P1000 "L"ow range stinks

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 2018 Pioneer 1000-3 base, used with 381 miles and 40 hours on it. It now has about 450 miles on it. I have a Ranger and I expected Honda to do at least as good as Polaris, but I'm still trying to get used to this automatic transmission. I guess I kinda expected a Civic like transmission, but if they put this thing in a Civic they'd never sell one. I did test drive it when I bought it, but I concentrated more on proper shifting in and out of drive modes and faster riding, all seemed well. Maybe I should have ridden it around slowly more than I did.

First of all, this thing is a monster in High range, and will go from 0 to scary in 2.2 seconds. Rides solid and handles well. The engine is the strongest I've felt in any off road vehicle. But most of my use is around the farm, hauling stuff, riding through the fields, going up trails to a deer stand, etc. So I rarely go over 15 mph and use turf mode most of the time. From what I've read here (and in the owner's manual) I should be using Low. But in low, it is Jerky to take off, shifts hard (and loud), and holds a gear forever (4500+ rpms) even when I am feathering the gas to try & get it to shift sooner. It's just not an enjoyable ride with it screaming the rpms and giving me and my passenger whiplash.

I have adjusted both shifter cables as per the instructions on a post here, they were off, but not much. I don't have any problem getting it to change drive modes or gears. I keep reading here that it will "get quieter and smoother with miles/hours", but this low range is nearly impossible to drive reasonably smooth. Will it really kill the tranny to use high when I'm puttin' around the farm?

Will "resetting" the transmission help me out? I have read here about the procedure to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Ride it around the farm in hi.
Low range is needed when you are working the engine too hard at low speed.
Like churning threw thick mud or you have a wheel wedged between big rocks on the trail.

For putting around the farm gear it up, hi range, and make the engine work a little to smooth it out.
It's probably not a mirical cure but should be an improvment.
Try it, give it a week and see what you think.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a 2018 Pioneer 1000-3 base, used with 381 miles and 40 hours on it. It now has about 450 miles on it. I have a Ranger and I expected Honda to do at least as good as Polaris, but I'm still trying to get used to this automatic transmission. I guess I kinda expected a Civic like transmission, but if they put this thing in a Civic they'd never sell one. I did test drive it when I bought it, but I concentrated more on proper shifting in and out of drive modes and faster riding, all seemed well. Maybe I should have ridden it around slowly more than I did.

First of all, this thing is a monster in High range, and will go from 0 to scary in 2.2 seconds. Rides solid and handles well. The engine is the strongest I've felt in any off road vehicle. But most of my use is around the farm, hauling stuff, riding through the fields, going up trails to a deer stand, etc. So I rarely go over 15 mph and use turf mode most of the time. From what I've read here (and in the owner's manual) I should be using Low. But in low, it is Jerky to take off, shifts hard (and loud), and holds a gear forever (4500+ rpms) even when I am feathering the gas to try & get it to shift sooner. It's just not an enjoyable ride with it screaming the rpms and giving me and my passenger whiplash.

I have adjusted both shifter cables as per the instructions on a post here, they were off, but not much. I don't have any problem getting it to change drive modes or gears. I keep reading here that it will "get quieter and smoother with miles/hours", but this low range is nearly impossible to drive reasonably smooth. Will it really kill the tranny to use high when I'm puttin' around the farm?

Will "resetting" the transmission help me out? I have read here about the procedure to do this.
I've use mine on farm on trails in high 4400 miles now love it, use your paddle shifters in auto tell it when to shift it will learn your shifting preferences . Might buy one of the throttle pedal extensions looks like barn hinge makes it way easier to feather

J

JTW

And here I wish low was 50% lower. As said... use high around the farm unless you have the pioneer loaded or are pulling something heavy. The clutches are fully engaged at 2 grand. So just be mindful as you’re putting around in high that you’re rpms are at least that high. Also, don’t forget you have paddle shifters and can lug in a higher gear if you’re putting around.

