SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks for the post, I'm doing some research still. Seems 32" carnivores (spelling) are the recommended tires.

I'll be riding mud/dirt, and coal piles mainly. Some rocky conditions but mostly old trails. No sand or anything like that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The carnivores are on the lighter side of the spectrum for 32’s. Weight should be a consideration in your wheel and tire combo. I have the R with 32 carnies and it did suck some power on the top gears. Not so noticeable in the first 3 gears or on the trails but you feel it in the sand. For 99% of my riding it was a worthwhile trade off for the improved ground clearance and ride.

Reactions: Hometeam and CID
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I honestly didn't notice a power difference on my x2 when I went to 32" rock-a-billys. Really didn't notice a difference in gearing either at trail speeds. Definitely noticed a diffence in break over clearance, and the capability of the increased size. We do a lot of crawling and I was concerned about power loss and gear ratio (already think it is a little high and am/was considering an IGR) but was pleasanlty suprised with how I really can't tell a difference. I also can't stand rubbing, and my setup resulted in zero rubbing under any conditions.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
One other benefit to add. Since the stock tire size side walls are short, they ride pretty rough. Going up to a 30" will increase the side wall and ride quality will greatly improve. I live just east of you a bit and run 30" IPT Blackwaters on beadlocks for the wet. But also run 30" Tusk Terrbites on the stock rims for around home on pavement and during the dry days. Both ride much better than stock, both have their pluses and minuses. Carnivores are a great all around tire, but I didn't want to go up to a 32".

M

mikenamys

Apr 9, 2021
PENNSYLVANIA
Ownership

1. Talon X
32" M1 EVILS (best tire on the planet..bought on recommendation from buddy living down Hatfield that runs Outlaw trails all the time) mounted on System 3 BLs...Shock Therapy Springs all around. I can squeeze a 5 gallon bucket under it...yes, those are 4 Rockford Fosgate 4 way 6x9s overhead...no, i don't buy....i build...

20200510 142837 20200705 090356

Last edited:
B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon x4
If you don't want the loss of torque from using larger wheels and like to spend lots of money, do a web search for 'honda talon portal gear lift'. You can actually specify a gear reduction to get more torque at the expense of top end of course and get more clearance to boot. BTW if you do this be sure to test your scissor jack if that's what you carry with you.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
If you don't want the loss of torque from using larger wheels and like to spend lots of money, do a web search for 'honda talon portal gear lift'. You can actually specify a gear reduction to get more torque at the expense of top end of course and get more clearance to boot. BTW if you do this be sure to test your scissor jack if that's what you carry with you.
And add 8” of width......😳
IGR is less expensive but more work to install...🤔

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon x4
And add 8” of width......😳
IGR is less expensive but more work to install...🤔
An IGR won't give any height will it? Also looks like a pretty involved install. Anyway I saw a guy who had the portals on his sxs and then put on tractor tires! That thing just ate up the trail.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
An IGR won't give any height will it? Also looks like a pretty involved install. Anyway I saw a guy who had the portals on his sxs and then put on tractor tires! That thing just ate up the trail.
No, IGR doesn’t give any height. It’s installed inside. It is an involved install. I’ll be taking mine to an authorized installer.

ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
Bigger tires clear more obstacles, better approach angle, better departure angle and better break over angle. While not race friendly, they can make the difference between winching or driving through a lot of trail obstacles. The Talon has enough torque friendly power to accommodate 32’s with ease. Down side is a higher center of gravity (easier to tip over) and you’re not going to win any drag races. May also hold you back in the dunes.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Have only been to 6000’, but didn’t notice any difference there, how high are you talking?
I ride between 7500’ and 10,000’
Stock 28’s were giving a challenge, I went with 30’s because so much clearance issues and of course compounded the problem. I’ll be having an IGR installed to compensate....

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!