P1000 Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - 2016 through 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000 Only

K

kypioneer

Oct 11, 2016
Liberty ,Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did something weird because of that price over the 700 unit. I'll try to find it shortly. If someone can beat me me to the punch?
Ok thanks if I can't find plug I may just tap into wire or cut off plug and use butt connectors

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
On my 700 I ordered just the plug/harness. I've had two 1000's and if I remember right I wound up accidentally ordering that part number and then ordering up the alarm and cut the harness. On my current one I simply cut the wires and went to a relay from there and I think that's why I did it was the cost again. I definitely like things to plug in but i skipped that on this one just didn't remember doing that but I finally looked and that's where I went

K

kypioneer

Oct 11, 2016
Liberty ,Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
08V70-HL5-A00, it's the back up alarm and you just splice into the wire or cut the alarm off and use the wire
Ok thanks guys ! I thought about buying alarm and doing that , I like plug and play also , but for the cost may just cut and use some good butt connectors , thanks for the info

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok thanks guys ! I thought about buying alarm and doing that , I like plug and play also , but for the cost may just cut and use some good butt connectors , thanks for the info

Go up to napa and pick up a plug for both sides there. I got a bunch and they are like 3$. I know it's not factory but still an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone had any issues with this? I wired my winch in the past weekend and tapped into the white with black stripe, winch wouldn't worked. started to trace some wires out and my white with black stripe wires go right to the fuse labeled starter, its like the 2nd or 3 fuse I cant remember now. 2016 pioneer 1000. Just thought its was weird.

M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used this info to wire up my backup lights. I chose to have them come on when in reverse, regardless if the headlights are on or not as long as the ignition is on. I was able to simply use the two wires as hot and ground, and ran them to the lights. Easy peezey.
Thanks HONDASXS, your my hero!

Stupid q. In your setup you just ran wires directly to the backup lights without adding an additional relay or fuse ...Correct? Because I assume the backup alarm wires are already wired into the fuse and relay.

K

kypioneer

Oct 11, 2016
Liberty ,Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stupid q. In your setup you just ran wires directly to the backup lights without adding an additional relay or fuse ...Correct? Because I assume the backup alarm wires are already wired into the fuse and relay.
Yes the way I understand already protected , I just connected wires no extra fuses

Reactions: Cal
M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am wiring back up lights with an extra switch to turn on whenever not in reverse. I tried tonight and failed. I tried a 3 way switch and a on-off-on switch with a relay and got stumped. So maybe if I asked one question a night I can have this done by this weekend.
The reverse wires have a black n white wire and a solid grey wire.
Where do these 2 wires go?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The White with black strip is key on positive. It joins the 15A accessory fuse. You can pull power from this for whatever you need while the key is on.
The GRAY wire however, is a switched ground. It goes to the gear position switch. It is ONLY grounded when in reverse.

You method is going to be tricky. I do not recommend grounding the gray wire outside its current circuit. If you do, it could send false single to the computer saying "REVERSE" when in fact it is not. I have not tested to see if it does or not but I think it will.

Oh... Try this, think backwards. Use the ON/OFF/ON in reverse.
Point 1 - IN - gray wire from plug.
Point 2 - OUT - To light negative.
Point 3 - IN - To frame ground.
Light positive wire connects to the white wire with black stripe.

Let me know what you get.

Reactions: Trueblood85
pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The White with black strip is key on positive. It joins the 15A accessory fuse. You can pull power from this for whatever you need while the key is on.
The GRAY wire however, is a switched ground. It goes to the gear position switch. It is ONLY grounded when in reverse.

You method is going to be tricky. I do not recommend grounding the gray wire outside its current circuit. If you do, it could send false single to the computer saying "REVERSE" when in fact it is not. I have not tested to see if it does or not but I think it will.

If you ground the gray wire, the computer will throw a code indicating a stray ground issue. I forget the blink code, but I tried this and got the fault code.

Reactions: Hondasxs
pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you ground the gray wire, the computer will throw a code indicating a stray ground issue. I forget the blink code, but I tried this and got the fault code.
If you really want to do this, I'm pretty sure you can overcome the fault code by installing a diode in the ground circuit.

Reactions: 1BadDart
M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You are exactly right. I light tested the grey and black/white wires. Both light up the tester with key power on. In reverse only the black/white wire keeps the light tester on. So this completes the circuit and allows the backup lights to come on.

Also - it does throw a check engine code when i tried last night.

Tonight, i will try your thinking backwards method. Thanks for the help

M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Are you saying the method below will cause engine codes?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Are you saying the method below will cause engine codes?

It shouldn't. As the gray wire will not complete a circuit until it is in reverse.

M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tonight i will try the this method

If that doesn't work, the electrician at the supply store said a on-off-on DPDT (six prongs) switch will work. So i bought one and will try it 2nd. Hopefully one will work and I'll document accordingly for all of us electrically handicapped people.

M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tonight i will try the this method

If that doesn't work, the electrician at the supply store said a on-off-on DPDT (six prongs) switch will work. So i bought one and will try it 2nd. Hopefully one will work and I'll document accordingly for all of us electrically handicapped people.

Method 1 works! Thanks for the help!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!