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also, don’t forget you have paddle shifters and can lug in a higher gear if you’re putting around.[/QUOTE

No paddle shifters here, no tilt steering either as it's a base model. I did put power steering on it though!

Reactions: BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No paddle shifters here, no tilt steering either as it's a base model. I did put power steering on it though!
Like said probably roll around what you’re doing in high. The shifting does smooth out after she breaks in and gets its first oil change after.
Not having paddles in this rig kills off a lot imo. I’m personally almost always in manual, it’s too easy that way to always have the right rpm. There are a few that would just prefer the belt.

Last edited:
Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
Mine wasn't shifting until crazy high rpms and was really jerky also. I took it in and the dealership replaced my clutches. It rides smooth now.

Reactions: Lofar and BWAF
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
after the dealer did the "fan update" on my 2018 1k5, low shifted ENTIRELY different. much improved. may be worth looking into.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
99% of the time I am in HIGH and in TURF mode. Works fine. Agreed LOW is too herky jerky. I also use the paddles to get into 2nd gear right away when going slow around the farm.

Reactions: dnjones161
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sticking in high is the other option. I want to say the book says as long as you are >5mph and not climbing any massive hills high is the correct gear

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I run mine in high most of the time.

Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like everyone said, Hi gear and the gas peddle attachment will help make it less jerky

E

Ed_Dyer

Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2018
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The jerky take-offs, and perhaps stops, are a result of Honda's design compromises with their dual-clutch tranmission. On many (or most) 1000's, you're not allowed to travel at speeds above 0 mph but below something like 3 mph. I can only assume that this is Honda's attempt to maximize clutch life. If you're trying to be at 1.5 mph, say, if you were trying to back up onto a trailer, you'll be jerked either down to 0 or up to ~3 mph. Some people once succeeded at sustaining illegal speeds (like 1.5 mph) and most of them complained of premature clutch failure. I'm assumimg that we got a close-ratio transmission for the same reason: to maximize clutch life, despite the application calling for a wide-ratio transmission. Those who think the P1000 is a race machine will differ with me, I'm sure.
(Sorry, no pics)

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The jerky take-offs, and perhaps stops, are a result of Honda's design compromises with their dual-clutch tranmission. On many (or most) 1000's, you're not allowed to travel at speeds above 0 mph but below something like 3 mph. I can only assume that this is Honda's attempt to maximize clutch life. If you're trying to be at 1.5 mph, say, if you were trying to back up onto a trailer, you'll be jerked either down to 0 or up to ~3 mph. Some people once succeeded at sustaining illegal speeds (like 1.5 mph) and most of them complained of premature clutch failure. I'm assumimg that we got a close-ratio transmission for the same reason: to maximize clutch life, despite the application calling for a wide-ratio transmission. Those who think the P1000 is a race machine will differ with me, I'm sure.
(Sorry, no pics)

I don't differ with you, but I also don't think my P1000 is a race machine. I like it, but I am very disappointed in it's low speed performance. I guess I don't like being told I can't... drive between 0 & 3 mph. Honda can do better.

Reactions: duramaxman05
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lower low range and reverse would be awesome. Especially crawling over rocks or backing a trailer. Honda could easily do that. They would still have 6 gears in low and could keep the 35mph speed limit easily. That is my only complaint with p1k5. It's an absolute beast of a machine.

Reactions: JTW and TripleB
P

PioneerDuluth

Mar 28, 2018
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 P1K base model and have had all the updates done over the years. I've noticed when I'm in low range, it likes to hang out in first gear until the rpms are really up there, then a pretty heavy hard shift to second, then to third, fourth, fifth and sixth, it shifts easier. Personally, I like the fact that it lingers in first. When I'm really working the machine, like towing an entire 23 year old spruce tree across my yard, down the road, and to the burn pile, the machine isn't searching for gears. It's just locked in and working. I've learned that I can do about 18-20 mph in low range and cruise my road without RPMing the snot out of my engine. At that speed, the RPMs are like I'm doing 40-45 in high range. You just have to get comfortable pushing through first two gears in low.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!