P1000 Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - 2016 through 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000 Only

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There is a wire harness you can buy from Honda. Its like $10. I got mine from the dealer.
Are you talking about the one that plugs in under the dash that provides 4 additional keyed power circuits? If so, I’ve already got that installed and used. I was asking springer about the back up alarm plug that he tapped.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know what wire is the "lights on" power for the 1000-5 LE?

Under hood directly over steering column running along plastic.

Wire comes from headlight switch. Should also be the White/Black for low beams. Not near my machine at moment or Id take a picture. I don't think this changes for the LE

BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Ohanacreek.

Montecresto:
Are you talking about the one that plugs in under the dash that provides 4 additional keyed power circuits? If so, I’ve already got that installed and used. I was asking springer about the back up alarm plug that he tapped.

No its this one...

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Under hood directly over steering column running along plastic.

Wire comes from headlight switch. Should also be the White/Black for low beams. Not near my machine at moment or Id take a picture. I don't think this changes for the LE

If I recall correctly. There are minor little differences between deluxe and LE on the headlight switches.

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry, just saw your question today. Looks like yoh are all set
No worries, I’m glad to know this plug and play option for reverse activated rear LED’s is available. Thanks Springer. Btw, before I order it, will it work with all Pioneer 1000’s, 2016-2018, both 3 and 5 seaters???

Last edited:
BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This was for hooking up your reverse lights when the machine was in reverse as well as when you wanted to turn them on manually. I tried messaging him earlier this week, and he hasn't replied, might just not be active. I am hoping someone else could chime in. I am a visual person so a diagram would really help me understand.

Quoted from "TheBob" from page 2:
"Ok, lights are finished. For the reverse lights, I wanted to be able to have the back up lights come on ONLY if the headlights were on and the unit was in reverse, OR, if I manually switched them on to use as work lights while loading a trailer, etc. So I used the back up alarm wiring harness, tapped into the green wire to ground the 30 amp relay when the buggy is put into reverse, that wire goes to terminal 86 on the relay. Terminal 85 on the relay goes to a tap into the brown wire noted above, only hot when the headlights are on. Terminal 87 goes to an un-switched output on my Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block. Terminal 30 goes to the back up lights. So, if I am in "stealth mode" (no headlights), if I reverse no lights come on. If I have headlights on, and go to reverse, the backup lights light up.
To accomplish the manual override, I wired the switch on the dash to pull power from the fuse block (an un-switched, always hot terminal, since I want to be able to use the back up lights as work lights without the key being on), and ran the wire from the switch to the wire coming from terminal 30, between the relay and the back up lights. (BTW, the back up lights are grounded directly to the frame). So pushing the dash switch turns the back up lights on as work lights.

Seems like it's going to work. If I keep leaving the work lights on and running the battery down when parking the buggy, I will move the feed wire to a switched outlet on the PC-8. But I doubt I do that, I should only need the lights when it's dark....

And I can't say enough good about Eastern Beaver and the PC-8. I will try to post up pics later, after I clean up the rat's nest of wires, but the PC-8 is ultra reliable (used it on two different cycles going to Alaska) and the perfect size to fit in the little hole next to the air pre-filter."

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram? His connection to the relay seems different than what the Relay diagrams show, I am thinking that is because it is wired with the ground trigger instead of the a positive trigger? The switch I am using is this one. I am just not sure what wire needs to connect to the switch in what place. Thanks, I appreciate any help you can provide.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry, just saw your question today. Looks like yoh are all set
Still needing to know that this works on the 2016 1000-3? And just to be clear, the plug you linked can be used to direct power to a back up light that lights when you go into reverse, anytime, whether or not headlights are on....correct?

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Still needing to know that this works on the 2016 1000-3? And just to be clear, the plug you linked can be used to direct power to a back up light that lights when you go into reverse, anytime, whether or not headlights are on....correct?
Sorry, I don't know if it will fit other years. My guess is that it will but just a guess I sold the Honda a couple years ago so have not been keeping up with them much

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
And yes, the lights come on anytime you go into reverse. Does not matter if lights are on or not

J

jedi2000

Nov 19, 2018
Robinson, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
According to Honda Accessory Instructions. Here is the recommended location for Key On Power for the Honda Pioneer 1000 Side by Side!

Honda suggest tapping the 15A Acc Fuse on the output side. Here you will find 2 WHITE with a BLACK STRIPE wires coming out of the output side of the fuse. You will need to untape the wire bunch to access them. It is recommended that you use a posi-tap (not shown) vs the wire tap-ins (shown) for a better error free connection.

View attachment 8398 View attachment 8399 View attachment 8400
What gauge wire is that?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What gauge wire is that?
Typically 14 to 18 gauge depending upon the wire, size 14 gauge positaps will work perfectly on any of them.

Screenshot 20181222 205956 Chrome

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Rather than cut any wires and splice. I pulled the Acc 15amp fuse & pushed the signal wire for my winch down into the load side of the Acc fuse port & reinstalled the fuse. Seems to work great. You wiring gurus think it will be okay that way long term?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rather than cut any wires and splice. I pulled the Acc 15amp fuse & pushed the signal wire for my winch down into the load side of the Acc fuse port & reinstalled the fuse. Seems to work great. You wiring gurus think it will be okay that way long term?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Personally, I would only do that sort of thing trail side. That connection could loosen, or work itself out over time. Chasing the problem will be a headache. The posi-taps are relatively cheap and a good thing to keep in your trail tool box.

Reactions: hurld and Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Says 16 through 18 P1 3 & 5

Smidgy

Smidgy

May 10, 2017
New Brunswick
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know what connector honda uses so you can just buy the other piece and make your own harness?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!