Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I originally bored the plastic one to match. It might have helped but nothing really noticeable. I swapped to aluminum for the turbo. I would say its more of a piece of mind since you can really tighten the boots down.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone running one?
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

I have a different brand that is also 49mm. Unlike what he states in his video, mine lined up to the bores perfectly.

Useless garbage (at higher altitudes anyway), absolutely no difference for me, even with a "matching" tune. The tune actually made it worse. All sales hype. There are only 2 ways to noticeably increase your power. Internal engine mods or the Turbo. Everything else is so minor that the cost per HP is so high it isn't worth it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I have a different brand that is also 49mm. Unlike what he states in his video, mine lined up to the bores perfectly.

Useless garbage (at higher altitudes anyway), absolutely no difference for me, even with a "matching" tune. The tune actually made it worse. All sales hype. There are only 2 ways to noticeably increase your power. Internal engine mods or the Turbo. Everything else is so minor that the cost per HP is so high it isn't worth it.
AW, Grass hopper you see the light now! HA!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Let me continue my RANT about aftermarket power mods. Honda did a pretty decent job of getting every last bit of power out of the Talon and still maintain EPA and CARB compliance. It is a balancing act and I am actually quite impressed. Even the stock exhaust is very good, hell it is good enough to get 160+ HP out of the engine by simply slapping on a Turbo.

I spent quite a bit of money on alleged "power increase" mods and all of them in aggregate added ZERO noticeable power. Noise and worse fuel economy? YES! Power? NONE that I could determine. I do not have a Dyno but 0-30, 0-40 and 0-60 average test times barely changed and some of the mods made the times worse. I have lost count of the 0-XX runs and my neighbors are probably sick and tired of me doing them.

I had some crazy 0-XX runs (both stock and modded) and just dismissed them as flukes. Anyone can take the worst stock dyno run, compare it to the best modded run and make anything look good. I am now convinced this is what we see most of the time on these "performance" mod websites. You will notice one key phrase used all the time to cover their asses. For instance, "UP TO 10 HP gains!" could mean anything from 1 to 10 depending on which stock run was compared to which modded run and and I am starting to think the truth is WAY closer to 1 than it is 10.

Here is my experience...
  • 49mm air intake like posted here - No improvement but still on the machine because I am simply too lazy to remove it. $90 in the toilet.
  • DynoJet PV3 - This thing is basically useless. Tried many different tunes but there is an unidentified altitude compensation problem that is not fixable by the end user so anything but the stock tune runs WAY too rich up here. I am back to the stock tune plus 300 RPM rev limit and lower fan temps. Not worth the hundreds spent whatsoever.
  • HMF Full Exhaust - Nothing but a real expensive noise maker. I admit it sounded great but it started to wear on me. Tore it off and sold it and lost my ass.
All that being said, I do believe that SOME of these mods are more effective closer to sea level but you will spend $2,000 and get a TRUE 5 HP (maybe 10 but I highly doubt it). The trade off is just not worth it if you are looking for power. The only mod that is worth anything is exhaust but that is purely for sound only. If you want something that sounds better, just get a slip on, don't do a full system.

END RANT!!!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm learning to really like the Talon's exhaust note, it's like having a big block Chebby back there. The last thing I want is a louder exhaust, regardless of HP gains.

Reactions: Iowamike
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Let me continue my RANT about aftermarket power mods. Honda did a pretty decent job of getting every last bit of power out of the Talon and still maintain EPA and CARB compliance. It is a balancing act and I am actually quite impressed. Even the stock exhaust is very good, hell it is good enough to get 160+ HP out of the engine by simply slapping on a Turbo.

I spent quite a bit of money on alleged "power increase" mods and all of them in aggregate added ZERO noticeable power. Noise and worse fuel economy? YES! Power? NONE that I could determine. I do not have a Dyno but 0-30, 0-40 and 0-60 average test times barely changed and some of the mods made the times worse. I have lost count of the 0-XX runs and my neighbors are probably sick and tired of me doing them.

I had some crazy 0-XX runs (both stock and modded) and just dismissed them as flukes. Anyone can take the worst stock dyno run, compare it to the best modded run and make anything look good. I am now convinced this is what we see most of the time on these "performance" mod websites. You will notice one key phrase used all the time to cover their asses. For instance, "UP TO 10 HP gains!" could mean anything from 1 to 10 depending on which stock run was compared to which modded run and and I am starting to think the truth is WAY closer to 1 than it is 10.

Here is my experience...
  • 49mm air intake like posted here - No improvement but still on the machine because I am simply too lazy to remove it. $90 in the toilet.
  • DynoJet PV3 - This thing is basically useless. Tried many different tunes but there is an unidentified altitude compensation problem that is not fixable by the end user so anything but the stock tune runs WAY too rich up here. I am back to the stock tune plus 300 RPM rev limit and lower fan temps. Not worth the hundreds spent whatsoever.
  • HMF Full Exhaust - Nothing but a real expensive noise maker. I admit it sounded great but it started to wear on me. Tore it off and sold it and lost my ass.
All that being said, I do believe that SOME of these mods are more effective closer to sea level but you will spend $2,000 and get a TRUE 5 HP (maybe 10 but I highly doubt it). The trade off is just not worth it if you are looking for power. The only mod that is worth anything is exhaust but that is purely for sound only. If you want something that sounds better, just get a slip on, don't do a full system.

END RANT!!!
Do u have the wideband add on? Turbo? I'll look tonight at any differences between the talon and pioneer altitude compensation.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do u have the wideband add on? Turbo? I'll look tonight at any differences between the talon and pioneer altitude compensation.
Wideband yes, Turbo no.

Don't bother with the altitude compensation tables, they are correct and work fine with the stock tune. It is when you load a custom tune that alters the fuel tables that something goes haywire and fiddling with the Barometric Compensation tables does no good (trust me, I spent months messing with it). There is something wrong with the base/backend programming (the bootup eprom so to speak) and the PV-3 doesn't have a way for us end users to access that stuff. Someone at DynoJet needs to look into it. Maybe someone like Hess can figure it out, he has figured out how to add Launch Control so it appears he knows how to work (or has hacked) the back end.

I got so frustrated that I emails Jackson about it to see if they had figured it out (turbos were running at 9:1 at higher altitudes) and he actually called me back and we discussed it. Took them months to figure out what the cause was and how to fix it. They just released a firmware to fix the altitude compensation problem on the Talon but have no plans to do anything for the N/A units. He said Honda is not interested in the fix because the stock tune works just fine (which it does).

hotrod8605

hotrod8605

Sep 26, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did the kms adapter. And I have to agree with PaulF on this. However I put it on at the same time I added my 32” tires on bead locks. So that extra weight and rotating mass would mitigate the 9 hp gain kms claims and some extra.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!