BOX1

Kids Safety Discussion

S

schlepprock250

Jun 14, 2018
Nc
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey gang. My Pioneer ownership is still in the planning stage. I'm a site lurker and haven't been out with yall yet. But please for the love of God put helmets on the kids.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and sharp
S

schlepprock250

Jun 14, 2018
Nc
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well like I said I've been lurking and researching, certainly not a troll. I love and appreciate this site and the group but having a SXS on one wheel going up a rough Rocky location with small kids simply strapped with a mere seat belt without a helmet doesn't make good sense. If the weekend warriors want to do this while doing elbow exercises that's fine, to each his own. But we as parents have a responsibility to make the decisions that our children can't.
OK.. Rant over

Reactions: Mopower58 and sharp
J

JTW

Well like I said I've been lurking and researching, certainly not a troll. I love and appreciate this site and the group but having a SXS on one wheel going up a rough Rocky location with small kids simply strapped with a mere seat belt without a helmet doesn't make good sense. If the weekend warriors want to do this while doing elbow exercises that's fine, to each his own. But we as parents have a responsibility to make the decisions that our children can't.
OK.. Rant over

Did you have seat belts in cars when you grew up?

J

JTW

And while I agree it’s a parents job to take care of their kids.. and drinking while driving with the kids isn’t a great idea. It’s the parents decision and they’re the ones that have to live with the consequences of their actions... But if you drive like you have some sense and don’t push the limits when the kids are with you. Then there’s no reason. Do you wear a helmet in your car? Do the kids? And remember, what one person looks at and sees as stupid or challenging may just be the limit of their capabilities. For some.. a gravel road is a “trail”.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK.. Rant over

And while I agree it’s a parents job to take care of their kids.. and drinking while driving with the kids isn’t a great idea. It’s the parents decision and they’re the ones that have to live with the consequences of their actions... But if you drive like you have some sense and don’t push the limits when the kids are with you. Then there’s no reason. Do you wear a helmet in your car? Do the kids? And remember, what one person looks at and sees as stupid or challenging may just be the limit of their capabilities. For some.. a gravel road is a “trail”.

I see both sides I’m not taking little ones up a trail that can flip/roll a machine period. I tend to avoid those in general. I will take a trail where there’s a chance of a slow mo layover. Where it may lay on its side or against a bank. I’ve so far done neither because use what little sense I have between my ears. I will take a challenging trail but I won’t be stupid.

I also have been searching for a full helmet light enough for a 4yo neck and haven’t found one yet. Mine is also in a car seat not the pioneer seat. She is 98% for height and weight for her age so she’s not a tiny tot. She is taller and more muscular than some 6-7 year olds in my wife’s 1st grade class.

So common sense, side nets, UV polarized goggles and a quality dust mask, along with the car seat is the best I got right now.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The rules are pretty simple for us....if you don't put a helmet and goggles on you don't ride. Broken bones usually heal....brain damage is usually pretty damn permanent...and as far as I know eye loss is still pretty permanent too.

Begin rant...(fair warning)
My son has had a dirt bike since he was two. He was always below height/weight averages until his teens. Helmets were never an issue to find. Nothing fancy, but he always had a full face helmet and googles on. Granted a SxS is not a dirt bike, but the head hitting a rops bar or seat back isn't any better than it hitting the ground. Because helmets were instilled at an early age he still wears one every time we ride without argument. He just asked me two weeks ago if he can take his helmet to his Mom's because he wants to go ride at his cousins house and the helmet he has here is a lot more comfortable (his words and obvious forethought).

As a parent...picture that kiddo in the ER (or ICU) before it is too late to make the choice. $75 or $100 on a helmet and any arguing it takes to make them wear it at first is well worth it. Not many of us intentionally take these multi-thousand dollar machines out with the intent of crashing them, but sometimes things happen. You can do absolutely everything right and have some a-hole jump over the top of a hill into you or t-bone you from another trail or because they went too hot into a corner and crash into you or a limb rips a brake line going down hill or 100 other things.

FFS they make the kiddo's wear batting helmets in t-ball with soft core balls. I'd venture to guess that t-ball is statistically pretty damn safe in terms of a head injury. It is all fun and games until it isn't though. Things get real and serious in a hurry.
...End Rant

J

JTW

The rules are pretty simple for us....if you don't put a helmet and goggles on you don't ride. Broken bones usually heal....brain damage is usually pretty damn permanent...and as far as I know eye loss is still pretty permanent too.

My son has had a dirt bike since he was two. He was always below height/weight averages until his teens. Helmets were never an issue to find. Nothing fancy, but he always had a full face helmet and googles on. Granted a SxS is not a dirt bike, but the head hitting a rops bar or seat back isn't any better than it hitting the ground. Because helmets were instilled at an early age he still wears one every time we ride without argument. He just asked me two weeks ago if he can take his helmet to his Mom's because he wants to go ride at his cousins house and the helmet he has here is a lot more comfortable (his words and obvious forethought).

As a parent...picture that kiddo in the ER (or ICU) before it is too late to make the choice. $75 or $100 on a helmet and any arguing it takes to make them wear it at first is well worth it. Not many of us intentionally take these multi-thousand dollar machines out with the intent of crashing them, but sometimes things happen. You can do absolutely everything right and have some a-hole jump over the top of a hill into you or t-bone you from another trail or because they went too hot into a corner and crash into you or a limb rips a brake line going down hill or 100 other things.

