune a wide range of machines on a dyno chart being I have a dyno equipped in my shop that we build and test SuperStar Dragsters) But thanks for your input and speculation! This is somewhat of a surprise how many people are kinda against it all, but i am really glad to get honest answers cause I don't know, only time will tell. Honestly, if anyone needs a custom map for your pioneer let me know and we can go about making you one or I can show you how to make your own. Cause that's what forum friends do, not put you down. Oh well brush em off and cruise past them. I have a dream. . .-MLK
Friend I'm not putting anybody down. Just seems to me souping up the family Sedan is a little misplaced of capital that's all , she moves pretty good for a big girl. Suspension holds back what OEM power provides. Unless you bought an off road machine to ride smooth roads.

Before & After charts of the Power Commander being apply will be interesting to see off a dyno .

Reactions: pct and strongbuilt
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Cool. What dyno? Post some photo's of the dragsters.

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No worries man, Hey we all have our things, mine isn't easy to come by and I'm sure your wasn't either. I take pride in what I can do and work diligently on it and with it, I will keep my ear out for all that need anything ever. I Wish You members the absolute best. Hakuna Matata one might say!:D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!