Future Leaked Honda Patents - Is a Mid-sized Sport SXS in the works for 2022?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
680 sport4

Leaked images from a Honda patent show a new SXS we have not seen yet with many features commonly found in the racing industry. A beadless design with a high flow radiator, midframe engine, and spare tire holder... Yet, it is also is shown with a fully independent double-wishbone suspension and not the trailing arms most racers are after.

Other visible features include:
  • REAR RADIATOR
  • FULL BUCKET SEATS
  • MID-FRAME ENGINE.
  • RACE STYLE BUMPER
  • SPARE TIRE-READY REAR FRAME.
  • DOORLESS FRAME
Looking at the sizing, it looks kinda small. Our best guess would be a mid-size sport UTV. While we expect it could be a 680 sport, we would prefer Honda dropping (or improving) the 3 speed and giving us a DCT. Yet a redesign 19-year-old, 650/680, drivetrain to incorporate a sub-transmission for High and Low could do the trick and breathing new life into a 2-decade old design.

So, do you think we could see this in the coming years? Maybe 2022? Probably not!
With the current market, I would expect any new models to get pushed back until things calm down.

680 sport

680 sport3

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If its a single cylinder 700 it can have 55 hp and need at least a 4 speed trans with the torque converter. I think it will be a 700 twin and weigh around 1,100 pounds if it has Nascar type doors. I'm used to a Nascar entry and had solid doors on my Teryx.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If its a single cylinder 700 it can have 55 hp and need at least a 4 speed trans with the torque converter. I think it will be a 700 twin and weigh around 1,100 pounds if it has Nascar type doors. I'm used to a Nascar entry and had solid doors on my Teryx.
Well...let's hope so.

I mean...Honda can be tone deaf...but to the point of sticking 36hp in a "sport" machine? Surely there is a new power plant on the way?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Stance and width looks a lot like like first gen Wolverine minus the bed. Need to get ponies up and add a few gears for it to sell.
Did notice hinge holes clearly visible. Would hope it’s got doors, betcha it has pioneer headlights lol.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Maybe a new 700? As they just did P520 (Still underpowered) . 50 inch restrictions are still a PITA. Heck, my little smooth riding Polaris Ace 570 puts out 44 hp and does 50-60 mph. Honda does need to step it up. Thanks for posting.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Thought about it on my E-Bike ride today. I think it will have the Talon engine with different cams for around 90 to 95 hp. They need to keep the cost down so using the Talon engine makes sense and it has some improvements over the Pioneer engine and a lower reverse gear. It would be stupid to not have doors. It looks like it has the front dif clutch like the Talon and I like the front drive shaft joints. The Talon might get that upgrade next year. With the 1,000 cc engine a shorter 4 seat model would be popular. I'm fortunate to have 2 Talons and by putting 30,000 miles on both I should not need a new one for 3 years. With workers getting sick and having to deal with parts shortages I don't expect to see any of the brands in the show rooms for a few years.

I told the guys a month ago the virus problem will get way worse. The more contagious and deadly Delta mutation is filling up the hospitals in some states now. Its really hard on the hospital workers having to deal with someone dying everyday.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My cousins daughter is a nurse, she sent this picture. I have a few family members that won’t get the vaccine but I expect as some get sick or die that will change. One canceled her vaccine appointment to wait on the J & J one shot vaccine. She got the virus and died.

Nurse

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
sad news if its 500 single, but i like the concept pics, seats look kind of high but that ok i don't ride over water higher then seat anyways,,.......Just hope its a little faster then the 500 and stays under 60'' and will do 110kph...not asking for much..
still love my 17 pioneer 500...also hope it not a long wait like the talon and as expensive ....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!