Talon Launch Control

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
So how does the Launch Mode work? What does it do? I have seen launch control on shows like Top Gear and exotic cars and understand the concept. How do you launch your Talon without it? I have been just taking my foot off the brake and mashing the gas. Seems slow. Any ideas? I have thought about mashing the brake and hitting the gas just before launch and releasing the brake to get her going. Haven't tried it yet. Just curious how the experts do it.

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So how does the Launch Mode work? What does it do? I have seen launch control on shows like Top Gear and exotic cars and understand the concept. How do you launch your Talon without it? I have been just taking my foot off the brake and mashing the gas. Seems slow. Any ideas? I have thought about mashing the brake and hitting the gas just before launch and releasing the brake to get her going. Haven't tried it yet. Just curious how the experts do it.

As is without launch control, if you hold the brakes and the gas at same time, ECU overrides and limits throttle input as a safety precaution.

With launch control on the Talon, you press the button which tells the ECU to allow both paddles to be pulled back, disengaging the clutches while you can mash the gas, then when you let go of the paddles, the clutches engage thus power launching the Talon from a stop.

All CVT cannot do this as it will damage the belt, so it gives the Talon a distinct advantage off the line in competitive situations.

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
With launch control on the Talon, you press the button which tells the ECU to allow both paddles to be pulled back, disengaging the clutches while you can mash the gas, then when you let go of the paddles, the clutches engage thus power launching the Talon from a stop.
So the clutches are controlled electrically? I guess it make sense, so they can shift. It sounds like this could be retrofitted to the existing Talon if they have a mind to.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It's just like having a clutch pedal, but using the paddles to disengage, rev and release the paddles like dumping a manual clutch. It will be pretty much the same as the YXZ system here.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's just like having a clutch pedal, but using the paddles to disengage, rev and release the paddles like dumping a manual clutch. It will be pretty much the same as the YXZ system here.

AND why do you launch feature for trails? All this technology is getting stupid, even racing, you take a doofus that can't make a good start and add technology and there a pro. I used to stall brake my GTO and take off like the wind!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wonder how the clutches are gonna like that specially with aggressive tires in mud
Only an idiot would try to use that function in a mud hole. But those same idiot's think a sport machine built for speed and handling makes a good mud bug just because they can put 35s on it without a lift.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
AND why do you launch feature for trails? All this technology is getting stupid, even racing, you take a doofus that can't make a good start and add technology and there a pro. I used to stall brake my GTO and take off like the wind!
It's mostly for racing. I could have used it on the YXZ a couple times on the trail and forgot I had it. Nothing crazy but launching around 4k rpm it helpful sometimes.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Only an idiot would try to use that function in a mud hole. But those same idiot's think a sport machine built for speed and handling makes a good mud bug just because they can put 35s on it without a lift.
What about repetitively on the street. :oops:

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is Thursday your sensitive day? HA! Just giving you crap! HA!

C

Clarke180

Sep 7, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
As is without launch control, if you hold the brakes and the gas at same time, ECU overrides and limits throttle input as a safety precaution.

All CVT cannot do this as it will damage the belt, so it gives the Talon a distinct advantage off the line in competitive situations.

What "launch control"??? My Talon doesn't have it that o know of.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What "launch control"??? My Talon doesn't have it that o know of.

Only one of the 4 Talon models feature Launch Control at this time, it is the 4 seat Live Valve Edition.

This feature may be made available to the other models in the future but not for 2019 & 2020 2 seat models.

Reactions: Clarke180
D

dynodusty

Oct 29, 2019
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Word is Dynojet is coming out with an update for 2019 models that have this feature added along with DCT tuning on the Power Vision

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The launch control switch grounds pin 19 on the ecm.
I will give it a try hopefully tommorow evening if I get off from work early enough.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The launch control switch grounds pin 19 on the ecm.
I will give it a try hopefully tommorow evening if I get off from work early enough.
What... no way...
It cant be as simple as changing out the HSA switch... can it?

Pull your HSA switch out and ground the brown and red wire. That is pin A19. Fb11e18d655652f22dc8d4253078da0c

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gonna be a min, I know someone nearby that has one if I can convince him to let me dicker with it.
All we need to know now is the process to Launch.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!