FFS they make the kiddo's wear batting helmets in t-ball with soft core balls. I'd venture to guess that t-ball is statistically pretty damn safe in terms of a head injury. It is all fun and games until it isn't though. Things get real and serious in a hurry.
...End Rant
Does he wear the helmet in the car?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

...End Rant

Agree with you. I have a friend who has posted on FB about a long time friend of his, that I do not know, that had a SxS accident where his head hit the ROPS and caused brain swelling. I had been on the fence for a while and because of that I ordered a fresh air system for helmets for the Pioneer and I already have a helmet that will work with it. I get it, but until I can find a helmet that fits her, unfortunately she won't have a full face one. Too heavy of a helmet will cause a neck injury, possibly a severe one, if something happens. Right now the only helmet in the weight range that is comfortable for her that is full face and is a carbon fiber one thats $2700. While there are several XS helmets that fit her she can barely hold her head up they are so heavy. She can wear her bike helmet for now and her car seat is heavily padded and is one of the highest rated for car crashes. Once her neck is strong enough for a heavier helmet I'll have her in a heavier helmet. She will probably be in a booster seat/standard harness by that point.

Hunter Safety Products makes a NICE booster seat for the tiny tots that I have considered as well but the car seat FITS much better and is crash tested, so I am inclined to use it instead. Right now I have it anchored with the factory middle belt and the LATCH system as a extra point of attachment, since the middle belt isn't a locking belt like in a car.

T-ball is probably more for the bat than the ball but point made.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The condom convo is going to be real awkward when he’s standing at the urinal in high school and has to peel it off and put it back on to take a leak!

We've had the no glove no love conversation. Fortunately he is smart enough not to try to bang the urinal. If he wasn't then I wouldn't have to worry about protecting the brain in his head.

J

JTW

I get it... but I’m of the mind set that when it’s your time it’s your time. Do what you can within reason and use some sense. I’m a firm believer in restraints in a sxs and helmets on dirt bikes but again. s*** happens that’s beyond our control. Put little ones in car seats and don’t drink with them. I think a helmet on a little one will cause more harm than good!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree with you. I have a friend who has posted on FB about a long time friend of his, that I do not know, that had a SxS accident where his head hit the ROPS and caused brain swelling. I had been on the fence for a while and because of that I ordered a fresh air system for helmets for the Pioneer and I already have a helmet that will work with it. I get it, but until I can find a helmet that fits her, unfortunately she won't have a full face one. Too heavy of a helmet will cause a neck injury, possibly a severe one, if something happens. Right now the only helmet in the weight range that is comfortable for her that is full face and is a carbon fiber one thats $2700. While there are several XS helmets that fit her she can barely hold her head up they are so heavy. She can wear her bike helmet for now and her car seat is heavily padded and is one of the highest rated for car crashes. Once her neck is strong enough for a heavier helmet I'll have her in a heavier helmet. She will probably be in a booster seat/standard harness by that point.

Hunter Safety Products makes a NICE booster seat for the tiny tots that I have considered as well but the car seat FITS much better and is crash tested, so I am inclined to use it instead. Right now I have it anchored with the factory middle belt and the LATCH system as a extra point of attachment, since the middle belt isn't a locking belt like in a car.

T-ball is probably more for the bat than the ball but point made.

They make a leatt style neck brace for the little ones too. Essentially it can help support the helmet with the shoulders.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatt-Black-Junior-Neck-Brace/dp/B071L3Z4FZ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I'm not claiming to have all the answers or know what is best in every situation here. Overall, the car seat could be the safer way to go. I do commend you for using it. I have no doubt it is a safer option than just the seat belts alone. Truly I hope none of us ever find out what does or doesn't work.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get it... but I’m of the mind set that when it’s your time it’s your time. Do what you can within reason and use some sense. I’m a firm believer in restraints in a sxs and helmets on dirt bikes but again. s*** happens that’s beyond our control. Put little ones in car seats and don’t drink with them. I think a helmet on a little one will cause more harm than good!
"use some sense" .... that alone goes a long damn way for sure.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They make a leatt style neck brace for the little ones too. Essentially it can help support the helmet with the shoulders.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatt-Black-Junior-Neck-Brace/dp/B071L3Z4FZ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I'm not claiming to have all the answers or know what is best in every situation here. Overall, the car seat could be the safer way to go. I do commend you for using it. I have no doubt it is a safer option than just the seat belts alone. Truly I hope none of us ever find out what does or doesn't work.

IF I were driving like I was in a race maybe a neck brace but, there is a fine line between getting your kids into a hobby and keeping them safe and pushing them away by making it so difficult and uncomfortable its not enjoyable. Hence why I have gone the conservative ROUTES/Trails and been extremely conservative when my daughter is in the machine. I want her to have fun with dad and be safe. If she is so uncomfortable she doesn't enjoy it then theres little chance she will continue to be interested in going riding.

I sm going to pull these posts and put them in another thread.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depending on what kind of riding we do determines how much safety gear we use. (Trails vs putting around). A huge improvement from when I was a kid. Dad would yell "hang on son" that was about the extent of safety precautions.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!